Thread: how much for a Hy-score sporter???

how much for a Hy-score sporter???

how much for a Hy-score sporter???
    Can anyone help please me, i'm trying to price a so called mint condition Hy-score sporter, in the box,
    This is the message i was sent:
    While recently clearing out my deceased father-in-laws house i came across a air pistol, it is called New HY-SCORE Sporter With interchangeable Barrels, it is complete with the original box and on the side of the box it has a ticket with the marks PH/6A MK-2 .
    Can you give me some idea of value.
    I think £150 would be fair, (I JUST DONT KNOW)
    he tells me also:
    I see from at the Internet that these pistols that were only made in Kent England for only a couple of years in the 80s are becoming rare and collectible.

I HOPE YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME OUT ON THIS ONE

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.
    Sir Winston Churchill
    Last edited by mrjasonryan; 01-06-2007 at 08:04 AM.

I think £150 would be fair, (I JUST DONT KNOW)
    he tells me also:
    I see from at the Internet that these pistols that were only made in Kent England for only a couple of years in the 80s are becoming rare and collectible.
    A similar sounding one went on here for that price recently if that helps.

IIRC the UK production run was short, but the US ones were made for decades.

That is about right for a mint one, boxed, with the accessories. These are great pistols though, well made, powerful and pretty accurate. I got one, in .22 cal. but really wanted a .177 barrel to complement it. Amazingly, the Webley Nemesis barrel is exactly the right length! A good friend of mine, a wizard with a lathe, modified a spare Nemesis barrel I had to fit the Hy-Score and it works perfectly, so now I have both calibres for that pistol.

I later found out that Dr. beeman in America has some spares for these pistols, including the amazing six-shot magazine that goes on the breech end in place of the standard breech. When I bought my spares from him, he had various barrels, he has .177 smoothbore BB barrels, and .177 and .22 rifled barrels too, as well as springs.

The only thing I don't like about these pistols is that naff bit of scrollwork stamped into the frame, apart from that these pistols are amazing. The build quality can't be faulted, and the design is superb. I have a couple of PDFs of documents that the designer wrote regarding the process he employed when designing the Hy-Score, they are very interesting if you are into learning about the way that airguns work. If anyone's interested drop me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail them to you. I also have copies of the patents that the designer lodged in America prior to manufacturing the pistol.

It's interesting to read in the documents how the designer bought a few European air pistols, including a Webley (and an Abas Major, but that's not mentioned in the notes for some reason) for research purposes. He wanted a full-power spring pistol that was easier to cock and had a better trigger than the european air pistols, he also felt that American pneumatic pistols (Benjamin Etc.) were too much effort to pump up, so came up with the Hy-Score.

I'm looking to buy an American Hy-Score Sportster (not Sporter) pistol. On these the cylinder of the pistol is shorter, and the knurled barrels are screwed in from the muzzle end by hand.

I had the same Kent manufactured pistol, 2 barrels, changing tool, silencer, boxed and near mint, sold for £95 2 or 3 years ago.

A nice interesting little pistol and pretty accurate too.

IIRC I paid £30 odd for a fair few years ago from my long gone local gunshop, so it will appreciate as time goes on, but as with all things, at the end of the day, it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

HTH

Ben

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    One here in what looks like VGC with both barrels and original change tool, that has now finally sold after a few days for £75 plus P&P. This would suggest that this is the price range they go for then, and therefore, the price to ask and/or pay (hope this helps ). GWB.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I bought that one!

It is in VGC, and by the way Tony is a top chap to deal with. I am well pleased.

However, it is not boxed, and as Tony indicated on the thread the grip is slightly modified (albeit its very, very well done). I buy them to shoot as well as to look at, and so this doesn't bother me at all, but a collector who wanted mint in box would not have bought it.

As ever you pays your money you makes your choice I guess.

hi Jerry, bojourno garath, and all who haved helped. it was me who bought the Hy-score, fromhttp://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190884&highlight=hy-score from tanglewood (excellent bloke to deal with i might add)
    love it to bits mint condition i can tell you. I NEED MORE. I want the whole collection for my collection, sounds gay. any how i want yours now, how do you want paying ,

I wish I'd seen that Hy-Score for £75, that was a bargain that was! I'd have bought it like a shot if I'd seen it!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjasonryan View Post
    hi Jerry, bojourno Gareth, and all who haved helped. it was me who bought the Hy-score, from tanglewood (excellent bloke

to deal with i might add) love it to bits mint condition i can tell you. I NEED MORE. I want the whole collection for my collection, sounds gay. any how i want yours now, how do you want paying,
    Hi Jason, hope you don't mind but as you'd copied the link incorrectly in your post as above (resulting in it being a bit of a confusing read ), I have taken the liberty of editing it in the quote above to aid translation . Ha ha ha. ATB M8 & am really looking forward to recieving my brace of Seniors (let me know when they are posted please): Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I paid £150 for a cased (1980 plastic case British HyScore) with extra barrel, silencer and the tools in good nick (not mint but close) and now think it was a bargain - these HyScores are much rarer than the USA 1947 style model 800 (which I have a boxed one of) so will go up in value at a greater rate.

Compare the prices in The Blue Book (yeah they are American but still reflect relative values).

I too would like to get a Sportster (shorter barrel).
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

1947 Hyscore

The Model 700. 2,500 were made.