Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Tasco Scope

I believe TV view was a Weaver idea with a TV shaped front bell. It allowed a lower mount whilst maintaining the light of a larger objective. No it wasn't any quicker to shoot with as claimed. Cheaper masking copies did nothing but hide poor edge definition of lesser glass. It was fashion. Your scope if an 80's is a good one; better than a whole lot of cheaper modern stuff.
    6x40 is the biz for a .22 out to 35 meters. You don't need more in the field.

As new then probably worth £40-50. Almost new then £25. Rough £5.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I believe TV view was a Weaver idea with a TV shaped front bell. It allowed a lower mount whilst maintaining the light of a larger objective. No it wasn't any quicker to shoot with as claimed. Cheaper masking copies did nothing but hide poor edge definition of lesser glass. It was fashion. Your scope if an 80's is a good one; better than a whole lot of cheaper modern stuff.
    6x40 is the biz for a .22 out to 35 meters. You don't need more in the field.

As new then probably worth £40-50. Almost new then £25. Rough £5.
    hi, did weaver make a little green/black rubber armoured scope back in the 80's?...think they were 2x20 or something like that? and needed a special mount too as i remember?

Don't know if weaver did a rubber armored scope; though some Jap company did for several branded names. They came with integral mounts and were nothing special. Weaver had some scopes made in Japan as did nearly every one depending on the range/price for the target market. Pre 1980, scopes were not the norm. Game was shot at much closer ranges where open sights worked. The glass in scopes was expensive up until there was a technological laser revolution in the optics trade. Its the reason cheap scopes are so cheap today and then they get expensive. Best glass is hugely expensive compared to average glass.

Optima and better Tasco; even Niko Sterling and Rhino all made excellent scopes at the beginning, 1980, but quality went down once the competition started and price ruled. My early 1980's Tasco, Optima, a Rhino and early Nikko Sterling stand up well compared to some £150 plus scopes made today.

The first WTC Simmons were very good for the money and American made, competing with Leupold's lower end. Not sure if they are quite as good now?? Edger Brothers brought out a Jap branded range which were very good a few years back. My pet scope now is the Zeiss Conquest range which for the price (£300 plus) are great. There are some other good ones out there but a whole lot are not.

KISS works with scopes. I had a friends son over to show me his new set up and to return a BSA Cadet that he has used all summer. His father had given his old, last years, all swinging and dancing cheap (Hawk type) scope. He couldn't see out of it or get it to work on a rabbit stopper. An old battered 4x32 with pin sharp optics of mine later and he was Davy Crocket again.

If you are going to scientifically shoot click click then high power, high cost, all the toys are the way to go. If not KISS, loads of practice and keep the range short. I have a 6x44 Zeiss on my subsonic rimfire and shoot as far as the conditions allow; rabbit head shots all the way.

If your Tasco is in good nick I'll find a use for it.

Muskett,
    your knowledge astounds me! For me this is what this site is all about, learning from others with more knowledge! As I said I have a friend who uses only 4X40 and is amazingly good! As for the scope i may attach it to my mext purchase, hopefully a Gamo shadow sport, years apart yet I am sure that they will get on just great!

thanks for the great info, muskett

reason i asked about the little rubber armoured scope is that a mate had one years ago, seem to remember that it was a good little scope. if it wasn't a weaver then it was possibly a redfield or redline? does that name ring any bells? i'm sure it was american at any rate.
    Last edited by DCL_dave; 11-02-2008 at 07:29 AM.