Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light Stream 4.5-14X44 TMR

I had two of the first focal plane Lightstream.

Optically they are brilliant, but it seems that much of the bright picture is due to the ret being formed from wire rather than engraved in the glass.

The worst aspect however is the parallax error if using holdover (so I'm a wee bit surprised by the comments about it being a great HFT 'scope.....it's not!) As a dial in for the range being shot it makes an excellent sniper 'scope.

Then again I bought a Bushnell 6500 & thought that to be way over rated too.

I've no experience with the upper end 'scopes such as S&B or Ziess by the way

ATB

Ken

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoto View Post

Optically they are brilliant, but it seems that much of the bright picture is due to the ret being formed from wire rather than engraved in the glass.

The worst aspect however is the parallax error if using holdover (so I'm a wee bit surprised by the comments about it being a great HFT 'scope.....it's not!) As a dial in for the range being shot it makes an excellent sniper 'scope.

Then again I bought a Bushnell 6500 & thought that to be way over rated too.

I've no experience with the upper end 'scopes such as S&B or Ziess by the way

ATB

Ken
    Glad I hadn't read this before scoring 60 ex 60 in a recent Southern Hunters round, with one of these scopes, it might have put me off.

Tip for anyone using a Lightstream, try it on 8x mag. Keeps the same aimpoints but seems to have less px error, than at higher power.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

Great shooting.....I suspect you could shoot using a milk bottle as a 'scope though!

And we seem to agree on the parallax error. Have to admit that I didn't try keeping at 8x though. But didn't think that with a £400+ FFP I'd need to limit how I wanted to use the 'scope

ATB

Ken

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Glad I hadn't read this before scoring 60 ex 60 in a recent Southern Hunters round, with one of these scopes, it might have put me off.

Tip for anyone using a Lightstream, try it on 8x mag. Keeps the same aimpoints but seems to have less px error, than at higher power.
    Ever tried the 3-9x40 Weaver Tactical? I suspect that you might rather like it.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Lightstream

I have 4 one all the guns i hunt with .22 theoben fac btas 400 btas elan .20 gin b stock and ruger 10/22 flawless

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vimes View Post
    Ever tried the 3-9x40 Weaver Tactical? I suspect that you might rather like it.
    One of the few that I havn't tried, main problem for me is reticle clarity/focus, due to poor eyesight. Most expensive 'mistake' so far, has been a Mk4 Leopold with a TMR reticle, much too fine for my eyes.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Great shooting.....I suspect you could shoot using a milk bottle as a 'scope though!

And we seem to agree on the parallax error. Have to admit that I didn't try keeping at 8x though. But didn't think that with a £400+ FFP I'd need to limit how I wanted to use the 'scope

ATB

Ken
    Not so much 'limiting' in use Ken, more the point that head/eye position is more critical with some scopes.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    One of the few that I havn't tried, main problem for me is reticle clarity/focus, due to poor eyesight. Most expensive 'mistake' so far, has been a Mk4 Leopold with a TMR reticle, much too fine for my eyes.
    It's just a baby Lightstream with a plain mil-dot reticle and fixed PX. Shame that they are like rocking horse do-do and that Lightstream didn't update them in the way that they did with its bigger sibling.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Optically they are brilliant, but it seems that much of the bright picture is due to the ret being formed from wire rather than engraved in the glass.......

Ken

Okay I've read this a few times, and yet any official description clearly states the LS features a glass etched ret.?

So which is it?

Ken
    The Lightstream has a Glass etched reticle & it's parallax error is no more than most scopes for a given head movement. What most people see as more parallax error on this scope is purely down to massive field of view, you can move your head quite a way & you will still see the picture. This massive head movement will give you plenty of parallax error but during normal shooting you don't move you head side to side this much, for a set head movement (10mm) the Lightstream is slightly better than the Bushnell 6500 & better than the EB Sniper, this is using the same parallax setting & magnification.

I was going to have one of these for the new 17hmr sako ??

but there seems to be a few people that are not that happy with it,

mmmmmmmmmmm

what to go for now,

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotland rifles View Post
    I was going to have one of these for the new 17hmr sako ??

but there seems to be a few people that are not that happy with it,

mmmmmmmmmmm

what to go for now,

bob.
    Bob,
    there's not a scope made that will get universal praise. Because of this I learned to not take too much notice of what others have to say, positive or negative. What works for their eyes might not work for me and vice versa. Make your own mind up, preferably after at least looking through the scope you intend to buy if you possibly can.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vimes View Post
    Bob,
    there's not a scope made that will get universal praise. Because of this I learned to not take too much notice of what others have to say, positive or negative. What works for their eyes might not work for me and vice versa. Make your own mind up, preferably after at least looking through the scope you intend to buy if you possibly can.
    good point Sam

bob.

Bob if your anywhere near Lyneham in the next few days drop me a PM, mines on my Wolf but it will give you a good idea how good these scopes are

Quote Originally Posted by jagxkrs View Post
    Bob if your anywhere near Lyneham in the next few days drop me a PM, mines on my Wolf but it will give you a good idea how good these scopes are
    cheers bud.

i was in hatfield luton dunstable and m K today so i could be about next week,

will keep you posted.

oh ! and thank you for that

bob.