Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A snapshot of the airgun market 32 years ago

God!!!! do I feel a right old fart
    Too many air guns to list but to count them all I need to take my shoes & socks off as well
    BASC Member

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Thanks Danny, great nostalgia . Do you know what? If someone (or some company with copyright reproduction permission ) were to publish a book made up of nothing more than all the old adverts from all the old shooting magazines in hard back with someone like MrTD writing a few introductory words where necessary (and a comprehensive index and chronology list), I for one would buy it and I am sure many more would too ... Just a thought: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Thanks Danny, great nostalgia . Do you know what? If someone (or some company with copyright reproduction permission ) were to publish a book made up of nothing more than all the old adverts from all the old shooting magazines in hard back with someone like MrTD writing a few introductory words where necessary (and a comprehensive index and chronology list), I for one would buy it and I am sure many more would too ... Just a thought: Gareth W-B.
    Brilliant idea Gareth, maybe worth mentioning to El Tel, seems to be a lot of old boys here doing the same memory lane trip as myself. Surely some one would consider your idea. I managed to purchase a few old Air Gunner mags circa 1985 from Fleabay earlier tonight and look forward to reading them from cover to cover and the adverts . Lets hope some kindly soul take your idea onboard and makes a load of old farts HAPPY .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    If someone (or some company with copyright reproduction permission ) were to publish a book made up of nothing more than all the old adverts from all the old shooting magazines in hard back with someone like MrTD writing a few introductory words where necessary (and a comprehensive index and chronology list), I for one would buy it and I am sure many more would too ... Just a thought: Gareth W-B.
    It's a good idea Gareth. There seems to be 'gaps in the market' for airgun books, if interest on here and other forums is an indication of demand for airgun information and nostalgia.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It's a good idea Gareth. There seems to be 'gaps in the market' for airgun books, if interest on here and other forums is an indication of demand for airgun information and nostalgia.
    Thanks Danny, I thought so -- or if not a book, maybe a supplement with AGW? Have p-m'd the idea to Terry too, so who knows ?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Many thanks

Many thanks Garvin, memories or were they really that cheap

Truly excellent and interesting - it takes me back. We had a good choice really and although technology and manufacturing better in main the basic design and look has not changed greatly.
    Have printed this off!
    Steve
    Floccinaucinihilipilificator.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I too like Gareth's idea, I'd certainly buy a copy, it would help sorting out obscure items a load. Funny how even in the space of 30 years we loose basic info about who made what and when, is there a complete llist of Webley production, for. e.g., the Hurricane and Tempests vary a good deal in their production runs, how do we know whats what (I know its real anorak stuff, but years ago I used to have model railway as well...)

I stand to be corrected but is it only the HW35, HW70 and BSA Meteor that are still in production today?
    Steve
    Floccinaucinihilipilificator.

Quote Originally Posted by TURIN TURAMBAR View Post
    I stand to be corrected but is it only the HW35, HW70 and BSA Meteor that are still in production today?
    An updated version of the Diana mod 5 is still made also.

Quote Originally Posted by TURIN TURAMBAR View Post
    The Meteor is still in production (ElGamo ?) but has also changed over the years unlike the '35.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Great Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that Garvin, I've really enjoyed the read!

Happy shooting!

Paul.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Many thanks Garvin, memories or were they really that cheap

As a percentage of your likely income then they were relatively quite a bit more expensive than today.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Back to the Future...

Interesting..

Although most of my time is spent with Powder Burners these days I NEVER forget where my interest started,

I STILL have 5 of the airguns that were on this document:

In the order in which I got them:

.177 Original 23
    .22 Milbro / Diana G77
    .177 Webley Premier
    .177 Webley Hawk (.177 Barrel only)
    .22 BSA Airsporter Mk6..My first two weeks wages as I became an apprentice !
    .177 Original Model 50

I still love shooting airguns - always wanted an HW35E but never got one!

Happy Days
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!