Thread: too nice use??

too nice use??

following on from the Mercury S thread - I picked up a late std Mercury .177 today - great I thought looks nice - picked it up - one problem -it is absolutely mint - never had a scope mounted and could literally have come straight out of the box - even the recoil pad is clean and brand new (washer needs replacing though) and the gold lettering is factory fresh

So I was all set to enjoy shooting a nice new rifle - but now don't want to use it (same as my previous 635 magnum deluxe)
    Oh dear.......
    Stu
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Ha ha... Know that feeling only too well . Got a Vulcan MkIII off Good Guy DM80 at the same time as I bought my Super Ten off him, and although he said it was top drawer, I couldn't believe it when it arrived. It was as factory fresh as the day it was made without a single blemish or sign of age (unlike your truly who is well past his sell by date ). Took me two weeks before I'd venture out with it, and a further three before I risked damaging it by fitting a scope! Now I use it quite often, but treat it with reverence (as indeed I do all my kit), and it is still maintaining its very good condition status. Enjoy your new toy and remember it was made for shooting, and these Birmingham made beauties are a bit more robust than we give them credit for (will someone please remind me that I said that when my walnut Mercury "S" .177 arrives in a few days time ). ATB: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I know the feeling also Stu. If you're a collector who likes to shoot as well as look at your prized items, it's a conflict between buying the best example you can that's a shooter and one that's so perfect you hardly dare pick up in case you damage it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Ha ha... Know that feeling only too well . Got a Vulcan MkIII off Good Guy DM80 at the same time as I bought my Super Ten off him, and although he said it was top drawer, I couldn't believe it when it arrived. It was as factory fresh as the day it was made without a single blemish or sign of age (unlike your truly who is well past his sell by date ). Took me two weeks before I'd venture out with it, and a further three before I risked damaging it by fitting a scope! Now I use it quite often, but treat it with reverence (as indeed I do all my kit), and it is still maintaining its very good condition status. Enjoy your new toy and remember it was made for shooting, and these Birmingham made beauties are a bit more robust than we give them credit for (will someone please remind me that I said that when my walnut Mercury "S" .177 arrives in a few days time ). ATB: Gareth W-B.
    '... or sign of old age ...' Unlike DM80 !!!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk