Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another pistol competition

Another pistol competition

By popular demand I am going to oversee another pistol competition.
    This time though, again by popular demand, it will be open to any air pistol with exception of co2 or pcp. The reason for the exception is to only have pistols that have some effort required to cock, other than that use any thing you wish. Got something not seeing the light of day, well get it out ( er..... pistol I mean of course!) and put it to good use.

Standard 10m nsra pistol targets as before, shot at 10m.
    5 shots per card on 4 cards, total 20 shots, 4 cards per month for 6 months, scores to be submitted before the 25th of each month.
    Max 20 warm up shots before shooting all cards one after the other, no breaks.
    Honesty a virtue as always

This time my business www.shireshop.co.uk will put up £20 prize money to be used at sponsors of this forum Jsramsbotttom. ( I will work out the method of payment before the competition finishes.)
    I will try and get a seperate webpage setup to display scores, but scores are to be posted on this thread so that I can collate them on the website.

First scores to be submitted by 25th December 2007.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

Cheers

Graeme ( who will be having a bash with his FWB 80)
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    HI Graeme

Would you just confirm that the target type is the " NSRA Air 4/89 10 Metres - 1 Target Air Pistol " and scored inward gauging? e.g. if pellet hole touches (doesn't have to break the line) the Bull ring it scores 10

May well have to rummage at the club to see if we have some of these, and then try to find somewhere to shoot. Could easily manage the 6 yards target range (just a 10M target scaled down for the shorter range) in the living room, but may otherwise have to remove kitchen door to 'find' the extra yardage

Could well mean the HW75 coming out of the cupboard.

Cheers

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

levidog is offline I got wood.........Bzzzzzz
    Sorry I'm being a bit thick, what controls people using what gun etc. I'm a member of a 10m club and have to get an official to sign it.

I'd love to have a go but at a level playing field

Sean

Biggles... Yes thats the one, for others to see, it is the 6th one down herehttp://www.nsra.co.uk/Shop2/Shop_html/airgun.htm
    and yes, inward scoring.

Levidog. The competition is open to all pistols except pcp and co2.
    No official signing is required as the cards do not need to be sent in. The competition is purely an honesty event, in my ideal world we are all trustworthy and gentlemanly enough to participate honestly.
    The gun started with should be the gun used throughout the duration of the competition, anything that requires an effort to cock which is why pcp and
    co2 are excluded from entry.
    Although shot over only 20 shots per month the effort of cocking will/should add a bit of extra concentration into the mix.

The last comp I oversaw was very gun specific and hence limits the people participating, lots of folks wanted a go but did not have the particular gun hence this one being an open.
    The main point of taking part is not so much winning as improving your own shooting ( if it needs it), shooting against other people I find helps me do better. The prize is only token and really just an incentive for more people to take part.

Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by pollythedog View Post
    Biggles... Yes thats the one, for others to see, it is the 6th one down herehttp://www.nsra.co.uk/Shop2/Shop_html/airgun.htm

Cheers
    Graeme
    Does anyone know where I can get maybe 100 of these targets mail order as the NSRA only seem to do them in 1000's

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Me!

I'm interested! Of course, I'm already trying to do 3 other air pistol postal competitions, but what the hell....

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Targets, yes

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get maybe 100 of these targets mail order as the NSRA only seem to do them in 1000's
    I agree, I need to get hold of some/one of these, but don't need to shell out hundreds, to purchase thousands of targets!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Lightbulb Just an idea .....

Hi All, but especially Graeme - our host.

The issue of target availability was almost bound to crop up, especially as not everyone who would hope to join in the fun is a club member where the NSRA cards might be stocked. I beleive that some gun shops stock the bulk NSRA cards for sale in smaller quantities, but even then they're not cheap.

Not sure if this will work (1st time I've tried on the BBS), but if successful and 'approved' by the mods you should see attached a .pdf file with two pages; one with a single 10M pistol target and one with four. The 2nd page is for those brave souls reasonably confident of hitting at least the '5' ring, otherwise risking scoring zero.

These have been drafted by me, from scratch and using simple MS Office Word drawing tools. I did this a few years ago when my interest in pistol shooting re-emerged - so copyright rests with me, and I'd be more than happy for BBS members to reproduce them, as presented here (with the 'BBS Postal Comp' heading) and for the purpose of their own shooting in this competition.

The size of the target is based on the ISSF 10m Air Pistol model. I'm not quite sure how they compare to the NSRA rules equivalent, but they must be very close.

Assuming people entering this postal comp have a PC to download it (unlikely that they won't; otherwise how will they have heard of the comp in the first place ) and a printer, this might solve the issue AND at least ensures we're all using the same target.

As far as printing these go, I know there's an issue with paper stock. 'Proper' targets are produced on special 'rag' stuff, which is undoubtedly best (gives nice clean holes) but to best of my knowledge impossible to get hold of. However, even bog standard copy paper does 'OK' and light (say 120g) card is better. Not an issue with laser printers, but if like me you use an inkjet, they're best printed with LOW ink coverage - set your printer to 'draft' or 'fast draft'.

Whatever printer in use, don't forget to set Page Scaling to 'None'. This ensures that the image neither grows nor shrinks if you happen to be using anything other than A4 paper or your printer has restrictions on printing edge-to-edge.

Whadaya reckon ?

Biggles

(if you're looking for said attachment - removed following revision attached to post #13)
    Last edited by biggles; 29-11-2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: to add bit about Page Scaling
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Hi Biggles, mighty fine of you. Nice one.
    I wondered about buying a bulk lot of cards and selling them on, but with postgae etc it does become expensive. Your idea will solve this.

Don't forget, it's not a postal comp, just a "submission of scores on this thread" comp ( for want of a better description).

One other thing I should point out that I exclude myself from the prize, not that I expect to be any where near winning!

Best of luck to all.
    Graeme
    Last edited by pollythedog; 30-11-2007 at 11:51 AM.

10 metre pistol

Well done Graeme for organising this comp. and Biggles for his input.

Consider Pete, Ken and myself as definate entries

Just a couple of questions

1 For those shooters who do not have access to a 10 metre range, have you considered opening it up to using the NSRA 6 yard air pistol cards 1980 AIR 8
    These cards were issued as a scaled down version of the 10 metre AIR4/89 cards. I used to run 10 metre and 6 yd air pistol leagues in the 1980's in Yorkshire and shooters averages over the 2 disciplines were very similar. If anything the 10 metre scores were a slightly better than the 6yd. (just a thought)

2 Can a shooter enter twice? Using 1 of his pistols in 1 comp, and a seperate one in another. This would be interesting for plinkers like Pete, Ken, Roger and I who would use a FAS 604 for one entry and say a Tempest, HW or LP53 in the other entry. I will keep an eye on a certain individuals foot faults

My local gunshop was selling 10metre pistol and 10metre rifle cards in small packs quite cheaply. They are a poorer quality than the official AIR 4/89 cards but may do at a push for shooters who are not club members

PS
    Don't forget that rabbit food
    regards
    John
    hold me back !!

Smile

Hi John
    Fair do's, 6yd cards acceptable, can't do them myself as the missus does not like me shooting through lounge into the kitchen, which is fair enough, the kitchen, after all, is hers!!! And besides I/we have a mighty fine club facilty to make use of...despite the funny whiff of herbal tea that now pervades the place!

Might have to bring in a "no headphones and music" rule if Ken starts scoring too high!

I don't mind folk entering seperate times with seperate guns...but... perhaps the other shooters would like to make any comments regarding this first, before saying "yay" or "nay".
    cheers
    Graeme

p.s. rabbit food on order

I have made an initial start on the webiste results page, it is combined with my business site as that way it is free. I am also not brilliant at webpages so it is a little basic!
    visit www.shireshop.co.uk and look to the very bottom right of the page, there you should see a link to the "10m air pistol competition".
    Any problems let me know.
    And yes, it is blatant advertsing of my site, but as it sells no airgun related product I hope the mods won't mind.
    cheers
    Graeme

p.s. when you submit your first scores let me know what your weapon of choice is to add to the list on the site. thank you.

Target Mk 2

TARGET FILE REMOVED AND NOW IN POST #33

OK Chaps

Assuming Graeme's rule is the same length as mine (), it rather looks as though the ISSF are somewhat less generous than the NSRA. The single bull version attached to my earlier post had only a measly 13.8cm '2' scoring ring, compared with his measured 18cm. What's 5 cm between friends ?? !!

Protoype v2 single bull only (1 page) target attached. Took a fair bit of tweaking, but trial print runs now has this checking out at a perfect 18cm.

WIll attempt to re-do a 4-bull single sheet edition, but will have to be restricted to the '6' ring at best. Prob won't be able to sort this much before end of the week. So you'll have to 'do' with using more sheets of paper 'til then.

Graeme .... Be grateful if you'd print this off and OK it, or advise if any further adjustments needed.

Biggles
    Last edited by biggles; 30-11-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: to remove pdf file

A 6 Yard Version (2 bull)

<< TARGET FILE REMOVED AND RELAUNCHED AT POST #33 >>

Bit pre-emptive, but if my ruler was the right length for the Mk 2 10 metre target in last post, then attached is a 2 bull version for use at 6 YARDS.

The 2 ring on this measures 97mm i.e. 53.9% of the 10M version. That's what my calculator told me was the difference between 10M and 6 yards.

For me, this is perfect for the living room, without having to encroach on the kitchen and increase risk of clipping door frame on the way through

Biggles
    Last edited by biggles; 30-11-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: to remove pdf attachment

Im interested in joining the competition but never competed in any shooting discipline before so a couple of questions, please bear with my ignorance.

Distance of 6m/10m. Where is that dimension taken from/to? Its fairly obvious the face of the target is fixed but is it to the toes or the muzzle of the pistol?

I will be using a .177 HW45, does that mean someone using a .22 has an advantage because the size of the holes in the target are bigger?

Roy