Thread: BSA Improved model D ...Junior?

Scribbler Guest

BSA Improved model D ...Junior?

Hello, everyone!
    I came on to the forum because I wanted to know something about the air rifle we have, which was bought new for a member of our family and which has surfaced as we set out to move house.

It has been excellent to learn a fair amount quite quickly from members’ exchanges ( and I thought collectors of other items were precise!! ). Still, one would expect arms companies to have kept good production records, I suppose.

The gun is a BSA Improved Model D and would seem to be the Junior, as it is c. 34ins long. Though short, it is massively made. Love the trigger-adjustment !!
    Serial number 42411, Lincoln Series Patent 8761/04 on the lever and a round grip rather than a pistol grip. Were the serial numbers for the different variants all mixed, or did each variant (Light, Junior etc have a discreet batch of numbers? In other words, I wondered if 42411 denoted that at least that number of this particular rifle were made?)

It hasn’t been used in c. 40 years and lives in a canvas rifle bag. I’d be grateful for some feel of what this one should be valued at.
    It’s in pretty good condition and although I’m tempted to interfere with it, to fit new washer etc and oil it lovingly, it should probably rather be with someone knowledgeable who will refurbish it and fit it into a collection.

Grateful for info/views. Photo available - but I haven't sorted out how to stick it on here yet!

Flannelmeister is offline If I'm not on here I'm in the shed
    There is a good guide to putting up pictures or links to them here:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182584
    .177 HW97K
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Hi Scribbler,
    The serial No's show date of manufacture,not model type,your gun was manufactured May/july 1911,some juniors were despatched in this batch,when you say round grip,I pressume you mean a straight hand stock,as for the value,this would depend on condition,photo's would be good,and it would come as no supprise that i would be interested in it,haha
    TIM
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

bsa

you have a pm

Scribbler Guest

BSA improved model D ..Junior PHOTO

Thank you for your info and interest, folks. I have just been to a pic-hosting site (thanks, Flannelmeister) and placed a pic. ..which I'll go and test any moment now.
    D.jpg"]http://suprfile.com/src/1/8jm28hi/BSA Model D.jpg [/URL]
    If anyone wants more or would like to contact, use bearofv3rylittlebrain@hotmail.com.

Great to learn someinfo, like the ser. no.s being purely by date and not per variant.
    I'd be interested in what the rifle should be valued at, too.

Hi scribbler,
    Were abouts are you ??
    TIM
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

Scribbler Guest

BSA - Where am I?

Deepest Suffolk.
    I did some more photos - just mail for them.

Not having spent any time with the rifle before, I have caught myself looking at it with different eyes over the hours. Interesting things emerge, such as the comparative dullness of the finish just where sweaty fingers might have gripped the barrel to operate the lever. Doubtless you guys went through this eons ago, getting interested in the detail, not just of the manufacture but of the use. As a one-time metallurgist I'm going to end up really involved if I'm not careful.

bsa

you have a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
    Deepest Suffolk.
    I did some more photos - just mail for them.

Not having spent any time with the rifle before, I have caught myself looking at it with different eyes over the hours. Interesting things emerge, such as the comparative dullness of the finish just where sweaty fingers might have gripped the barrel to operate the lever. Doubtless you guys went through this eons ago, getting interested in the detail, not just of the manufacture but of the use. As a one-time metallurgist I'm going to end up really involved if I'm not careful.
    Then unless you are strapped for a bit of cash,keep the bloody thing,you obviously like it,they come apart easily and parts are obtainable,it just might be to small to be comfortable,why not see if somebody wants to swap you for something similar but larger,this is taking for granted you shoot.....if not,then start....and fill in your profile !!!,would be interested to see the photo's...
    All the best
    TIM
    Last edited by tjg; 31-07-2007 at 07:54 AM.

Its a slip..

Slippery slope - you'll end up with dozens , spend far too much time at Fairs auctions and car booty's . You'll spend all your money , loose all your friends ...... You'll end up on the streets in no time - sell it here before its too late !
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Scribbler Guest

Turn-up for the books...

I just happened to be putting the rifle in question away when Senior Management commented that the bag she'd got for it in the mid '80s was just a bit long, wasn't it?
    Hang on... I recalled the gun being passed to us for our son but, being busy earning a crust, had not remembered suggesting it went to a gunsmith for an MOT. No wonder the bag is so young.

As I had now pulled the rifle back out of the bag, I said that it had been puzzling me that the grease etc seemed considerably fresher than I might have expected...
    "Oh yes, when you told me it had to be right for Angus to use, I took it to somewhere like Uckfield and had the spring thing and everything replaced or serviced. I thought you knew that." (ie 'You're losing it, Brainiac!" !)

What would we do without them.

Anyway. Thanks again for the comments and info given here and in pms. I now appreciate the design and history much more but you're wrong, JYoung, I'm going to resist infatuation and, once I've got a fair grasp of the value... off it goes to where someone knows.... anything.

Hi Scribbler,
    Youre Right,what would we do without them !!!haha
    A GRASP OF VALUE,there's a task you're setting yourself....A man could cogitate(good word that)over that for a long time,and why not haha,you know my advice,take your time,and enjoy your junior..
    TIM(pondering value/time)
    Last edited by tjg; 02-08-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling