Thread: My first old gun

Talking My first old gun

A few pic of the bisley air rifle
    http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3...irriflegk2.jpg
    http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4...rrifle1ut2.jpg
    not sure of date any help please.
    t@ff

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Very nice - I can't help with any details though - maybe Lakey knows this model?
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Hi Taff,
    What calibre is it,It dosn't look like a profesional stamp,cant tell properly but it dosn't look like its on the top either..Lovely gun ,just as a matter of interest,have you restored stock ?
    TIM
    Last edited by tjg; 17-04-2007 at 08:11 AM.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

Hi All,

This looks like a re-branded German Original (Model 5 I think?). Rebranding was rife in the first couple of decades of the last Century. German guns were imported cheaply and re-branded with English marks etc,
    If you look in Hillier under Original you should find this model. The lever through the cocking link is the breech catch.

I am answering this from work so do not have access to the book.

ATB

Lakey

I agree that it's most likely to be a re-branded European model. I've just looked in Hiller, and the nearest I can see there is a Diana 27 - I have a couple of these though, and it's not the same as yours. I'd guess yours was made somewhere between 1925 and 1940, which would make it a Diana. If it's a post-war model, then it'll be an Original.

Your right again lakey,just looked in book,p 164 ,it actually mentions "THE BISLEY AIR RIFLE"
    TIM
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

Thanks for that Tim

I have had a couple of these over the years and they are well made guns, however the barrel latch through the cocking link is a major weakness in the design. The cocking lever either bends over time or breaks altogether. I have seen a few when this cocking link has been welded to repair it.

The stocks were always very well made with hand cut checkering and a steel butt plate. I guess from the twenties or early thirties.

Nice gun.

Lakey

Oops - I forgot that Militia made an 'Original' too; it's especially forgetful of me as I have several of them...

From the picture, looks to be the same rifle as made by Friedrich Langenhan in Zell (FLZ) under the "Original V" model name - I have one here that is a dead ringer. FLZ made at least some of the rifles sold under the "Millita" (sic) trade name in England, imported by Martin Pulverman IIRC in the early part of the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    From the picture, looks to be the same rifle as made by Friedrich Langenhan in Zell (FLZ) under the "Original V" model name - I have one here that is a dead ringer. FLZ made at least some of the rifles sold under the "Millita" (sic) trade name in England, imported by Martin Pulverman IIRC in the early part of the 20th century.
    Thanks lads for the info, I have had the cocking link sorted out now as it was a bit bent, but apart from that I have done no other work to it. It’s in 177 cal and shots well, I shoot down at Bisley Field Target Club and we have a vintage bell target club, an off shot of the main club and we met on a Wednesday night, it’s back to basics and its fantastic fun, so if you have got any old boys you wish to have a bit of fun with and your in the area on a Wednesday night pop in and have some good old fashion fun.
    Thanks t@ff