Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MTC Mamba

MTC Mamba

I got three of these this week, 1-4x24, 1.5-6x42 and 3-12x44, I am very impressed!

Heres a mini review

The 1-4x24 is designed for firearm use where both eyes can be open at 1x and small dot illuminated in centre of fine target type x hairs, it would be very useable on an airgun for ratting right up to a hefty calibred CF rifle for Wild Boar, it has fast focus eyebell and ret control is a third turret, the elevation turret is ultra low and windage also low profile

The 1.5-6x42 I have fitted on to my .22 BSA Hornet centrefire (pics below) as it is a superb Foxing scope in my opinion, the optics are the excellent quality we have come to expect from MTC, this time it has a No 4 type ret which has three thick stadia with the vertical one at 12 o clock being a thin type, this gives fast target aquisition and in the centre is a small dot that illuminates with control turret where the side PA is on Viper, this works superbly and is the best I have seen for lamping or anywhere with poor light

The scope has usual (for MTC) 30mm tube, no PA as not needed but has fast focus eyebell, I am not kidding when I tell you my shooting mate (who is a diehard S&B man) was gobsmacked when he looked through this scope and is going to order two off MTC, never thought I would see him even think of a non S&B scope

The elevation turret is ultra low profile and the windage low profile, with caps removed it is very easy to adjust with nice positive clicks, I have only bore sighted it using a Lazer but moving the turrets to centralise the Lazer dot was very positive, really looking forward to tonights session (once I have zeroed it this afternoon) with this scope, it really is unbelievably good with a price at £124, it comes with usual flip ups, sunshade and new type of mounts which look similar to Sportsmatch

The third scope is the 3-12x44 Mamba which has side PA and low turrets, this has same superb ret as the 1.5-6 so excellent for either air rifles or firearms, the ret is fine enough for long range Crows as well as Fox, Rabbits etc. It has neat way of adjusting the brightness of ill' dot with a "pod" on top of eyebell with two little rubber buttons + & - , this pod is (I believe) removable if you should want to use NV, I havent tried removing it so I may be wrong but it looks like it comes off, again it has fast focus eyebell as well as side PA. Price: £184

Everyone that has seen these has been impressed, I dont know when the next batch will be with MTC but I can see a few people wanting one!

Dont be put off by the low prices these scopes would be a bargain at three times that price, I kid you not
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

cheers Baz , i see the yorkie tin is gone
    Last edited by aeron; 02-09-2007 at 08:32 AM.

Good review, Baz.

I might be in the market for a new scope fairly soon, so I'll definitely check one of these out.

Cheers.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

I had a look through these when I popped in the other day and agree that the optics were excellent and the reticule would be superb for Foxing.

Cheers!

Phil

I had a look through a Mamba last week and was very pleasantly surprised to see that the quality of the optics were up there with my then bushnell legend, which is optically excellent. The reticle is very clear too and very useful.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Kingplinker Guest
    Interesting review Baz , any ideas why the low profile turrets are being used or it it just for using other scope mounted products ?

atvb

Dave

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingplinker View Post
    Interesting review Baz , any ideas why the low profile turrets are being used or it it just for using other scope mounted products ?

atvb

Dave
    Low profile is less obtrusive therefore inherrently more robust. Target turrets and low turrets offer different advantages innit?

Kingplinker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Low profile is less obtrusive therefore inherrently more robust. Target turrets and low turrets offer different advantages innit?
    cheers ' Chav '

And you can get more rifles in a cabinet if fitted with low turrets
    Baz

Any news about availability?

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    are these anygood with an add on night sight,do u have any problems mounting a cage to the scope???as the focus ring protrudes the scope a little
    cheers paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulliver View Post
    are these anygood with an add on night sight,do u have any problems mounting a cage to the scope???as the focus ring protrudes the scope a little
    cheers paul
    I think thats why some models of the Mamba have removable IR unit

They are available now and in my opinion are one of the best hunting scopes bar none, for the scope brand snobs amongst the shooting world I reckon if I showed them a Mamba and told them they started at £800 and it was the type they wanted they would buy one immediately
    Baz

Quote Originally Posted by junior111111 View Post
    hi lads, the removable iluminator?? can it be changed to different colours??any chance of some pictures of thes bud??they sound good and i guess the lads wouldnt mind a peak at them..if you have a spare 5min..i aint seen them yet but if there up with s&b and there like a quarter of the price there apsolute bargains..ok bud good review pop some pictures up of all of them if you get 5bud
    Nothing is like a S&B, except a S&B

But, having looked through a Mamba, it is a superb scope. Not sure the point about the removable IR unit (why not leave it on, it is very unobtrusive anyway). To my eyes it is 90% of the quality of my Bushnell 4200 Elite (optics-wise).
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Quote Originally Posted by C3PO_1 View Post
    Nothing is like a S&B, except a S&B

But, having looked through a Mamba, it is a superb scope. Not sure the point about the removable IR unit (why not leave it on, it is very unobtrusive anyway). To my eyes it is 90% of the quality of my Bushnell 4200 Elite (optics-wise).
    S&B are the only scopes with their own league IMO something to do with crystals or something

As for 90% of the Elite 4200, you are nearly correct, I actually know its 100% though I had a chap round here a week or two ago who repairs scopes for some companies that shall remain nameless but take it from me they were very expensive but not European

He told me a few things about glass which went into techno mode, most went over my head but he rated the MTC glass as better than a make whos range starts just under a grand and exceeds it by several hundred

I was testing two rifles yesterday, one a brand new Tikka that shoots like a shotgun had a Leupold LR, the other a Howa fitted with a Mamba, to my eyes the Mamba snuffed the Leupold at 1-200yds I was shooting and the Howa slaughtered the Tikka in accuracy, not bad for the cheaper end of the market
    Baz

Quote Originally Posted by paulliver View Post
    cheers paul

Had a look through a bunch of these scopes yesterday at the MGF. Very nice optics. Target ret had me in 'raptures' ......

Have ordered some, and will test with NV ASAP.

I really hope they work with NV, lovely scopes.
    To be good, one must do good.