Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTC 3-12X44 SCB Reticle

MTC 3-12X44 SCB Reticle

We have so many reviews of this superb scope, but one more won't do any harm .

We start this journey in May's of London, Buckhurst hill where I am as usual trying to find a decent topper for one of my rifles.

After much bad experience of other brands it was time to try something new, so £200 lighter I left with the MTC.

Opening the box we find not only a scope, but large sidewheel, sunshade, low mounts, flip up covers, and silk bag. It also includes the usual hex keys, and manual.

Clarity: Class-A in every sense!, very clear indeed with excellent light transmission even in lowlight.

Finish: This one is matte black. The finish is perfectly even, and quite tough, although it's surface could be a little smoother IMO.

Reticle: Really the jewel in the crown of these scopes are the famed SCB reticle, it has innumerable aim points, and is perfect for a .22 were the amount of holdover really does make, or break accuracy.

Field of view: Really quite large, even on higher magnification it still shows well, and aids target acquisition wonderfully. Of course it isn't to the same level as my Leupold VX-L, but I'm very happy with it in comparison.

Turrets: Large sniper style which simply pop up, or down to unlock/lock into position. Easy to use, and very smooth. Make sure you remember to lock them in place properly however as they do catch, and bump things easily due to height.

Magnification ring, & parallax sidewheel: The mag ring is slightly stiff, but nothing awful. Plenty of options in terms of what magnification you wish it set to. Parallax adjustment is located on the left side on the centre of the tube, smooth, an easy to read correctly.

Objective eye bell: Good scope for adjustment to your eyes, more than I usually find on most scopes, again slick, and easy to move.

Parallax: Comes down to 10 yards easily while still having decent magnification available, it seem very accurate too which is a pleasant change from Hawke's dreadfully miscalculated settings.

Used on a Weihrauch HW100S .177.

I think that covers everything!, I'm afraid I'm not much of an expert on the optical side of things, but this gives the general idea hopefully .

The best scope for the money, and beyond, 9.8/10

Pictures up soon with any luck!.
    Last edited by Wally Ferris; 27-10-2007 at 03:46 AM.

Yup - they are indeed great scopes. Beautiful optics.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Andy P 853 Guest
    Just picked one up today foe my AA S400 wont be able to shoot it for a couple of week!!

How are they at dawn and dusk in comparison to say a Bushnell 3200?

Picked one up myself yesterday.can't wait to get it onto the rifle,when i get chance.The optics are realy good,hope it's going to improve my scores in the UKAHFT,much clearer than my old scopes.
    There's no shot hard to make,but a lot of them are just easy to miss"

I'm gonna pick up a 10x44 Viper before Shepreth for my .22 HW100 I'm really looking forward to taking it on the range for a sight in

I love the abundance of features & they really look the dogs b*llocks too! Which is nice

I dare say though that we won't be alone in our choice of glass now word is out how good they are

10x44

I bought one of these for my new Tx (.177), superb scope ,but overkill i now think.
    From 10-45 yards you only use +0.5 to -1.5 mill dots,i was just as accurate with an old 30/30 simmons.
    Still i could allways pop it on my 0.22 s410k......or buy another.

Wayne
    If you know how many guns you’ve got, you haven’t got enough.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_J View Post
    I love my 10x44. It really is useful and I am getting used to it nicely now.
    I got mine today & it is beautiful. I could only get the Mil-Dot model but that's fine, I get on well with true Mil-Dot scopes anyway. The mounts included are really sh*t but Daystateman (nice bloke) just dropped some new Hawke match mounts round so all is well. I hope the weather clears up before Shepreth, I'm itching to give it its baptism of fire on my HW100!

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    I've got 2 MTC Mambas now, the 3-12x44 with SCB ret and the 4-16x50 with 4a ret.

They are both superb scopes, brilliant optics, brilliant reticles (both types) and you get everything you need to set the scope up on the gun. The customer service from MTC is excellent too.

When you consider how much (or how little) these scopes cost it makes them even better, IMHO. Granted there are some minor niggles (tight zoom ring and slightly too fine/sensitive PA adjustment for me) but these really are very minor in the grand scheme of things.

Unless I was in the market for something like a Nightforce or SB (unlikely until the lottery numbers come up) I really don't think I'd buy anything else.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Hi all and Thanks for the reviews.
    I'm trying to find out about the reticule adjustment range: elevation + windage totals on this model and on the 10x44.
    Could anyone help me out, Gary maybe ?

Thanks,

Hendrick

Gary C Guest
    just checked

about 620 clicks x1/8 moa per click

Say 75 moa

Is this for each ELEVATION and WINDAGE, Gary ?
    And on the 10x44 version ?

Thanks very much.
    Hendrick

Gary C Guest
    all Viper scopes the same

Windage I don't know but if you are getting much off centre you have a problem !

That's quite a range anyways, Gary !
    Thanks again,

Hendrick

Gary,
    Sorry to bother you with another question for which I found no source of info:
    What is the minimum focus distance on the 10x44 and on max (12 x) zoom on the 3-12x44, please ?

TIA,

Hendrick