Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Omega .177

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Thumbs up Webley Omega .177

Received my Webley Omega carbine .177 through the post from BBS good guy Inspector 71 (Neil) today , and just wanted to express my gratitude to him for said deal. The rifle itself is in very good clean condition, and is an absolutely marvellous example of the make and model in question . In fact (and I'm expecting some flack for saying this but just don’t care ) IMO the Webley Omega is not only the best all round break barrel air rifle that Webley & Scott ever produced, it is also a better made and engineered rifle than any a BSA break barrel too (and I say this as a devoted BSA Mercury-S .177 owner). As I'm on a role I will go still further here and say that (again IMHO) the Omega is equally as good as my Weihrauch HW95K was when standard , and arguably better given the ergonomics of its stock. It is also better to handle than my Webley Eclipse MkI .177 was, but not quite as good as my MkII . Ha ha. Right then, flack-jackets and battle bowlers on boys, let me have it! ATB : Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    ... [copied from a similar thread currently running in the general section, as is for more interesting than simply the word bump ].

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I have to agree Gareth - the Omega is the best rifle Webley have ever produced IMO beating the Mk3, the Service, Eclipse, the Vulcan (Mk 1 & 2) and the Tracker/Osprey side lever variants.
    Is that a two man flack jacket. .
    ... Ha ha! Hi Ian, I'll get digging our bunker then, but how many for? ... " In Coming " ... .

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I stand by my words - the Omega is the best air rifle EVER produced by Webley I.M.O. Now, if they could have just got that trigger a bit better .....

Bunker for 2 please.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Sorry mate !!! tThe BEST rifle ever was the Mk 111 ? ( In its day !!! )

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Sorry mate !!! tThe BEST rifle ever was the Mk 111 ? ( In its day !!! )
    I give you that Mk3 was well built ('in its day') but THAT trigger and the loading tap is prone to wear The (after thought) scope rail (spot welded) often parts from the cylinder and the rear sight has no built in windage. But apart from that ...

The Omega has, on the other hand, has an adjustable breech bolt AND a barrel latch. Scope rails built into the cylinder with arrestor slots.

ATB
    Ian

I give you that Mk3 was well built ('in its day') but THAT trigger
    I have a Mk3 Supertarget Ian and the trigger is suprisingly good. Light, smooth and crisp. Not up to the standard of a match rifle I grant you but not so far off.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Question

What is the Omega's trigger like,how does it compare to the other manufacturers trigger's of its time and to todays trigger's???

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I have a Mk3 Supertarget Ian and the trigger is suprisingly good. Light, smooth and crisp. Not up to the standard of a match rifle I grant you but not so far off.
    So have I. Isn't the Supertarget supposed to be a match rival though? Comparing it with its main (recoiling) German rivals of the time - no comparison re trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
    What is the Omega's trigger like, how does it compare to the other manufacturers trigger's of its time and to todays trigger's???

I.M.O. the Omega trigger (in its standard form) is better than the BSA equivalent of the time, almost as good as some of the German stuff (Sport, 335 etc.) but not a candle towards a Rekord unit.
    Some work on the sears can bring an improvement but couldn't that be said of most manufacturers.
    HTH
    Ian

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    I give you that Mk3 was well built ('in its day') but THAT trigger and the loading tap is prone to wear The (after thought) scope rail (spot welded) often parts from the cylinder and the rear sight has no built in windage. But apart from that ...
    Mostly valid points but I'd have to argue about the trigger. My MKIII's trigger is actually as good as or better than many springer triggers outside of the Rekord and CD units. It certainly knocks lumps out of the more recent Webley Xocet that I have.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

So have I. Isn't the Supertarget supposed to be a match rival though? Comparing it with its main (recoiling) German rivals of the time - no comparison re trigger. Ian
    Yes, the operative words being 'supposed to be'.

I agree the trigger wasn't up to that of its contemporary German rivals but it wasn't far off and, considering the Mk3 was designed as a sporting gun, was surprisingly good for paper punching.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Yes, the operative words being 'supposed to be'.

I agree the trigger wasn't up to that of its contemporary German rivals but it wasn't far off and, considering the Mk3 was designed as a sporting gun, was surprisingly good for paper punching.

The Mk3 was the sporting gun and the Mk 3 Supertarget the paper punching match equivalent.
    The 335 was a sporting gun and the 335S the target equivalent. I know which I would rather choose between the Supertarget and the 335S.

ATB
    Ian

I stand by my words - the Omega is the best air rifle EVER produced by Webley I.M.O. Now, if they could have just got that trigger a bit better .....

Bunker for 2 please.

ATB
    Ian
    tomahawk is better

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    tomahawk is better
    HW35 is better!

(Sorry couldn't resist it. Now back to Webley.)

ATB
    Ian

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Thumbs up

HW35 is better!

(Sorry couldn't resist it. Now back to Webley.)

ATB
    Ian
    But still not as good as the Longbow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
    But still not as good as the Longbow!!!
    Now the Longbow

ATB
    Ian