Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone shoot 10m air rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by TROUSER TRUMPET View Post
    You let someone who knows what he's doing take it apart, twiddle this, polish that, fit a single silicon steel spring etc etc. Could possibly get a bit more, but it would probably not make it as nice to shoot. Honestly, I've felt pcp's with more recoil than this gun. Which is nice.
    HI, Yes I do actually Know how this power level is approached & know the history dating back to the 1970s of why extra power was originaly sought from these fine 10m rifles! the man that started this was the late Dennis Cummins, of NARPA fame who advocated the use of the fwb 150 single piece spring for bell target shooting, the idea being the slight increase in power would give the shooter a better chance of ringing the bell with a split shot! it all went on from there!
    I believe i still have some of the last silicon one piece springs lurking in the workshop.

Dave
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

10m target

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "silicon spring"? Are we talking about a silicon coating? Would this increase power?
    I have read about some Maccari single springs being used to replace the twin springs in the FWB 300S. The compression chamber is quite small on the 300S so I assume he uses thicker wire?

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "silicon spring"? Are we talking about a silicon coating? Would this increase power?
    I have read about some Maccari single springs being used to replace the twin springs in the FWB 300S. The compression chamber is quite small on the 300S so I assume he uses thicker wire?

Mike95
    Hi, Swedish silicon crhome, as they were none as, always used to be regarded as THE best spring steel for making airgun mainsprings,they are renowned for keeping their shape & power even when the gun is left cocked for long periods of time, like WEEKS if you believe the tests carried out on them! not all airgun springs are made from this material though!
    Dave

Silicon spring

AHHH. Tr Robb advertises this type of spring, known as "the beast"!!

Our American cousins are using a Merlin spring from Maccari to boost their FWB 150/300 rifles and they do use them in FT. The Merlin is apparently square section which allows you to get more spring into the same space.
    My FWB 300S Junior is doing 626 +or- 5fps with Hobby pellets so I will leave it alone.

Mike95

Interesting thread.Dave, wonky donkey, put me onto it. i have just bought a 300s, not intending doing any 10m but informal target shooting etc. I have fitted a Leupold compact. Interested how you fit a longer scope like the S&B trouser trumpet? Have you aded an extension rail on the scope grooves to give you more height to get your fingers into the loading port? The compression tubes pretty small. just ordered one of maccari's springs as well.

The running boar version had longer mounts machined into them if I remember right!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    The running boar version had longer mounts machined into them if I remember right!
    Dave
    No, not another gun i want!!

My S&B is the German army version, complete with one piece mounts. But as said previously, the running boar was specifically made to use a scope. It never had diopters originally.

cheers trouser trumpet, another gun on my 'like to own ' list