Thread: .303 Lee-Enfield?

8mm Mauser Guest

.303 Lee-Enfield?

Just an idle thought... If the .303 Lee-Enfield was originally a black powder round, can you load a .303 cartridge with smokeless substitute? I can find nothing on the entire internet that mentions load data for this...

Don't worry, I've no intention of ever trying it .

Quote Originally Posted by GuyRWood View Post
    Just an idle thought... If the .303 Lee-Enfield was originally a black powder round, can you load a .303 cartridge with smokeless substitute? I can find nothing on the entire internet that mentions load data for this...

Don't worry, I've no intention of ever trying it .
    sure i have seen data for this in one of my books.....will suss it out

Seen lots of data about the web on using pyrodex in the more common cartridges.
    Pyro and BP can be messy especially when mixed with lube, so repetitve shots gums you up more and more.
    I have had a few contacts with Hodgdons about 777 in cartridges. They have not published "official" data yet on all cartridges though there are some experimenters filling in the gaps. The beauty of 777 is that you can lube with Alox so gumming is nowhere near as bad and repetitive shooting without cleaning is possible.

I load 38spl and .357mag with 777, the data says fill to the bottom of the bullet so as not to leave an airgap. Its a much lighter bang so breech pressures should be within safty margins of a modern nitro proofed barrel. But dont take that as gospel, do some proper research before you try it.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

found on net.....215 grain bullet with 70gn of highly comprised black powder gives 1850 fps...apparently this is the original load but as always please check yourself prior to using

Try searching the web for lee-metford loadings.You might have more luck.Lee is the action metford or enfield the rifling.

The lee metford was the original black powder firing .303.
    When they went over to modern smoke less powder they found the metford rifling was to soft and wore quickly hence why they changed to enfield rifling it was harder.

Hope this helps.
    Current guns owned
    Walther LGU Varmint .22 with Nikko Stirling 2-7x32 AO ILL

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
    When they went over to modern smoke less powder they found the metford rifling was to soft and wore quickly...
    Yes, but the Metford rifling was designed to cope with the extensive fouling from the black powder.

It could be hard for a BP reloader to achieve a similar-performing loading to the original. The compressed BP was formed to a hollow cylinder with a flashhole up the middle, presumably to make sure the stuff all burnt before the bullet got away out the muzzle. With the greater energy density of 777, it might be more easily achievable.

IMO, Pyrodex is too vile a chemical assault to subject any valued antique rifle to. It's horrible and is a work of the Devil Women will not come within yards of you for days. And your barrel will rust off.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post

IMO, Pyrodex is too vile a chemical assault to subject any valued antique rifle to. It's horrible and is a work of the Devil Women will not come within yards of you for days. And your barrel will rust off.

Regards,
    MikB
    Too true! Known amongst some locally as "Adolfs Revenge"