Thread: Webley Senior Pistol - a few questions.

Webley Senior Pistol - a few questions.

I have the pistol, but I don't have a handbook/manual, so I'm going to ask a few questions. Unusually, I'm going to ask the questions before even touching a screwdriver, quite out of character for me!

1) How often am I supposed to put 'oil' where the little arrow tells me to? (Any other lubrication advice?)

2) How easy is it to renew the rubber breech seal?

3) Is it possible to adjust the rearsight for windage?

Thanks
    B.S.A. Airsporter Mark 4 .22" , Webley Osprey .22", Feinwerkbau 300 S .177", Webley Senior .177"

Sign here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/TargetPistols/

Webley Senior.

Hello.

You may find this site of use;

http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/W...ior%20plan.htm

There is no manual, but there is a parts list & parts plan.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

thanks I did know about Chambers. It's more of a care and maintenance question than what bits go where.
    B.S.A. Airsporter Mark 4 .22" , Webley Osprey .22", Feinwerkbau 300 S .177", Webley Senior .177"

I would put a very small amount of oil in and rarely. Maybe best to open up the pistol to check how much lube is in there already since it's so simple to do. The breech seal is easy to replace if I remember that far back. I think you need a dowel or similar of the right size to help locate the new one.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Senior

Hi there Sarf....I've got the bow here but the instructions are fixed to the inside of the lid...so can't scan it. Tried to photo it but my camera can't really pick it out...will post it later.
    Basically.....

Adjustable Backsight If elevation or direction does not suit range or user it can be adjusted laterally or vertically

Oiling In the event of the piston becoming dry a few spots of Webley No.2 oil should be applied through the slot on the top of the air chamber.

Component Parts Component parts can easily be replaced and are always available at moderate prices. Do not remove breech screw.
    When found necessary to change any internal components, first see that the pistol is fired. Remove axis screw from the front end, pull barell back-towards breech end-when the link onthe top of the air chamber can be withdrawn. With the aid of the lug at the muzzle end of the barrel unscrew the cap at the front of the pistol,remove spring guide and mainspring,press trigger back and the piston may then be withdrawn. When reassembling see that the screwed cap at the front end of the body is screwed in so as to allow the axis pin hole to come in line with the wtwo holes in the body. Should the pistol After long service lose velocity or penetration it may be due either to the weakening of the spring or the wearing of the barrel joint washer. Both of these components can be easily replaced. Main springs bearing the WEbley seal, specially tested and recommended can be obtained for replacement when necessary.

Webley Senior .22 Boxed batch no 007
    Webley Junior .177 extended grip fixed rearsight model
    Bsa Airsporter Mark IV 1969-71 no GI 14283
    Webley Victor

They are a cinch to strip and lube. If you buy a replacement breech seal it will be all rubber unlike some of the older ones with a metal inner. New ones simply pop in.

mines leather I'm sure..with a metal inner...does this date the pistol to a certain period??
    Webley Senior .22 Boxed batch no 007
    Webley Junior .177 extended grip fixed rearsight model
    Bsa Airsporter Mark IV 1969-71 no GI 14283
    Webley Victor

Those are the original Senior type.

See this topic for how to strip a Senior and more on breach seals:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...+webley+pistol
    Last edited by felix gunner; 07-03-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Those are the original Senior type.

See this topic for how to strip a Senior and more on breach seals:
    that's a really useful link, thanks, I did do a search on Webley Senior Pistol but I missed that one somehow; and thanks to Gino for the nostalgia box scan!

Try Q.Cobham's book on airgun maintenance. Published by Mini-Maxi Publications at £18.00. I have a copy and it has more than paid for itself.