Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Stream 4.5-14X44 TMR

Light Stream 4.5-14X44 TMR

The above I've had for a few weeks now, and it has given nothing but flawless performance.

I visited BTAS to view one, and Ben explained the different aspects very enthusiastically, and appears quite keen of these scopes Himself which is always a good testimonial .

I purchased one, and went on my way to collect the Steyr it was destined to be mounted on.

Light Transmission: One superb aspect of this scope, even in low light is still gives excellent clarity, particularly in the dim winter light we are experiencing at present.

Turrets: These are fairly high profile target jobbies, 1/8 MOA double sprung. Extremely positive mechanical adjustment to them, and clearly marked in gold lettering.

Adjustable objective: Works via the usual front set parallax ring, smooth, and gliding operation. One slight difficulty is it will not PX below 15 yards.

Waterproof: Now this is quality!, no matter how wet the lenses get you still receive a clear sight picture!. I was literally tipping rain out the eye bell, yet the scope remained perfectly clear despite having the lenses drenched with beads of rain. The scope itself is perfectly secured against the elements.

Finish: Very slick matte black, which is quite thickly applied, and scratch resistant. Nice an even all over application, with gold lettering gives a very classy look to the scope.

Weight: I'm not cognisant of the exact weight, however it adds a very reasonable amount to the rifle unlike the usual over chunky styles. A 25mm tube allows it to mount very low to the rifle itself.

Reticle: The superb tactical milling reticle, usually only found on state of the art tactical Leupold's. Gives easy holdover estimation, and a uncluttered grid.

First Focal plane: This is what makes these so different, as opposed to the second focal plane type scopes it features the far more unusual first focal plane. This guarantees no POA changes whatsoever due to adjustment of the magnification, or P/X. The reticle stays perfectly clear too, and the higher the mag the larger it becomes, bizzare, but quite useful IMO.

So overall I rate these scopes very highly, particularly for HFT, and hunting due to it's ability to withstand temperature changes, and moisture.

They aren't cheap, but are well worth the money overall, and give the same quality glass as far more expensive makes.

Give one a try .

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    Nice review
    I've tried many different scopes in the last few months, but the Lightstreams are definitely 'keepers'. Only point I would disagree with is that mine seem to PX down to about 10yds without problem.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

Have to agree- still getting used to it, but so far very impressed. Low light performance isn't quite as good as my Zeiss (not much is TBH) , but very nearly, and that's saying something.

Derek
    Daystate Merlyn LE#12+Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 MC
    AA400 carbine, Zeiler 8-32x44
    Swallows FTC. 'darn 'sarf..

I agree with nearly everything you say.. except the 15 yards, mine also goes down to about 10 yards.

If I was being harsh Id say I find the fact that it tunnels up to x 6.5 mag a tad dissapointing but as I hardly ever use it below x7 its not an issue for me. I'd also prefer if it had side focus for fast and easy ranging.

Overall- A brilliant scope. The FFP type ret system is so well suited to air rifles, makes it the near perfect scope for me. Get one.. you wont regret it

Btw.. Falcon have just brought out a FFP Menace with side focus.

Cheers for all the replies folks.

They are indeed one of the best scopes on the market, and the fact so few get resold is testament to the number of happy shooters using them IMO.

Well worth paying the extra for.

i have used one belonging to a friend of mine. i agree with most of what you said.

i did have a little 'problem' with the stiff turrets. i know S&B also feel somewhat stiffer than other scopes like leupold but their knob is wider and you can apply more torque if thats the correct word for it.

i do like the FFP reticle alot. however bearing all that in mind i don't find the 1/8" that appealing for me, i would prefer to go with 1/4" or else given the option, Metric turrets to have reticle and turrets matching.

the front parallax works great but easier to have it as a side turret. i have found most of these features in the Falcon Menace scopes and they have been receiving alot of good reviews online. if i remember well they also come at a better price.

one more thing im remembering about the lightstream. this same friend has also the one with the higher mag and 30mm tube. the scope is lovely to use however i was much bothered by the fact that the elevation turret has NO lines demarcating at what revolution you are at and me being a clicker i find major fault in that. to others this is not a concern.
    m 2p

The "stiff" turrets you speak of Films are due to the fact that they are double sprung.. a small trade-off Im more than happy to put up with for their repeatability/reliability. These scopes are the real deal and are built to last.

Alan put so much time and effort into the Light-Stream project and the people that wanted to know about his scope, its such a shame he did not have more time. Sadly he passed away on the 6th of March, Daniel and I will miss him greatly, such a genuine and nice person.

Ben Taylor

light stream

i have 2 of them one on fac theoben mfr with 16" barral awt silencer tuned by the master
    and the other on btas hft 400 .and they both mag down to 10yds
    i also have lupo on .22 anshutz 1417 and the only reason i have it is that mate of mine got it from usa for me if i am realy honest i prefer the lightsteam they are the dogs.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy View Post
    Alan put so much time and effort into the Light-Stream project and the people that wanted to know about his scope, its such a shame he did not have more time. Sadly he passed away on the 6th of March, Daniel and I will miss him greatly, such a genuine and nice person.

Ben Taylor
    Thats very sad news Ben. When I 1st put a wanted ad in for my Lightstream on here Alan offered to send me one to try at no cost and with no obligation to buy, a superb gesture.

A sad loss for scope industry and to the BBS.. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace mate

I have just received mine from BTAS. Really pleased with the service from Dan and the scope is amazing. The optics are crystal clear, the finish is shear quality. It’s a keeper for sure!

Anyone else find it "fussy" on eye positioning?

Just ordered the 5-20 x 50 from Airmasters.
    Today I had a look through the 4-14 x 44 and it is definitely the best glass this side of a Zeiss Conquest series I have looked through.
    The 5-20 is nice and fine for long range day time and the illumination will make it suitable for nightime.

Excellent scopes from what I have seen so far.

[QUOTE=blue;2605110]Just ordered the 5-20 x 50 from Airmasters.
    Today I had a look through the 4-14 x 44 and it is definitely the best glass this side of a Zeiss Conquest series

I have both, Conquest and Lightstream: I´d say the Zeiss is just a bit sharper, but I like the Lightstream just as much - great reticle.

Derek
    Daystate Merlyn LE#12+Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 MC
    AA400 carbine, Zeiler 8-32x44
    Swallows FTC. 'darn 'sarf..

Looks like it has fallen through.
    Airmasters will only supply if they can order 3 of them.
    Minimum order is 3.
    Looks like I'll be importing my next new scope ....... Again