Thread: Long range airgun shooting

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Using rifles from 12 ft.lbs. to 60 ft.lbs., all of which would do one-holers at 50 yards, I shot off a sandbag rest in air that was as still as we could get it - i.e. not showing visible disturbance, and at 100 yards I produced 10-shot groups that ranged from pellet-on pellet to 6 inches in diameter. The trouble was, none of the really tight groups came from consecutive pellets! It was this inconsistency that frustrated me.

Had there been a selection of small targets down at the target end, say 12-bore cartridge cases placed end-on, then they would have been hit quite regularly, but not consistently and certainly not consecutively. Anyone watching would have concluded that it's possible to hit a one-inch target at 100 yards with an air rifle, but they'd also be forced to admit that it was far from an exact piece of shooting.
    hi terry, i liked what you said however there is a point im cross with. even if the rifle groups one inch all the time all day long, i still wouldnt say i can hit targets all day long at the distance. ive been posting videos online of long range shooting for a couple of months. some of my groups even at further distances are quite good but unless i dial correctly for the wind i wont get a hit, and if the wind happens to gust from 1/2way to 3/4 of the distance im shooting, the group opens up again. if one looks at the 1000 yard competitions, this is very true. you will have many rifles that group under a 1MOA at that distance, but because of wind and gusting winds groups still tend to open up widely at times. whole point is, you can do so much till it leaves the barrel, but once in mid air you can only watch to follow up with yor next shot.
    why don't you try it indoors if you just want to see the capability of the weapons, that way you eliminate the odds.
    Last edited by flims; 21-08-2007 at 06:51 AM.