Thread: Help!!!

Help!!!

Ok, this has been driving me nuts (and my friends) so I thought I would ask on here.
    I've been through the optical centering and adjustable mount routine (god that was bad enough) because I wanted an engineered solution to the problem of scope shimming, y'know..a grands worth of kit and having to use bits of film.....blah blah....

I know........I know. But I did it and have the gun and scope set up just 'so' as a result.....well nearly

I have the HW 100 and have long seen the benefit of a single scope rail to bridge the action and provide one 'island' from which to mount a scope, if this 'island' were milled with an appropriate angle to allow the scope to compensate for pellet drop at a particular range, all the better as the scope could be zeroed without using either of the turrets leaving it optically centred with all the advantages that brings.

BINGO!!! Someone actually makes such a thing for Steyr rifles, and its milled with 30 MOA compensation. It also fits the existing dovetail on the gun and is cut for weaver type rings on the top, so a very 'true' rail. I saw one at Springfield GP and I want one........

To the question then, that my meagre brain cant answer... 30 MOA.... I know what it is and its value at 100 yards, but where down range does that measure intercept a pellet trajectory? I cant, for some reason, get my head around this at all

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Barry

i think there's 2 versions, one with less drop

30 moa would be 120 clicks, so without any shim or angle, it would coincide with the pellet 120 clicks away...depends how your scope is set up...but if your scope is 120 clicks away from being on zero at 55 then thats where it will be with rail so to speak

obviously, if your using adjustable mounts to start with then your simulating the rail anyway.

You normaly fit 20 or 30 moa mounts or rib to allow you to shoot long distance CF 1000 1200 yds because most scopes dont have enough clicks to give you the elevation requiredcant see what good it will do for an air gun.
    I love my country, but fear my government

Quote Originally Posted by kindwarf View Post
    You normaly fit 20 or 30 moa mounts or rib to allow you to shoot long distance CF 1000 1200 yds because most scopes dont have enough clicks to give you the elevation requiredcant see what good it will do for an air gun.
    I haven't done the maths but you shooting at 1000yds...is on a par with an air rifle shooting at 55yds i would think (Trajectory wise!) .......Only harder!!
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!