Thread: Volumetric measurment

Volumetric measurment

Muzzle loadeds are charged with powder using a volumetric measure and not by weight. This is done with a flask with a known volume spout or by using a calibrated tool.
    The reason being BP does not all weigh the same and substitutes can be quite a bit different, Pyrodex weighs 20% less than BP by volume.

Today it is quite common to precharge vials/phials at home to take to the range. We can get more accurate measures and so more consistant shooting. The volumetric measures are just not accurate enough for the serious target shooter who demands uniformity to within a single particle.

Heres a handy set of charts that will allow conversion between vol and weight

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm

Print it out coz it might not be there for long.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

That's very useful - thanks for the link.

J.

This bit interested me

http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.2.html

down the page a bit, cutting slices of draughtproofing cord to make thick wads. Its hard to find thick felt wads so this might be a usefull alternative.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    This bit interested me

http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.2.html

down the page a bit, cutting slices of draughtproofing cord to make thick wads. Its hard to find thick felt wads so this might be a usefull alternative.
    What calibre and what length are you after. Kranks do .44/45 wads that are over 1/2 an inch long
    Robin

At £9.95 for 200 not too bad but I'd rather try to get some felt sheet to cut my own.

Anyone know a UK source for 1/2" felt sheet. Obviously wool and not synthetic. I guess thats another tip. A lot of felt is synthetic, a type of plastic that melts and can stick to the barrel, only use natural or wool.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    At £9.95 for 200 not too bad but I'd rather try to get some felt sheet to cut my own.

Anyone know a UK source for 1/2" felt sheet. Obviously wool and not synthetic. I guess thats another tip. A lot of felt is synthetic, a type of plastic that melts and can stick to the barrel, only use natural or wool.
    Being a Yorkshire man, I cut them in half. That way I get 400 for £9.95.
    Robin

I would want them that thick. I tend to calculate cost per shot.

The wads work out at 5p each, with ball at 8p and cap at 4p and powder at 4p that works out at 23p a bang or £23 a hundred. My 357 reloads are £5 a 100.

I cast my own slugs and at the mo dont use a wad which takes me down to 8p a band, at that cost it is more fun.