Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leupold competition 40 x 45

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    i think scopes get blamed for shift more often than they deserve and that the guns shift more than people think...a consistant chrono string doesnt mean the gun isnt warping. Totally agree about the light/dark/colour shift. The trick is to try and find something more consistant than the plate...not always easy.

nice to see that the custom shop can change the rets as well.
    I agree Rob......a slight change to a rifle and a slight change to scope can really add up when they're put together.

I think that the Comp does vary slightly with light/dark conditions but i have to say that i never noticed that...only the POI change due to temp. It looks as if it's the same old thing again.....some are affected more than others
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

I've had a 35x Comp for a few years now & I've never had any POI shift in temperature, the parallax focus does change slghtly in temperature extremes but it is very predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Sorry .....you never know, you might be lucky.

It seems that some are worse than others but all the lads i know that have a Comp do have POI problems.
    Not all

My 35x is spot on and hardly moves in any temps. I have never had a POI shift but I am sure temp does affect ranging slightly. The gaps are so big that the movement is a yard at most.

The only downside is the fixed mag.

Dave.

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    I have to agree with the previous comments on this one - I have never experienced POI with any of the ones I have had, and the once I thought I might have had a problem, it turned out to be the rifle in the end - POI is generally the fault of the rifle, not the scope - I think this is most pertinent in this case

LeeH
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

colingeaton Guest
    I borrowed a x40 mag for a couple of months and found it faultless except for one shoot on an open field where the sun baked myself and the kit to a crisp. That was the only time I ever noticed a major rangefinding variation. POI was unchanged, just that I was ranging 55yds at 60yds etc.

Colin, just as an aside on the particular day you mention was it also glaringly bright light conditions as well?

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Great scope but the POI shift due to temp change was horrendous

I friend at the club also bought one back from the states and has the same problem.
    Since I opted for transition lenses in my specs POI shift has become negligible Chris. I think that parallaxing errors may be down to the pupils dilating and contracting thus altering the perceived depth of field and thus the range shown on the side wheel. I test my 55 yard setting at the start of each shoot and have had absolutely no trouble with POI shift or parallax shift. The Competition series scopes are the least affected by temperature that I have used apart from the Burris 8-32x44 R/A.