Thread: Some advice for FT

Jase C Guest

Some advice for FT

Hi guy's.
    I'm going to have a go at field target shooting soon at my local club.
    I have been doing quite alot of reading on here and picking up as many tips as possible.
    I havent got round to getting myself a gun yet as i'm waiting on some money coming through (alot ) so cash really wont be a problem.

I have owned both springers and PCP's before and found the PCP's a bit of a pain with all the extra equipment they require, so anyway, what i would like to know is what is a decent list of guns to choose from would be, i'm a competitive son of a biatch and want to stand a chance of winning btw..so far i quite like the look of the AA pro target. thanks in advance for any ideas.
    be cool
    Jase
    Oh and whats the H in HFT mean ? duh...

I'd be thinking about your scope too, as this is what really make or breaks and FT rig, you'll not go far wrong with one of the new green turreted big Nikko's (10-50x60). Add a larger sidewheel, and almost any modern PCP will do you proud.

If you're buying new you want to be looking at something like the S400, in standard form the stock might need some work (deeper forend, raised cheekpiece etc). There's the MPR FT version too, which is more suited to FT out of the box, but these are a bit unproven at the moment, good ones and bad ones going around.

If you're looking 2nd hand, the PT is a very good buy, don't consider anything without the MK3 reg unless the price reflects it, they come in various forms and there are very few standard ones around these days.

Nice example Here and a good bloke to deal with.

If you want to go down the springer route, prepair to miss more targets Its very hard to learn much from missing a target with a springer, as its quite rare you see the pellet land due to the recoil, so its hard to figure if you're giving enough windage or getting ranges right. My choice would be an older HW77/97 or a MK1-2 TX200, the new guns are not quite as sweet, plus buying a 2nd hand springer will mean you dont have to go through the running in period.

The best thing to do is get yourself to as many FT shoots as you can, and try out plenty of kit before commiting yourself to buying something.

HFT is another target sport (the H stands for hunter), the same targets are used, but the max range is 45 yards. No range finding or scope twiddling is allowed, so its more guestimation. The main shooting position is prone, rather than the FT sitting position. A lot of the skills are transferable between the two sports, and its possible to create a rig that will shoot both well, albeit with compromises.

Hope this helps a little, don't hessitate to ask any further questions.

Martin.

Jase C Guest
    Thanks Martin !
    Well i was going to have a go at FT but it doesnt seem my local club does it i presumed they did (from the web site Rivington riflemen) it just appears they do HFT.
    I want to get into the competitive side of FT, serious competition ! grading and the like....
    What club does that round my way without having to travel miles and miles ? surely there must be somewhere ?
    cheers

Jase C Guest
    Jesus........looks like if i want to do FT i'm going to have to travel at least 25-30 mile just to get there ! There isnt one single FT club within a reasonable travelling distance........I'll start my own bloody club lol..

Hi Jase,

Don't fret about the travelling, my club is 33 miles from where I live.

Anyway best advice is to go along to the club and speak to people and try out various rifle before you spend any money. Mistakes can be easy to make and expensive to put right.

As stated above the rifle is half the story, it is just as important to get the right scope in FT, again go along and try before you buy.

There is a healthy second hand market place so getting a good FT rifle is not overly difficult. One thing, don't ignore a rifle just because it might be a few years old, there are some superb rifles fetchnig very little money because some people overlook them because they are not the latest item.

The Pro-Target you mention is an extremely good rifle.

As said previously, a longer trip to a good club is well worth it in advice alone...and once your hooked you'll think nothing of the travel (i did a 1000 miles to do the scottish GP and was rewarded with a qualification ).

The scope is probably the most important aspect to FT, assuming you have a .177 gun that shoots straight.

good advice given already

Up-front, yes I have the kit to sell but?
    You have been given the adice of a Big Nikko, I have one with the mod ally side-wheel and top turret done. Price, with mods on £320.
    I also have one of the classic FT rifles of all time for sale, Daystate CRX .177. there is even an owners club ans site for this (find that on another gun?).
    If interested let me know?
    Philgunner01 Steyr LG 110 Leup 20 x 50 HW 97