Thread: Another pistol competition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

10 metre pistol

Well done Graeme for organising this comp. and Biggles for his input.

Consider Pete, Ken and myself as definate entries

Just a couple of questions

1 For those shooters who do not have access to a 10 metre range, have you considered opening it up to using the NSRA 6 yard air pistol cards 1980 AIR 8
    These cards were issued as a scaled down version of the 10 metre AIR4/89 cards. I used to run 10 metre and 6 yd air pistol leagues in the 1980's in Yorkshire and shooters averages over the 2 disciplines were very similar. If anything the 10 metre scores were a slightly better than the 6yd. (just a thought)

2 Can a shooter enter twice? Using 1 of his pistols in 1 comp, and a seperate one in another. This would be interesting for plinkers like Pete, Ken, Roger and I who would use a FAS 604 for one entry and say a Tempest, HW or LP53 in the other entry. I will keep an eye on a certain individuals foot faults

My local gunshop was selling 10metre pistol and 10metre rifle cards in small packs quite cheaply. They are a poorer quality than the official AIR 4/89 cards but may do at a push for shooters who are not club members

PS
    Don't forget that rabbit food
    regards
    John
    hold me back !!

Smile

Hi John
    Fair do's, 6yd cards acceptable, can't do them myself as the missus does not like me shooting through lounge into the kitchen, which is fair enough, the kitchen, after all, is hers!!! And besides I/we have a mighty fine club facilty to make use of...despite the funny whiff of herbal tea that now pervades the place!

Might have to bring in a "no headphones and music" rule if Ken starts scoring too high!

I don't mind folk entering seperate times with seperate guns...but... perhaps the other shooters would like to make any comments regarding this first, before saying "yay" or "nay".
    cheers
    Graeme

p.s. rabbit food on order
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

I have made an initial start on the webiste results page, it is combined with my business site as that way it is free. I am also not brilliant at webpages so it is a little basic!
    visit www.shireshop.co.uk and look to the very bottom right of the page, there you should see a link to the "10m air pistol competition".
    Any problems let me know.
    And yes, it is blatant advertsing of my site, but as it sells no airgun related product I hope the mods won't mind.
    cheers
    Graeme

p.s. when you submit your first scores let me know what your weapon of choice is to add to the list on the site. thank you.
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)

Target Mk 2

TARGET FILE REMOVED AND NOW IN POST #33

OK Chaps

Assuming Graeme's rule is the same length as mine (), it rather looks as though the ISSF are somewhat less generous than the NSRA. The single bull version attached to my earlier post had only a measly 13.8cm '2' scoring ring, compared with his measured 18cm. What's 5 cm between friends ?? !!

Protoype v2 single bull only (1 page) target attached. Took a fair bit of tweaking, but trial print runs now has this checking out at a perfect 18cm.

WIll attempt to re-do a 4-bull single sheet edition, but will have to be restricted to the '6' ring at best. Prob won't be able to sort this much before end of the week. So you'll have to 'do' with using more sheets of paper 'til then.

Graeme .... Be grateful if you'd print this off and OK it, or advise if any further adjustments needed.

Biggles
    Last edited by biggles; 30-11-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: to remove pdf file
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)

A 6 Yard Version (2 bull)

<< TARGET FILE REMOVED AND RELAUNCHED AT POST #33 >>

Bit pre-emptive, but if my ruler was the right length for the Mk 2 10 metre target in last post, then attached is a 2 bull version for use at 6 YARDS.

The 2 ring on this measures 97mm i.e. 53.9% of the 10M version. That's what my calculator told me was the difference between 10M and 6 yards.

For me, this is perfect for the living room, without having to encroach on the kitchen and increase risk of clipping door frame on the way through

Biggles
    Last edited by biggles; 30-11-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: to remove pdf attachment
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Im interested in joining the competition but never competed in any shooting discipline before so a couple of questions, please bear with my ignorance.

Distance of 6m/10m. Where is that dimension taken from/to? Its fairly obvious the face of the target is fixed but is it to the toes or the muzzle of the pistol?

I will be using a .177 HW45, does that mean someone using a .22 has an advantage because the size of the holes in the target are bigger?

Roy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G View Post
    Im interested in joining the competition but never competed in any shooting discipline before so a couple of questions, please bear with my ignorance.

Distance of 6m/10m. Where is that dimension taken from/to? Its fairly obvious the face of the target is fixed but is it to the toes or the muzzle of the pistol?

I will be using a .177 HW45, does that mean someone using a .22 has an advantage because the size of the holes in the target are bigger?

Roy
    From the toes

distances

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G View Post

Roy

Hi Roy
    The distances are 10 metres and 6yards (not 6metres)
    This distance is from the face of the target to a firing line behind which you keep both feet The disciplines are shot unsupported (by that I mean no part of the body can touch a table or bench etc)

It also goes without saying that it must be shot one-handed

The disciplines are shot using .177 only (.22 are not used at these 2 distances)

The HW45 that you intend to use is very accurate over these ranges(and beyond) and I have seen 1 hole groups shot with them at 10 metres - no pressure.

In air rifle disciplines that allow .22 guns, all shots close to a scoring ring are probed using a .22 probe and not .177 to keep a level playing field eg Short Range Sport Rifle (shot at 20 yards)
    Regards
    John
    hold me back !!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

How to post scores?

Do we just post our scores here?

I shot this morning, used the "6 yard" target: my score was: 24, 23, 29, 26, = 102 / 200.

I used a Beeman P3 .177 pistol, H&N wadcutter pellets, one handed, open sights.

Not good, but on par for me.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

January scores

Polly, here are my January scores (slightly worse than my December scores: Happy New Year! )

19, 34, 25, 22 = 100 / 200

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

10 metre pistol Target

Quote by Derekm

Sorry if I'm missing the point with these targets, but our club is in the NSRA and the targets we use for 10m pistol are Edelman Rika No 2000, with a "2" ring of 139mm (that's the ring between 1 and 2).

The printoff in the link, with no page scaling has a "2" ring of 180mm.
    Which is the target for the comp please?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Derekm
    NSRA 10metre cards
    You have the correct target if the diameter of the 2 ring is 139mm. These are the official NSRA AIR 4/89 Targets

The diameter of the 7 ring(blacked area) should be 59.5mm
    The diameter of the 1 ring is 156mm

John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by biggles View Post
    Bit pre-emptive, but if my ruler was the right length for the Mk 2 10 metre target in last post, then attached is a 2 bull version for use at 6 YARDS.

The 2 ring on this measures 97mm i.e. 53.9% of the 10M version. That's what my calculator told me was the difference between 10M and 6 yards.

For me, this is perfect for the living room, without having to encroach on the kitchen and increase risk of clipping door frame on the way through

Biggles

Biggles
    This target you are referring to is not the standard NSRA 6 yard target

There have been 3 different 6 yard targets used in competition over the past 30 years and the current one used in NSRA competitions which has superceeded the previous 2 (easier ones) is called the AIR 8 Target

It has been used since 1980 in NSRA run air pistol 6 yard competitions in the UK

The diameter of the 1 ring is 83 mm
    The diameter of the 2 ring is 74 mm
    The diameter of the 7 ring is 31mm
    The diameter of the bull is 4.5mm

This target also has a Zero ring which is 92 mm in diameter

This target is a scaled down version of the 10M target and most shooters will get similar scores at both 10M and 6yds using the appropriate targets

I would guess that the target you have described may be based on the dimensions of the 1970's NARPA cards. NARPA dissappeared back in the 1980's
    I hope this helps.
    Unfortunately I have only seen 1 source for purchasing these 6 yard cards and that of course is the NSRA
    John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by biggles View Post
    OK Chaps

Assuming Graeme's rule is the same length as mine (), it rather looks as though the ISSF are somewhat less generous than the NSRA. The single bull version attached to my earlier post had only a measly 13.8cm '2' scoring ring, compared with his measured 18cm. What's 5 cm between friends ?? !!

Protoype v2 single bull only (1 page) target attached. Took a fair bit of tweaking, but trial print runs now has this checking out at a perfect 18cm.

WIll attempt to re-do a 4-bull single sheet edition, but will have to be restricted to the '6' ring at best. Prob won't be able to sort this much before end of the week. So you'll have to 'do' with using more sheets of paper 'til then.

Graeme .... Be grateful if you'd print this off and OK it, or advise if any further adjustments needed.

Biggles
    Sorry if I'm missing the point with these targets, but our club is in the NSRA and the targets we use for 10m pistol are Edelman Rika No 2000, with a "2" ring of 139mm (that's the ring between 1 and 2).

The printoff in the link, with no page scaling has a "2" ring of 180mm.
    Which is the target for the comp please?
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.