Thread: bp revolver and triple 7

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Neil, as has already been said ther's no need for a re-proof to use any of the BP substitutes (Triple 7, Pyrodex) and with Triple 7 cut back on the load (in comparison to BP).

I use 15 grains by weight of Triple 7 fffg in my .44 to good effect.

I do everything by weight 'cause I can't get my head around volume measurements and I'm used to weight for my centrefire reloading.

Hodgdons say reduce load by 15% by volume for equiv to BP.

Its a bit unscientific as a comparison, 777 burns faster and breech pressures are slightly higher but still well within spec for use in BP firearms.

I am using 12gr by vol (17gr by wt) in my 44 with a 200gr conical but I have had better in the past with higher load so still have some work to do. Going to increase a bit and hope for a flatter trajectory. The lighter load worked well with a lighter round ball but I was wary of the increased pressure with a heavier bullet.

I think its important that anyone considering trying m/l does not see it as some sort of black art, its not its easy and fun. It is no more technical than reloading cartridges. Just a case of finding the right powder and bullet combination to suit your shooting and your own gun.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane