Thread: Top FT Scope?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds

Top FT Scope?

I have been PMd a few times asking for a reccomendation for FT scopes so I thought that I'd post my opinion on the subject.
    The Leupold Competition range is the best range finder of them all, with the 45x being the best, the 40x next and the 35x needing more skill and care but a superb rangefinder nevertheless. They are sidewheel scopes and are very compact and light. The only downside is that they are fixed mag. If some way could be found to halve the magnification for standing or kneeling shots they would be the ideal FT scope.
    The 20-50x50 Leupold is a great scope but requires a high level of skill to use effectively and is quite temperature sensitive. They are also a light and compact sidewheel scope.
    The Leupold Mk 4 is a good side wheel range finder but has the same charachteristics as the 20-50 scope and is very sensitive to head/eye position.
    The Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 sidewheel scope is a superb rangefinder second only to the 45x Leupold Competition but suffers from a blind spot from 15 yards to 24 yards where the target cannot be range found but can be viewed at 12x. It is a solid piece of kit and consistant in any temperature. I have been asked about my opinion of the lower mag NFs and having never used them can only conjecture, but I feel that the 32x will not rangefind well.
    The Nightforce 35x FT scope is a superb front parallax scope but is quite bulky and heavy and requires 2 turns of the parralax ring.
    The Schmidt and Bender PM II 5-25x50 is a superb scope being a side wheel scope with superb lenses. The range finding is superb up to 50 yards but between 50-55 is not as good as the Leupold Competition range. The target can be bracketed with the reticle which comes in mil dot or ladder(ie lines)
    The Burris 8-32x44 is a superb scope with unbeatable lenses and it will see the target clearly under any light conditions and is a superb range finder. It's achilles heel however is it's front parralax which can be very stiff and notchy on some scopes. If this scope had a side wheel it would be the top FT scope.
    The Bushnell 8-32x40 is similar to the Burris but is not quite as good but is a superb scope nevertheless.
    Last edited by luddite; 18-01-2007 at 08:48 AM.