Thread: 1906 BSA Standard for sale

1906 BSA Standard for sale

Hi everybody, one of my mates is returning to Australia and cannot take his guns with him .

He has a 1919/1920 BSA .177 No 1 to sell. I've photographed it and put it on a site here. I recently cocked it and shot it, and could at a push bung it through my Chrony, but I hardly think that's critical.

The gun appears to be complete, original and a bit scratched. I have done nothing to it for fear of spoiling the patina etc.

He's looking for £150 for the gun. I'm in North Gloucestershire, between Tewkesbury and Worcester, and would prefer a face to face meeting.

I'm not too good on detailing old guns, so please ask if you want further information. I'd love to keep it for myself, but don't have the cash just now!

Regards,

Martin

Addendum - a number of people have suggested this is a 1919 gun, and as I know nothing about old guns I am happy to agree with them. Sorry for any confusion, but I want people to know what's what!
    Last edited by peakecentral; 26-02-2007 at 06:57 AM. Reason: General consensus dates gun at 1919/20

Gareth W-B is online now Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi matey, try contacting BBS member tjg and/or felix gunner as I think they may both be interested in this . ATB: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Not wishing to contradict anybody, your friends BSA looks like a Light Pattern, an early model with a two hole trigger block, push button underlever catch, made in 1919, it also has a factory made foresight protector which is nice and very rare.

The follow on model is the "A" Series, which has BSA Standard etched on top of the cylinder and is very similar but has a sheet metal trigger guard and a trigger adjustment screw, one with the serial no 2344 would have been made in 1937.

HTH

Ben

Yep I agree with Master Shriller. You have a 1919 BSA Light pattern with the two hole trigger block ( the trigger pull is non adjustable and set at the factory) The number is very early and this is borne out by the cast trigger guard. These didn't last long as a strike in the BSA foundry meant that they went onto pressed trigger guards around 1920 or 1921.

Great rifles and even more desirable with the factory sight protector (you can just make out the piled arms logo on the side) which was an optional extra available from BSA and which often rusted away due to the thin metal .

Great Rifles.....

Lakey

Sorry for the confusion

Thanks for all the updates on the date of the gun. If it is a 1919 model, then I apologise to all.

Still for sale, no mater what the date!

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakecentral View Post
    Thanks for all the updates on the date of the gun. If it is a 1919 model, then I apologise to all.

Still for sale, no mater what the date!
    Yes - the incorrect date is my fault - I was in a hurry and read the year off the J. Knibbs serial number index. It is, of course, a 1919 or 1920 Lightweight model...
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Gareth W-B is online now Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Yes - the incorrect date is my fault - I was in a hurry and read the year off the J. Knibbs serial number index. It is, of course, a 1919 or 1920 Lightweight model.
    Ahem, shame on you Paddy ... Go stand in the corner facing the wall while I go and get Mrs Correctional to give you six of the best, and try not to enjoy it as much this time . ATB: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

To the top, please

One final bump...

figjam Guest
    bolox was interested until i saw the condition, be a nice project with someone who has patience. good luck!

kenny

Make me an offer...

Well figjam, you can always make me an offer...

figjam Guest
    Well figjam, you can always make me an offer...
    ok you dared me

£100 quid including postage

i thgink its being quite generous considering the rust has pitted especially over the original makers marks stamp and detail.

wont be to enthusiastic on a reply saying yes, but as me mum always said 'if you dont ask, you wont get'

kenny

Figjam, I'll email the owner, who is now in Aus. Any further negotiation we'll do by PM. But it's complete, and original I believe (he said, opening himself up to lots of trouble), so he may want more. I'll let you know.

Martin

figjam Guest
    Figjam, I'll email the owner, who is now in Aus. Any further negotiation we'll do by PM. But it's complete, and original I believe (he said, opening himself up to lots of trouble), so he may want more. I'll let you know.

Martin
    no problem martin, names kenny by the way!

lok forward to PM