Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Another pistol competition

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G View Post
    Im interested in joining the competition but never competed in any shooting discipline before so a couple of questions, please bear with my ignorance.

Distance of 6m/10m. Where is that dimension taken from/to? Its fairly obvious the face of the target is fixed but is it to the toes or the muzzle of the pistol?

I will be using a .177 HW45, does that mean someone using a .22 has an advantage because the size of the holes in the target are bigger?

Roy
    From the toes

If you look at this link you will see printable targets of the correct size, both 10m and reduced distance,

Lower left corner

http://www.airguninfo.com/46index.shtml

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by biggles View Post
    OK Chaps

Assuming Graeme's rule is the same length as mine (), it rather looks as though the ISSF are somewhat less generous than the NSRA. The single bull version attached to my earlier post had only a measly 13.8cm '2' scoring ring, compared with his measured 18cm. What's 5 cm between friends ?? !!

Protoype v2 single bull only (1 page) target attached. Took a fair bit of tweaking, but trial print runs now has this checking out at a perfect 18cm.

WIll attempt to re-do a 4-bull single sheet edition, but will have to be restricted to the '6' ring at best. Prob won't be able to sort this much before end of the week. So you'll have to 'do' with using more sheets of paper 'til then.

Graeme .... Be grateful if you'd print this off and OK it, or advise if any further adjustments needed.

Biggles
    Sorry if I'm missing the point with these targets, but our club is in the NSRA and the targets we use for 10m pistol are Edelman Rika No 2000, with a "2" ring of 139mm (that's the ring between 1 and 2).

The printoff in the link, with no page scaling has a "2" ring of 180mm.
    Which is the target for the comp please?
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

10 metre pistol Target

Quote by Derekm

Sorry if I'm missing the point with these targets, but our club is in the NSRA and the targets we use for 10m pistol are Edelman Rika No 2000, with a "2" ring of 139mm (that's the ring between 1 and 2).

The printoff in the link, with no page scaling has a "2" ring of 180mm.
    Which is the target for the comp please?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Derekm
    NSRA 10metre cards
    You have the correct target if the diameter of the 2 ring is 139mm. These are the official NSRA AIR 4/89 Targets

The diameter of the 7 ring(blacked area) should be 59.5mm
    The diameter of the 1 ring is 156mm

John
    hold me back !!

Post 20; that's the one John.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

Could someone produce a printable (correct size) NSRA target, for those who cannot buy them? Also for our friends over the pond, as the chances are they will be unfindable in the States.
    Printed on ordinary paper and backed with a bit of cornflake packet, they should cut OK for a friendly comp.

distances

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G View Post
    Im interested in joining the competition but never competed in any shooting discipline before so a couple of questions, please bear with my ignorance.

Distance of 6m/10m. Where is that dimension taken from/to? Its fairly obvious the face of the target is fixed but is it to the toes or the muzzle of the pistol?

I will be using a .177 HW45, does that mean someone using a .22 has an advantage because the size of the holes in the target are bigger?

Roy

Hi Roy
    The distances are 10 metres and 6yards (not 6metres)
    This distance is from the face of the target to a firing line behind which you keep both feet The disciplines are shot unsupported (by that I mean no part of the body can touch a table or bench etc)

It also goes without saying that it must be shot one-handed

The disciplines are shot using .177 only (.22 are not used at these 2 distances)

The HW45 that you intend to use is very accurate over these ranges(and beyond) and I have seen 1 hole groups shot with them at 10 metres - no pressure.

In air rifle disciplines that allow .22 guns, all shots close to a scoring ring are probed using a .22 probe and not .177 to keep a level playing field eg Short Range Sport Rifle (shot at 20 yards)
    Regards
    John
    hold me back !!

10 metre cards

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    Could someone produce a printable (correct size) NSRA target, for those who cannot buy them? Also for our friends over the pond, as the chances are they will be unfindable in the States.
    Printed on ordinary paper and backed with a bit of cornflake packet, they should cut OK for a friendly comp.
    The NSRA card is identical to the 10 metre cards that are used internationally in World/Olympic comps etc. and so are used all over the world
    The 6 yard cards are different and were produced by the NSRA partly for those clubs that do not have 10m facilities. I doubt if they are found abroad but I could be wrong(often am)
    John
    hold me back !!

Right!
    Hope I'm not jumping the gun, but to get the show on the road (and get the laughs over with!) here are my first four ABYSSMAL cards, shot last night with a Baikal IZH 53M.

5 7 7 9 9 37
    5 7 8 9 9 38
    5 6 7 8 9 35
    6 8 8 9 10x 41
    ------------------
    151/ 200

Must practice more with this springy thing; first time I picked one up I did an 86!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Hi Roy
    The distances are 10 metres and 6yards (not 6metres)
    This distance is from the face of the target to a firing line behind which you keep both feet The disciplines are shot unsupported (by that I mean no part of the body can touch a table or bench etc)

It also goes without saying that it must be shot one-handed

The disciplines are shot using .177 only (.22 are not used at these 2 distances)

The HW45 that you intend to use is very accurate over these ranges(and beyond) and I have seen 1 hole groups shot with them at 10 metres - no pressure.

In air rifle disciplines that allow .22 guns, all shots close to a scoring ring are probed using a .22 probe and not .177 to keep a level playing field eg Short Range Sport Rifle (shot at 20 yards)
    Regards
    John
    As you say no pressure and taking into account my recent attempts I have a LOT to learn and from your comments about the HW45 I cant even blame the pistol

I currently using Crossman Match Pell through my HW45.
    Is this the 'recommended' pellet for my pistol?

Right, major apologies due to all. I think I have been at the Bacardi again, ignore all my comments on target sizes, measurments etc. It would really help matters if I actually measured a 10m pistol taget instead of a rifle taget for 20 yards!!!!!!.
    I had a taget in front of me that I had ripped off the corner to make a note on, and without putting my brain into gear have been measuring that one.

Biggles, I am so sorry for the run around on this.
    Everyone else, listenn to John (pennineway.fswo) who has a lot more knowledge and common sense than I do.

Once the target isssue is sorted I am confident that I can look after the score collation though!
    Bugger I am so annoyed at myself it's unbelivable!

First scores from Derek now on the website. Thank you.
    Last edited by pollythedog; 30-11-2007 at 11:53 AM.
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Abysmal?

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    Right!
    Hope I'm not jumping the gun, but to get the show on the road (and get the laughs over with!) here are my first four ABYSSMAL cards, shot last night with a Baikal IZH 53M.

5 7 7 9 9 37
    5 7 8 9 9 38
    5 6 7 8 9 35
    6 8 8 9 10x 41
    ------------------
    151/ 200

Must practice more with this springy thing; first time I picked one up I did an 86!
    I wish I could be doing so abysmally bad with my Beeman, The BEST card I ever shot was 37/50; TYPICAL card is far worse.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Iron sights? Optics?

I assume this will be iron sights only? (I hope so; I don't own a scope!)

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim
    welcome on board
    gotta admit I had not even thought about anything other than iron sights being used.

But, yes, iron sights are the order of the day.
    Cheers
    Graeme

Results at http://www.shireshop.co.uk scroll to bottom right for link to results page.
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.