Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FT-X F1 10-40x50

FT-X F1 10-40x50

A small review on this scope as I have currently got one and want to view my thoughts on it so far and I will update as time goes by.

Inital Impressions
    A nice sturdy black box with everything included and I do mean everything. Opening the box you see the scope, sunshade, front and rear flip covers, a rear enhancer, large sidewheel and a small white box. Inside this box are a set of double screw mounts, allen key and a phillips screwdriver.

The Scope
    Setting the scope to 10x and looking through it you see the mildot crosshair which finishes with the thicker stadia. In theory can give you 10 points of reference in elevation.

Parralax - It maybe because its new but I found it to be a bit stiff to turn marking go upto 100yds which is more than required for most airgun ranges. Putting on the large sidewheel is just a case of placing the inner clamp ring onto the scope and then gently tightening down with the supplied screwdriver. Large sidewheel has no markings on it so these can be added by the owner and also made the turning a bit easier. Once set up it comes into focus quickly and the results repeatable in bright and overcast conditions. Not tried it on dark targets in dark places yet.

Turrets - Nice and positive when turning them but stiff enough so that they can not be knocked round easily. Turrents also have a screw that holds them down so the number markings can be set for zero and then adjusted from there. It might be possible for someone with an engineering background to make an oversized version for the top turrent for those that do FT which would give a bit more space to write own marks on it.

Mounts - A double screw set with one having a hole for an arrestor pin. Look similar to most double screw mounts that can be got from sportsmatch, RWS or Bisley.

Sunshade, enhancer and covers - Sunshade is about 100mm long and does the job well. Lense flare kept to a minimum apart from when close to looking toward the sun (not directly but about 25 degs or so off when rangefinding for FT) which just about all scopes do. The Enhancer has a nice bellow at the end which allows a but of flexibility to it, however as a spectacle wearer I found it was to long even when at its shortest point. Covers have a positive closure to them and the front one has the FT-X logo at the front.

In use
    I fitted the above scope to the mounts after confirming that they were centred on the turrets. After fitting the assembly to my rifle I found the first problem not enough elevation. I believe that this is the rifle not the scope as the scope I taken off had packing at the back. To obtain the correct zeroing I am after (45yd at optical centre) it looks like I will need to put about 4 or 5 shims in place. As a consequence of that I have order a set of the ATP61 mounts and try after they arrive.

Impressions
    The first impressions are that this scope is an ideal starter for those that what to do FT but are on a budget. I believe that it is more than capable and could be the ideal backup scope for some. One of its advantages is that everything you need comes with it which in my opinion makes it value for money.
    infensus procul vox locus procul nefas vicis
    I aimed at the right place at the wrong time.

nice review andy...

roughly how much are these?

have you been able to determine the gap at 50-55 yet?

I also recently bought one of these scopes, and just to add to Andy's comments, the depth of view on 10x is very good, which (hopefully) makes this a passable HFT scope as well as for FT

I'm going to the range this afternoon to do the various 'set up' and ranging processes, so I should be able to add more once that's done.

And to answer Rob's question, I paid about £180 (inc P&P) for mine from http://www.ftxtarget.com/products.php

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    nice review andy...

As its not truely set up I could not really say, but if the markings are anything to go by the gap between 50-55yds would be around 5mm on the large wheel. I am really waiting till after the Winter League Rd 6 at Newbury this weekend is finished Rob before giving it a proper going over session.

I think I will be outside the top 32 as not had a good Winter season, so I may have a month or so to get it all sorted for GP1.

Price is £175 plus postage from the website in previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by andyiow View Post

I think I will be outside the top 32 as not had a good Winter season, so I may have a month or so to get it all sorted for GP1.
    not so sure...theres 30 people above you that wont be able to do the 5 rounds ...

Smithies Barnsley South Yorkshire (known as Tarn)
    As its not truely set up I could not really say, but if the markings are anything to go by the gap between 50-55yds would be around 5mm on the large wheel. I am really waiting till after the Winter League Rd 6 at Newbury this weekend is finished Rob before giving it a proper going over session.

Price is £175 plus postage from the website in previous post.
    Hi Andy
    Who makes these Scopes for you?

Ridge Walker, If you look on Dunk1302 post the website link is on there. Gives you all the details etc required.

Rob, a quick look at the results and you are right I squeeze in right near the bottom at about 30th. So it looks like there will be at least 2 of us there.
    Last edited by andyiow; 14-02-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk1302 View Post

I'm going to the range this afternoon to do the various 'set up' and ranging processes, so I should be able to add more once that's done.

Dunk
    Well, my plans went down the toilet - got to the range to find it blanketted under thick fog (even though it was clear at home).

Visibility was 30 yards max. - looks like I'll have to wait a little longer
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

hi been using one of these scopes for a week and for the money they are great and seem well built. also the company you get them from are good.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    nice review andy...

Sorry Rob, I may be in a grumpy mood, but this isn't really a review, it just says what you get in the box, see what I said about "Fire bunny's" so called "review."

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    Sorry Rob, I may be in a grumpy mood, but this isn't really a review, it just says what you get in the box, see what I said about "Fire bunny's" so called "review."

Gus
    Gus,

It is only a small review as I have not been able to truely try it out . Its is purely my opinions at the moment. Once I get the new mounts, I can then give a much more in depth report.

I did this as I could not find anything on the web apart from the supplies site and thought that others, who might be looking for the same sort of info, might be interested.

Gus,

It is only a small review as I have not been able to truely try it out . Its is purely my opinions at the moment. Once I get the new mounts, I can then give a much more in depth report.

I did this as I could not find anything on the web apart from the supplies site and thought that others, who might be looking for the same sort of info, might be interested.
    Nothing personal.. As I said, I was in a grumpy mood, and I'd just read a "review" that was absolute drivel..!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Thats OK Gus, going by the day I have had since the reply I put I am looking forward to a HOT curry and a few beers (Cobra). Roll on tomorrow as I am working in a small room with a few other lads from work .

Re: Curry Review

Thats OK Gus, going by the day I have had since the reply I put I am looking forward to a HOT curry and a few beers (Cobra). Roll on tomorrow as I am working in a small room with a few other lads from work .

Hi Andy

Looking forward in reading that review "Andy & the Magic Curry"

Regards

Friday
    Last edited by Friday; 20-02-2008 at 10:05 PM.
    MyRifles -Steyr LG110 .177cal - Sightron SIII 10-50x60-

Well, Friday, if this morning wakeup trumpet was anything to go by then chemical warfare is on the agenda . The rumblings are still abound so will be very bad I think.