Thread: MTC Viper 3X12X44

MTC Viper 3X12X44

After labotomizing myself online to try to figure out what scope to buy, I finally settled on the MTC Viper. I originally wanted the 4X16, but Airguns of Arizona were out, so I decided on the 3X12.

Here are the vitals on my setup.

Rifle: AAS410ERB .22 FAC
    Scope: MTC Viper 3X12
    Use: Hunting, pest control

My initial observations of the Viper were similar to many others on this site: the glass is very clear, the eye relief is testy, the adjustments are initially stiff and sluggish, the rings do have trouble on the AA rail. Shooting with this scope, however, has been mainly pleasant and trouble free. I've zeroed the scope once, and haven't had to do it again, including having had the rifle fall over twice. Once you find your holdover/under this ret. works well. I can't comment on poi shifts at different magnifications because like many people, I keep it at 10x, if you switch to say 5x, you have to remember the .5 marks are now 1.0 and its easier said than done in a tough shot. At any rate, 10x is the minimum magnification for even my closest shot. I use windage alot, and have a problem with the windage tree. There should be windage tick marks on the branches of the 1.0 mil holdover marks. Without these if your using windage along with holdover you have to eyeball windage off the center crosshair. Additionally, an inverted tree on the hold under would be nice. I suppose its done this way to keep the ret. uncluttered, but it makes the tree much harder to use. Beyond all this bitching though, I have hit every single thing I've attempted to shoot with this scope. Overall, the people at MTC have done a great job, and I'm thrilled I don't have to try to adapt another firearms specific product to my air rifle. I hope any criticism is taken constructively, and that MTC contiues to develop and refine its products.

good review they have alot of fans over here i think ill buy one

Good, balanced review. I think probably, as you say, too much on the reticule would clutter it up.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

I've heard good things about the MTC Viper so I'll be getting the fixed 10 x 44 for my HW100. They say it's well suited to HFT & the reticle looks quite versatile so given its price I reckon it'll be worth a try. I've got an AGS 3-9 x 40 at the moment & I just don't get on with it. Before that, I had a Hawke Airmax 4-12 x 44 & I got on just fine with that until I dropped it. I've already got my MTC waiting for me so I'll be getting that on my rig before the season starts..Hopefully