Thread: Sutter 4-16x50 AOE scope, 30mm tube

Sunderland - it's no Saint Tropez, but it's home..

Sutter 4-16x50 AOE scope, 30mm tube

Hi all - have been a longtime lurker in the reviews section, got some valuable info from you all & reckoned it was about time I returned the favour. So -

Have just taken delivery of one of these, purchased off fleabay - http://www.sutter-gmbh.de/xtcommerce...E-d-30-LP.html

Impressions so far are pretty good: decent delivery & decent price (£49.94 delivered from Germany in 4 days - better than some UK retailers!).

A general look over is encouranging - nice, solid construction, smooth zoom, AO and eyebell adjustments, no gritty bits or graunches like you find in some other 'budget' scopes.

Reticle adjusters are more like the Hawke MAP6 (3-9x40) than the BDC ones on the manufacturer's photos, but I've had no problems with my MAP scopes and these ones seem solid and 'definite' enough in adjustment by comparison.

The view through? VERY nice!!

Beautifully bright & crisp sight picture, that'll be the 30mm optics then! AO (lockable) ring graduations correspond well with known distances (only checked as far as 50 yards - WAY past my range limits anyway) and no distortions or aberrations at either top mags or at the edges of the field of view. Crosshairs are a fairly robust 30/30 equivalent with a centre spot (illuminated) - the 'sweet spot' in the reticle gives 3 inches - or an adult Bunny's ear length - at 30 yards and 6x mag (distance and object size both measured), so has potential for at least some look-through ranging. Illumination on the red dot looks nice as well - adjustability good and doesn't 'burn out' your view even on full welly.

What's it like to shoot with?

Well, it's now mounted on the 410K via a pair of 30mm BSA Scopemasters I had ordered by mistake(!!) a while back.

If the weather plays nice on the weekend we're off after Brer Rabbit - update to follow...
    S410K, Lightning XL, Supertens long & short, S400 in Evanix thumbhole stock - all 177. Raider & Sirocco in 22.
    If it ain't broke, try harder.

Hi again

Short update on the Sutter scope.

Took a wander up to the range this afternoon to get the thing zeroed in - luckily the wind dropped right off for an hour or so, so I managed to get some results.

Zeroing was no problem, good definite clicks on the adjusters with no sloppiness that I noticed. After shooting a few magazines through, I'd settled into a 'groove' and group sizes were back where they should be - about a penny diameter at 30 yards - so, time to fiddle...

I checked 'zero hold' by dialling in 20 clicks up, then 20 left, 20 back down and 20 right to bring things back to (hopefully) the original zero.

Result?

Bang on! Penny-piece groups again, no further adjustment needed.

So, still a happy camper so far. Off up county on Sunday, so I'll add an 'in the field' update afterwards (assuming I can stay awake!!)
    S410K, Lightning XL, Supertens long & short, S400 in Evanix thumbhole stock - all 177. Raider & Sirocco in 22.

A bit later than planned, but...

...here goes.

Pretty much as I'd expected really - did exactly what it said on the tin!

Sight picture nice & bright, even in shady woods. Managed to need the illuminated red dot for one bunny lurking under a bush - would've been a perfect shot, except for the twig I didn't see that tw*tted the pellet a clear foot to the left of target. (three others weren't so lucky though )

All in all, a very usable field scope for a not-too-nasty price.

I've got another S10 on the way soon and am seriously thinking about another one of these to bolt on it.

Owen

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Arrow SUTTER 4-16 x 50 Scope

Hi
    been looking at the above scope. Like the spec, including the 30/30 reticle.
    Does it parallax focus right down to 10 yards as they say.
    Wondered how your scope was holding up after a couple of months useage. Ad says okay for air guns. Hope they are right as I intend putting it on a springer.
    price for the above now 93 !!. Would welcome your update. Thanks
    AlBur
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

Hi AlBur

93 quid!? Blimey, bit of a shocker!

As far as updates go, there's not really much I can add. The scope's still doing nicely, but it is on an AA S410K so I'm afraid I can't really say how it would do on a springer.

It will focus to 10 yards or thereabouts, but then the height above the barrel/acton you need for the big objective would become a pain as the trigonometry and trajectory of the pellet would make for a lot of hold over or under just a yard or so either side of the zero.

Personally, if I was going to be short-range shooting I'd go for a 40mm scope and get it mounted as low down as I could manage.

Still a great scope though!

Dont buy sutter reddots for springers, I bought this one.

http://cgi.####.de/Tactical-Red-Dot-...742.m153.l1262

The screws holding to the dovtail is in aluminium which is way to soft to cope with the kick from the springer. I had it mounted on my HW45 and it worked very well for a few days, like 500 shots but then it started sliding and when I tightened the screws I broke the threads. But I will exchange the screws and it will be all right again - You get what you pay for.
    Career Infinity .25 - Leapers 3-12X44
    HW45 .177
    FX Verminator .22

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Arrow Scope for a Springer

Hi Capt & Johan
    Thanks for the comments. Good point. Had not thought of trajectory. Always fancied a BIG scope. As you suggest, wrong approach. Now looking at a Nikko Sterling Air King 4-12x42. Any comments on the scope. I know it is not an expensive scope but has a 30/30 reticle and comes with a 1 piece mount which will probably need changing if it is "luminum" as the Americans would call. Cannot beat a decent steel mount or mounts. Worth the extra.
    cheers
    AlBur.
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"