Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Classics versus new

Yes; the original point was can classics hold their own against modern ones.

The answer is DEFINITELY YES, since the best rifle is the one which SUITS ITS OWNER best; from whatever standpoint!

If you like it and it suits you and does the job you want; that's the best rifle for you!

My own preference is only of interest or concern to me as is yours to you!

Whatever is THE one for you, enjoy your sport or hobby, that's all the really matters!

ATVB
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nocity View Post

So Andy you can come and beat me senseless,
    Too late I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Is there an under 50's chapter to the FWB Sport appreciation society?

Yes. Im in it.

Now, just to put the cat amongst the pigeons - WEBLEY OMEGA!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

[QUOTE=I. J.;4673322]Too late I fear. Watch It

Yes. Im in it. In your distant dreams.

Now, just to put the cat amongst the pigeons - WEBLEY OMEGA!

you mean Mercury `S' ( with Tiger stripe stock )

The Omega and the Mercury S are nice guns, but they are not Feinwerkbau Sports gentlemen.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I Would never slag off a long Webley, in fear of a week's 'holiday' from Gareth!

Phil
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 26-11-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Fear

Mercury S

The Mercury S was improved from an already reasonable air rfile with the addition of a nice walnut stock and a German style pivot bolt in place of the poor pivot pin.
    However it would be hard pressed to better a Sport. Somewhat pellet sensitive, no safety and a BSA trigger which didnt really match some of the German stuff until the later Goldstar offerings.
    Good for upto 860 fps though.

I never did own an Omega though. Heard they were good but cant report.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    The Omega and the Mercury S are nice guns, but they are not Feinwerkbau Sports gentlemen.

Andy
    you are correct, omegas and mercury s's are not fwb sports, thank god!. Neither were made in Germany, neither had a zap gun version, and the last mercury s's especially were far better looking rifles. Can't talk about the merits of an omega as never had nor shot one (Like a fwb!). In fact, I'm not a webley man either, only thing I owned remotely webley was a Beeman C1. Omega ticks lots of box's but never enticed me to buy! Trigger blade too chunky! I am fickle

Omega

Do you know....that was the reason why i didnt buy one....that.. and the weak line to the forend curve.

'rat' ryder

sometimes cool to bust out a classic now and then - i recently sat waiting for over half an hour for a giant rat that had made its home under our decking - eventually it popped its head up and i got a clean headshot with my daisy red ryder - pretty nostalgic.

Its strange to think that prior to becomming a member of BBS, I considered myself "different" at appreciating old air rifles. I might be genuinely strange, but it appears that there are many of us who appreciate the finer things of owning and using classic air powered spring rifles, particualrly if they happened to be manufactured in Germany.

Great arent they!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Its strange to think that prior to becomming a member of BBS, I considered myself "different" at appreciating old air rifles. I might be genuinely strange, but it appears that there are many of us who appreciate the finer things of owning and using classic air powered spring rifles, particualrly if they happened to be manufactured in Germany.

Great arent they!

Andy
    Well, in my case Andy it’s particularly if they are NOT manufactured in ( west ) Germany. But I do keep the BSF S54 Bayern to show IJ a good German rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocity View Post
    But I do keep the BSF S54 Bayern to show IJ a good German rifle.
    Why? Is the good rifle hiding behind it?
    Ive two BSF 54's and the best thing you can say about them is that they are built like brick out houses. I.M.O. one of the worse air rifle EVER to come out of Germany. Its no coincidence they look like the H.S.D. (Relum Tornado )

To get back to the Omega.
    We know very few (if any ) British airguns are on a par with the German offerings but the Omega, in my humble opinion, comes the closest. With its barrel lock (ex '335), scope arrestor grooves (ex 'Sport) resettable (and sturdy) safety catch and a trigger on a par with the best could offer.

ATB
    Ian

[Just off down to the shelter.]
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Waving the flag for the UK, How about Theoben 'rammers'?

Sirocco as a classic -vs- Evo as a new contender?

I'd have either over an Omega, any day

Phil

For Amac

Amac....your not on your own in support of the old classics and there is a fundemental reason why.......a shared view at my club.
    Modern Air Rifles have IMO chased perfect cheek position on the stock and other methods of improving fit at the expense of sleek styling.....possibly taking it too far now.....rifles were never meant to look like this and could not be easily carried around a rough shoot niether.
    Look at a beautifully elegant Rimfire rifle for Rook. Its slender and sleekly styled, not requiring of an half foot high cheeck piece or mutli adjustable (yuk) butt pad. Is it me or are some of the latest stocks on the field target circuit going too far. Heck we might as well be strapped into some bench mounted seat unable to miss. Some of the add on stuff like massive ocular bells and adjustment wheels on scopes have no place for me.
    A rifle should look like a rifle. Be easily carried and sleek.
    Scopes shouldnt really be anything more than say 40mm dia.
    Field target was supposed to replicate the hunting senario but what hunter carries a 10lb monster stocked, scoped shooting bench witha barrel sticking out the end.
    Sleek design like an Airsporter MK1 should have been explored more for me.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bessa View Post
    Amac....your not on your own in support of the old classics and there is a fundemental reason why.......a shared view at my club.
    Modern Air Rifles have IMO chased perfect cheek position on the stock and other methods of improving fit at the expense of sleek styling.....possibly taking it too far now.....rifles were never meant to look like this and could not be easily carried around a rough shoot niether.
    Look at a beautifully elegant Rimfire rifle for Rook. Its slender and sleekly styled, not requiring of an half foot high cheeck piece or mutli adjustable (yuk) butt pad. Is it me or are some of the latest stocks on the field target circuit going too far. Heck we might as well be strapped into some bench mounted seat unable to miss. Some of the add on stuff like massive ocular bells and adjustment wheels on scopes have no place for me.
    A rifle should look like a rifle. Be easily carried and sleek.
    Scopes shouldnt really be anything more than say 40mm dia.
    Field target was supposed to replicate the hunting senario but what hunter carries a 10lb monster stocked, scoped shooting bench witha barrel sticking out the end.
    Sleek design like an Airsporter MK1 should have been explored more for me.
    Agreed I have on order a Diana 34 anniversary and to me they look like an air rifle should, as described above!