Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Geometric puzzlement

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I cant find any one piece adjustables for a 30mm tube Baldie, Sportsmatch do just what I want for an inch tube, but only that. I also agree, my gun should have a one piece, i will fit, it will work and I want it but can I find one?

Unless of course you know something I dont (most of you here do )

Cheers
    Barry

Sportsmatch don't do a one piece 30mm adjustable, only 2 piece.

Part/product number : ATP61

"Field tested" on a (nasty recoiling) springer for several thousand pellets firings. No zero shift. I'm happy to report.

HTH.
    To be good, one must do good.

how do they work Baldie...do they slide and pivot to allow the scope to be at a different angle to the rail?

Bought a set of B-Square 30mm mounts today along with the 10mm riser posts.
    Firstly BIG thanks to DEBEN of Melton near Woodbridge, fantastic customer service, went to collect them as I dont live too far away, made me feel like a king, for a 60 quid purchase.

Secondly, what a fabulous piece of engineering these things are, working on a small gimble within bottom half of the mount, they will do the job just fine EXCEPT

THIRDLY!!!! Its bl**dy impossible to get the caps on, they just wont go far enough around the scope tube to give enough to get the tiny screws engaged. All afternoon Ive been at this!

So unless anyone knows what Im missing about these things, In spite of my comments.they will be destined to spend the rest of their miserable existence in the 'crap' bin, 60 quid wasted, cant send em back, entrance to the cap threaded holes scratched to buggary.

Bought a set of B-Square 30mm mounts today along with the 10mm riser posts.
    Firstly BIG thanks to DEBEN of Melton near Woodbridge, fantastic customer service, went to collect them as I dont live too far away, made me feel like a king, for a 60 quid purchase.

Secondly, what a fabulous piece of engineering these things are, working on a small gimble within bottom half of the mount, they will do the job just fine EXCEPT

THIRDLY!!!! Its bl**dy impossible to get the caps on, they just wont go far enough around the scope tube to give enough to get the tiny screws engaged. All afternoon Ive been at this!

So unless anyone knows what Im missing about these things, In spite of my comments.they will be destined to spend the rest of their miserable existence in the 'crap' bin, 60 quid wasted, cant send em back, entrance to the cap threaded holes scratched to buggary.

I have a set of B Square 30mm mounts on weaver clamp and I had EXACTLY the same problem. I got them on using paper to protect the scope tube.

Getting them off wasn't a happy event, and I marked the scope tube.

It's why recommending Sportsmatch is so easy.

I have my doubts these are what I would describe as 'fit for purpose'. Take them and the scope back up to Deben, and get them to show you how it's done. If they can't do it, you'll get your money back.

Or they'll be on your scope.

Can't see how you can lose?

try the wet'n'dry paper . .

Barry,

In your shoes I wouldn't give up just yet, especially seeing as: 1) There's not much else on the market to do what you want, and 2) Apart from this problem, you otherwise seem to like them.

I think the problem is likely to be that the mounts will have been machined to 30mm diameter, then painted/finished, so actually they will be in effect 29.8mm diameter (roughly speaking), and the 'scope tube will be made of 30mm diameter tube and then painted/finished so it will be something like 30.2mm diameter.

Thus you have an 'interference' fit, as you are finding out!

In your shoes, I'd use the abrasive-paper-wrapped-round-the-scope-tube method (see my earlier post) to remove the finish from the inside of the mounts and get yourself a good fit. If they're adjustable two-piece mounts you can do them one at a time.
    B.S.A. Airsporter Mark 4 .22" , Webley Osprey .22", Feinwerkbau 300 S .177", Webley Senior .177"

Sign here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/TargetPistols/

Quote Originally Posted by rfarn View Post
    how do they work Baldie...do they slide and pivot to allow the scope to be at a different angle to the rail?

See link

The adjusters are basically clamps. Move the scope to the correct position, and lock the clamps.

Might be able to post more details in a day or so, as Sportsmatch don't have a .pdf they can send, so have to wait for hardcopy.

for the b-squares, a little swiss file in the upper clamps holes on the outside edge helps give it the room for the screw to bite cleanly and straight.

All my scopes had no problems 2 custom shops and a leup, but my dipped scope had this problem. I thought it was the fact that it was dipped making the tube thicker than it should...and then i recommended them to another club member and he had the same problem on a standard new nikko.

What scope have you put them on?

I think if we can gather some info on this and email b-square they may come up with some answers...i could borrow some calipers and measure the OD of my scopes tubes...but considering its the latter sets that have had this problem, im wondering if something has gone awry.

after we did the work they went on fine...but your right, i dont think this is right on a standard scope and mounts.

Thanks for all the input everyone, I went to the indoor range last night and put my original mounts back on and shimmed the rear one, not ideal, but I need to stop fiddling and start shooting

I have been looking in chairgun and am currently exploring the potential of BKL stuff (one of you posted a link to a dovetail droop compensator), chairgun and that bit of kit correspond nicely at 0.007". Only thing putting me off is cost and availability (add the cost of the mounts to the compensator)

Another thing I noticed about the B Square, the bottom half of the mount is able to rock from side to side, I guess because of the thread tolerance and I dont see how this movement will stop even when the caps are on and all is secure. When I have a little more time I'll put your suggestions to the test.

Many thanks

Barry

the bottom half of the mount is able to rock from side to side
    hmm...thats odd...even without the gub screws nipped up mine have always been tight..i only nip them up just to stop the adjustment screws possibly going loose.

(one of you posted a link to a dovetail droop compensator), chairgun and that bit of kit correspond nicely at 0.007". Only thing putting me off is cost and availability (add the cost of the mounts to the compensator)
    I emailed BKL about shipping to UK. Their response was no because they have an exclusive UK distribution deal with Daystate. Now looking at Daystate's site they do seem to have a fearsome markup on these BKL products. E.g. "302 BKL Scope Mounts - two piece double strap reach forward 30mm - matt black". BKL web price $70, Daystate price £83. Ouch.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I emailed BKL about shipping to UK. Their response was no because they have an exclusive UK distribution deal with Daystate. Now looking at Daystate's site they do seem to have a fearsome markup on these BKL products. E.g. "302 BKL Scope Mounts - two piece double strap reach forward 30mm - matt black". BKL web price $70, Daystate price £83. Ouch.

I've mentioned this before. Even if Daystate were buying them retail, the margin's not bad. Apart from the problem I had with the B Square 30mm's, I've never seen a faulty set of rings so I doubt there are many returns.

I have the Sportsmatch User Destructions here in front of me for their adjustables. The image quality of the piccies is not so great I can replicate it for everyone to see, so I may get myself a set to do my own piccies.

I will also need to check how far the mounts need to be apart, to get the 'magic' 7 degrees .......

I also e mailed BKL and subsequently DayState. 51 quid for the Unitized 6 Screw 3/8" Dovetail 4" Riser then another 36 quid for single strap mounts 300s I think or 70 quid for 301 double strap.

With recoil less pcp I should think single strap would do the job. So around 86quid and job done.

BUT, as someone said, the .007" would only put one 'in the ball park' the scope would be half inch higher than it currently is at 1.75" sight line to bore centre, so the angle would change (according to chairgun) to .010"

Suddenly £86 seems like a lot of money to only get close

I still stand by my desire to be able to optically centre my scope and zero at 35 yards using the mounts in some way, but common practice dictates I should stick with shimming.......all of a sudden I feel a little 'retentive'

Incidentally, when I did centre the scope, I mounted it in the existing mounts and fired a few shots in the indoor range at petes airgun farm, the windage was bang on

Heres an idea!!! 50 quid for the one piece BKL jobbie coupled with SportsMatch adjustables for the fine zeroing. Bang on zero possible for just over a hundred quid.
    Last edited by Barry; 26-03-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Just had a thought

Heres an idea!!! 50 quid for the one piece BKL jobbie coupled with SportsMatch adjustables for the fine zeroing. Bang on zero possible for just over a hundred quid.
    Do you need the BKL bit?

If you can wait a week, I can lend you my Sportsmatch adjustables?

Hi Baldie.
    Sorry I havent got back to you, internet troubles and all that, using someone elses for now.

Thats jolly decent of you mate Ill take you up on a try of those if you dont mind. I've pm'd you my phone number and home address.

Many thanks.
    Barry

Hi Baldie.
    Sorry I havent got back to you, internet troubles and all that, using someone elses for now.

Thats jolly decent of you mate Ill take you up on a try of those if you dont mind. I've pm'd you my phone number and home address.

Many thanks.
    Barry

You sent me a mobile number and a home phone number (that doesn't look right). I have texted your mobile.

I await your reply.