Thread: BSA Airsporter 1 of 1000

BSA Airsporter 1 of 1000

Originaly posted in the General / news section...

Hi Guys,

I have a friend who has a pristine example of a BSA MK7 Airsporter .177 which, according to the supplied paperwork, was made to commemorate the 100 years of BSA Piled Arms 1882 -1982.

Specific gun is number C0475 and is of a limited run of 1000. (According to the fancy signed certificate).

Also has a BSA badge in the package with all the original paperwork that look like they were printed yesterday....

Does anyone know anything about this rifle? - If in NRFB condition...is it worth anything?

Thanks

Coz
    Rapid MKII .177 FAC / Bushnell Legend 5-15 x 40 on Dr Bob rail
    24" LW Polygon Barrel + HW LDC
    Custom Alu. Chip Smith Stock with AR15 adj. buttsock + QF

Centenary Airsporter

When produced in 1982, cost £235 inc vat and came with accessories, scope, mounts, bag etc. No idea of current value.

Mike95

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    This is a BSA Centenary Airsporter produced with a semi-stutzen style stock. In mint boxed condition with all the original extras (scope, mounts, badge, gun sling and -- most importantly -- a certificate), I have seen these go for £400 ! These are collectable as it was on the back of this that BSA first started producing Stutzen model Airsporters. Paddy SP and Raygun on here have one of these and I am sure they will be able to tell you much more about them than me . Nice rifle though, and am sure if your friend wishes to sell it he will find a happy new owner for it on here . ATB: Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 06-09-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: to ad that this model influenced the release of the BSA Stutzen range of rifles.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

BSA Centenary

Hello ,

Mint ones will sell between £500 - £600 .
    Thats will all the box candy.

Hope that helps

Sam99

Nick (Sam99) is sort of right here, as I have certainly seen a couple of complete mint Centenary kits advertised over £500. But of these the only one that I know for sure which sold went for £400 plus secure post after several weeks. This was 18 months ago now though, and as air gun values have crept up since then due to the growing demand of collectors (like us ), maybe the bar has been raised to the £500 mark for a boxed Centenary ? I'd have to do a lot of thinking before I paid that for one however, as while you can still get a vgc Airsporter-S, a tap-loader Stutzen and/or an RB-2 Stutzen for less than half this, other than if you are a specific Airsporter collector (like good guys Raygun, serowman and Paddy SP), imho you'd have difficulty in justifying buying one when as stated, for the same sum you could get two equally collectable rifles of an equal quality, albeit not as rare. Atb: Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 06-09-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: after reading Ian's post (below) went back to ad imho.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    you'd have difficulty in justifying buying one when as stated, for the same sum you could get two equally collectable rifles of an equal quality, albeit not as rare. Atb: Gareth W-B.
    I don't know about that. Depends where you look and what floats your boat.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I don't know about that. Depends where you look and what floats your boat.
    Very true Ian as always, so I've just gone back and added "imho" before the word "you'd" . Knowing how I change with the wind when ever I have a little bit more in the penny pot than usual however, what's the betting that if a Centenary comes up around say £550 at a time when I am feeling flush that I try to buy it (I am a very week-willed man ). Ha ha! Cheers: Gareth.

Costas,

As you friend's BSA 'Centenary' is the much rarer .177 version, - 261 produced compared to 739 in .22 -, and is boxed with all original accessories as supplied when new, he should be able to get between £450 - £500 for it.
    I have seen them advertised for more, normally in .22 calibre, but they seem to stick for quite a while.
    Another BBS member bought one quite recently for less than £450 but that was not mint or boxed.

I have a 1 of 1000 Centenary Airsporter with all the bits, and in my opinion they are the best looking of all the Airsporter range.

Also they were the very first of the limited edition, commemorative BSA Air rifles.
    They seem to me more graceful than the shorter more abrupt Stutzen range and with the specially designed stock,they are a very special rifle.

Having said all that, they are not that rare, as most of the 1000 rifles were bought as 'sleepers'. So now they are regularly seen on the collectors circuit in very good to mint condition.

One of the problems which is surfacing is that the handles on the special BSA gun bag, which was issued with the Centenary model, seem to explode if kept in direct sunlight, as the plastic seems to degrade over time. Also,I believe if not kept well lubricated I think that in time, the bearing washer behind the piston head may turn soft and break up, meaning that a piston head replacement will probably become necessary.That will happen if you fire the gun or not.

Anyway long term storage problems aside, I think that the base rate for a 1 of 1000 is about 350 quid,and may go as high as 500 for a boxed minter with all the gear.Especially to a dyed in the wool BSA collector that is looking for one to complete their collection

That is my opinion

ATB

Lakey

Ref Troubledshooter's earlier post the BBS member paid £435 plus post (probably in a fit of madness ). I gave John Knibbs about £12 for the bits that were missing so that makes it near £450 in total. Its still not mint but pretty close and I traded a good .243 rifle for a fancy box to keep it all in. The box now has a B.S.A. bicycle badge stuck on the front - a bit sad but to me it looks right..

cool

Thanks for all the info guys......

The specific chap is about 68 years old....his daughter is a colleague and the thing is lying in the cupboard almost unused (shot about 20 pellets in the 27 odd years).

From what I can gather 5 units of .177 where brought to Cyprus through the local dealer.

The owner is not willing to sell, but rather his daughter is curious about its value both monetary and as an Air Rifle.

Coz.
    Rapid MKII .177 FAC / Bushnell Legend 5-15 x 40 on Dr Bob rail
    24" LW Polygon Barrel + HW LDC
    Custom Alu. Chip Smith Stock with AR15 adj. buttsock + QF

One of a Thousand

There was one of these for sale thru a dealer in GunMart this month boxed etc for £470. I suppose that's good value for a mint/unused example considering what £235 in 1983 would equal in todays values. (Er just know someone has worked this out). Anyway I looked at a Jim Johnson advert from that year. Here's just a taster.

FWB Sport £89.95
    HW35 Export and HW80 £79.95
    Meteor £34