Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black powder section?

Yep, absolutely. Muzzle-loaders, not just BP.

Sorry - put BP meaning ML, if you see what I mean.
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

Hi Eagleman

As much as I fancy an 1851 Navy Revolver I need plenty of reassurance about Blackpowder!
    I bought an Uberti Navy .36 in Jan this year after shooting a few BR revolvers at my range. The Navy is a beautiful looking gun (with octagonal barrel) and the mechanics are sound. (at least I haven’t had any probs). Getting the BP licence from the Explosives Officer and the carry licence from H&S was a fag at the beginning but all well worth it in the end.

The arguments for and against BP are well argued but I knew what I was getting into. (do lots of research first – the American website are great for this) One of the reasons I chose BP was I just wanted to use the Navy as it was intended i.e. .36 cal and BP.

BP is indeed messy, dirty, smelly and the gun needs scrupulous cleaning after each shooting session but that’s all part of it to me.

In terms of the accuracy arguments between BP and its substitutes - don’t go there as you won’t win your argument!! – it’s more important to get the load, lube and weight of the ball right what ever propellant you choose. My Navy doesn’t shoot POA but most don’t. There is an argument to say that Colt BP revolvers were designed to aim at the groin or belt buckle in order to hit the heart. – not sure how true this is. I have to aim below the black and off to 5 o’clock at 25m to hit the target (which quite often looks like a pepper pot). But I didn’t buy it for accuracy: I bought it to have fun – which is what I have time and time again. I have an order in for a .44 Remmie with target sights which I will use in competitions.

Not sure if this helps but I love my Navy and BP. (but don’t shoot it with a strong wind blowing in yer face or you’ll be smelling like you’ve just smoked a thousand cigs)
    John
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

it’s more important to get the load, lube and weight of the ball right what ever propellant you choose.

Just about sums up the "black art" of muzzle loading.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    nasty smelly horrible things , on the firing line just about to complete that one hole group ..... and you get enveloped by a cloud of choking smoke from 6 points down ( why is it the muzzle loading fanatic always gets the downwind firing point .....)
    To blow the smoke away from our firing point. Then you can marvel at the one hole groups we are shooting with our B.P. Rifles.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by John Bedford View Post
    Mods - another vote for an (albeit small) section for muzzle loaders.....please.

As for 'real' BP, why use it with the licensing/storage regulations, fouling and corrosion (if you don't clean promptly) when you can avoid all this by using a modern substitute?
    Because most of the modern substitutes are more corrosive than Black Powder, and make an even bigger mess of your cases and barrel.
    Robin

On guest days at Leicester Shooting Centre the black powder handguns are without doubt the most popular. We use a mixed bag of guns from Colt replica's to Rugers and both Pyrodex and Swiss BP. Casting our own balls also enables us to get the best composition of lead.
    The only drawback is that it is left to the RO's to clean up afterwards
    Bob
    "Nihil est Impossibilis"
    motto of The Glider Pilot Regiment 1942 - 1957