Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Tasco Scope

Old Tasco Scope

Hi,
    I have been given an old Tasco scope 6X40 which is on a one peice mount, I assume that this is old (pre decimalisation?) as the allen keys are BSF-confusing to my young metric brain!
    The view through the scope is almost oblong with rounded corners! Does anyone know how old this thing would be? And does anyone know what it would be worth? There is the odd scratch but overall its in good condition with a good picture through the scope.
    I realise that this is not a rifle but it maybe collectable.
    Thanks.

hi ya,

sounds like an oldish TV view (wide angle?) scope...kassnar used to make them too, possibly late 70's early 80's-ish? wouldn't have a clue what it's worth though?

Thanks, I suspected 70s, Im not sure if the wide angle view would work, maybe just a gimmick!

yeah, if i remember, when you look through them it almost like the reticle is that shape to block out the full sight picture and make it look wider?

Thats it! Probably a peice of card stuck in the end of it! Makes me feel sea sick if I look through it too long!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi. I picked up a Tasco Golden Antler 3-9x40 WA TV screen view scope as described in v-vgc to fit to my AA High Power for £40 iirc a little while back... They were made mainly around the early to mid 1980s, but were still readily available as late as the mid 1990s from many manufacturers. And don't be fooled by the imperial threads etc, as even today imperial sizes are the norm as high-lighted by the prolification of half inch UNF female threaded silencers that abound brand new, to fit the many and varied scope-only brand new rifles that have half inch UNF male barrel ends to accomodate them as standard : Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thanks Gareth,
    I had no idea about the thread to be honest, good to know! This scope is only 6X40 so I imagine fairly worthless! which is no problem as I can now keep it guilt free!
    Thanks again for the info.
    Carl

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    hi ya,

sounds like an oldish TV view (wide angle?) scope...kassnar used to make them too, possibly late 70's early 80's-ish? wouldn't have a clue what it's worth though?
    The TV screen view was very popular late 70's early 80's it was called wide angle but was actually just a cut out MASK inside the scope. A few old Optima's I have at present also have this ''TV View'. Carl strikes again with a nice find , Jammy sod .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

remember wanting a nikko illuminated red dot scope back around the mid 80's, when i finally got one it wasn't all that...used to have a kassnar 4x40 too and i remember that wasn't up to much either. the tasco ag-4x32 was the best scope i had back then

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    As Gareth suggests, don't automatically presume any great age for the scope. I have a Japanese Tasco Golden Antler 2.5-10x44 with what was described as a TV view. The model code is G.A2.510X44TV. It was bought in 93/94 in the long lost gun shop in Scarborough in their closing down sale. It may well have been old stock at the time but I have seen magazine adverts with them listed as late as 1995. Despite the gimmicky TV view the overall quality is very plain to see. A lovely smooth gloss finish and excellent glass for the price. It saddens me to compare it to some of the modern junk bearing the Tasco name. Especially when I think how little it would realise if I put it on sale. Seems such a shame to have it sitting redundant but I can't quite bring myself to let it go.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

I have a mate (Colin) who did the sniper course in the army and is probably the best shot Ive ever seen. Despite this he only ever shoots when I bug him and then he digs around for a 4X40 because he likes the challenge! Maybe everything else is excess/overcompensation/??

Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    I have a mate (Colin) who did the sniper course in the army and is probably the best shot Ive ever seen. Despite this he only ever shoots when I bug him and then he digs around for a 4X40 because he likes the challenge! Maybe everything else is excess/overcompensation/??
    i use a simmons 1.2-5x20 wtc scope set on 1.5 most of the time, i shake too much otherwise. i'll push it up to 5x from a rest though. got one on my genesis and another on an s200, great little scopes

Hi,
    every credit, I dont think Ive ever seen one but I rather like the look of the narrower scopes. Was 4X40 was used by the forces in both world wars? A competition limiting scope power may be interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    As Gareth suggests, don't automatically presume any great age for the scope. I have a Japanese Tasco Golden Antler 2.5-10x44 with what was described as a TV view. The model code is G.A2.510X44TV. It was bought in 93/94 in the long lost gun shop in Scarborough in their closing down sale. It may well have been old stock at the time but I have seen magazine adverts with them listed as late as 1995. Despite the gimmicky TV view the overall quality is very plain to see. A lovely smooth gloss finish and excellent glass for the price. It saddens me to compare it to some of the modern junk bearing the Tasco name. Especially when I think how little it would realise if I put it on sale. Seems such a shame to have it sitting redundant but I can't quite bring myself to let it go.
    Your right, I have the same scope on my Sirocco Classic and works well for me though as mentioned the TV view is just gimmick.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by trowel View Post
    Your right, I have the same scope on my Sirocco Classic and works well for me though as mentioned the TV view is just gimmick.
    Mine sat on top of a Sirocco Grand Prix until this year when I decided to give the old girl a run out for HFT. For good or ill I tend to prefer a mil-dot ret for that lark so it was replaced.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!