Thread: Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Just curious as to how many UK shooters shoot a BP pistol, only because of legal restrictions on cartridge pistols: vs. how many would own and shoot one, even if they could get a cartridge pistol.

For example: I'm in the US, can get a cartridge pistol, but still love air pistols because of their low noise, recoil, and adaptability to back yard shooting. I DON'T (yet) shoot BP, because they have the disadvantages of cartridge: and then some!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Oh interesting one, that. I got into BP shooting because I was damned if I would let the government spoil it all and figured I might as well use it whilst I can. But I think now, even if there were cartridge pistol shooting, although I would major on that, I'd undoubtedly keep my BP stuff just for variety.

In fact, we plan to emigrate to Canada in a few more years and for me, the primary aim (apart from some SPACE) is so I can shoot handguns.
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

I'd certainly keep my black powder revolver - its fun to shoot and lot less clinical than the cartridge revolvers I used to own.

When I take my friends shooting on an open day its the black powder guns they want to try - nice big boom and a big cloud of smoke Of course they don't get to spend an hour cleaning each one afterwards...

I tried BP after the handgun ban but once the novelty had worn off gave up and now only shoot air pistols, and only then when the weather's too bad to go out with something else.

If the ban were repealed though, I'd go back to pistol shooting at once. Imagine!

I guess my attitudes are also influenced by the fact that I always preferred automatics to revolvers - to the extent that, had they only banned the former, I might still have given up!

I don't yet feel like emigrating, or at least, not every day, but if I ever did up-stumps and move overseas, getting back to pistol shooting would certainly be one of the major plus points.

I'd keep my hand cannon purely because I want to master it and its a big grin on the firing line. For myself a .22 semi such as a Ruger Mk2 would be the ideal, light weight low recoil and adequate for 25m targets.

Airpistol is good at 6m or 10m but can be a struggle out to 25 or 50m.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

I would still keep my two but I doubt they'd get much use if I could get a cartrigde pistol (I reckon I could hit the target with a cartrigde pistol) I've got a slot for a LBR in 44 and reckon they'll get even less use when I finally get one.

Haddington...via Mackemland, born in Yorkshire
    Shot (but never owned) quite a few BP revolvers prior to the ban

Now have a .36 which I love to shoot & have fun with...

YES - I'd still use them though, as well as getting a few modern breechloaders of whatever type, I'd also invest in a repro cartridge conversion cylinder to add to the versatility of the BP design...

Besides - the 1861 is too CUTE to not shoot
    .22 BRNO Mod 2 & 511, .22 SGC V-22, .223 (Armalon), .30-06 M1903A4 & Win 70, .36 Colt Navy 1861, .45 Win 94, .455 New Service. 410 Webley b/a, 12ga: Ithaca 37DSPS & FN A5 & Rem 870 & Win 1897, 10ga "Greylag"

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    I'd also invest in a repro cartridge conversion cylinder to add to the versatility of the BP design...
    I have one for my Uberti Remington 1858.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Is that rubbing our noses in it Jim?
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Is that rubbing our noses in it Jim?
    If so, it's not meant to, Smokeless. My apologies.

Jim

My fault Jim I should have stuck a smiley at the end.

Not too hot with this forum posting malarky, I need to practice and post more often.

I really appreciate the posts from our American friends on this and other forums. It highlights what we are missing and what we all need to fight for.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    If so, it's not meant to, Smokeless. My apologies.

Jim
    Hi Jim, I heard that the authorities undertook wholesale confiscation of firearms in the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans. Is this correct, and if so what was the outcome of it all?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.