Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Just curious as to how many UK shooters shoot a BP pistol, only because of legal restrictions on cartridge pistols: vs. how many would own and shoot one, even if they could get a cartridge pistol.

For example: I'm in the US, can get a cartridge pistol, but still love air pistols because of their low noise, recoil, and adaptability to back yard shooting. I DON'T (yet) shoot BP, because they have the disadvantages of cartridge: and then some!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Oh interesting one, that. I got into BP shooting because I was damned if I would let the government spoil it all and figured I might as well use it whilst I can. But I think now, even if there were cartridge pistol shooting, although I would major on that, I'd undoubtedly keep my BP stuff just for variety.

In fact, we plan to emigrate to Canada in a few more years and for me, the primary aim (apart from some SPACE) is so I can shoot handguns.
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

I'd certainly keep my black powder revolver - its fun to shoot and lot less clinical than the cartridge revolvers I used to own.

When I take my friends shooting on an open day its the black powder guns they want to try - nice big boom and a big cloud of smoke Of course they don't get to spend an hour cleaning each one afterwards...

I tried BP after the handgun ban but once the novelty had worn off gave up and now only shoot air pistols, and only then when the weather's too bad to go out with something else.

If the ban were repealed though, I'd go back to pistol shooting at once. Imagine!

I guess my attitudes are also influenced by the fact that I always preferred automatics to revolvers - to the extent that, had they only banned the former, I might still have given up!

I don't yet feel like emigrating, or at least, not every day, but if I ever did up-stumps and move overseas, getting back to pistol shooting would certainly be one of the major plus points.

I'd keep my hand cannon purely because I want to master it and its a big grin on the firing line. For myself a .22 semi such as a Ruger Mk2 would be the ideal, light weight low recoil and adequate for 25m targets.

Airpistol is good at 6m or 10m but can be a struggle out to 25 or 50m.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

I would still keep my two but I doubt they'd get much use if I could get a cartrigde pistol (I reckon I could hit the target with a cartrigde pistol) I've got a slot for a LBR in 44 and reckon they'll get even less use when I finally get one.

I'm tempted by a .357 LBR, could probably still hit paper with it. The .44 is a lot of gun, but to control the beast takes more of a body than I have got,
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Softer loads?

But Smokeless, if you used .44 Specials, or soft reloads, it would probably be tamer to shoot than your big muzzleloader, don't you think?

Of course, by definition, it's easy to tailor the loads for a muzzleloader!

Cheers,

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Navy Colts

Something about those Navy Colts that catches my eye.

Jim

I light load my Rogers Jim, and can control it well enough for single handed shooting. I have fired a Taurus in 44mag and after a couple of loads it really tells on the wrist. I'm sure that younger fitter people can master it but not me.
    I'm a frail old man which is another reason why I want the pistols back in our clubs, them long arms are too dang heavy especially when you have to haul them back and forth to the club.

I dont like the colts for target because of the sighting over the V cut in the top of the hammer.

Talking stop using BP pistols

to be honest Jim, No, its cheap and fun, but if they ever allowed us cartridge pistols again I would buy one, either a 1911 and or a 357 revolver, you dont know how lucky you are, they banned handguns here but they have not banned murder, hand gun crime is rocketing yet they are making it difficult to buy airguns and airsoft, just does not make sense, but there again what goverment does as long as they get there perks and huge expenses, sorry about the ramble Jim, keep your right to bear arms, cheers from the UK, tezz

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    I'm tempted by a .357 LBR, could probably still hit paper with it. The .44 is a lot of gun, but to control the beast takes more of a body than I have got,
    I went for .44 as I've got a Marlin 1894SS in 44mag so it seemed easier than messing about reloading two different cartrigdes. The load I use in my Marlin is 6.6grs of bulleyes which is a real nice soft load and thats what I'll most likely use in the LBR WHEN she lets me buy it
    Last edited by moonraker; 07-03-2008 at 06:50 PM.

[QUOTE=moonraker; The load I use in my Marlin is 6.6grs of bulleyes which is a real nice soft load and thats what I'll most likely use in the LBR WHEN she lets me buy it[/QUOTE]

Well i followed your advise when i asked for a .44 target load and am well pleased,i actually use a little less than the 6.6 you use.But the results so far have been pretty good.

b/p v nitro

Simple, do both. Although i have a .357 lbr which i shoot in postal comps i also have a .44 Rogers and Spencer and a .44 lepage muzzle loaded pistol.
    The Taurus lbr for me is more accurate than the black powder revolver probably due to the length of barrel, wrist brace and sights. Its also more practical in that all the loading ect is done at home so you get on range and just shoot. The Lepage is probably just as accurate as the lbr with its set trigger and good sight picture, but being a single shot muzzle loader its rate of fire is much slower. The R+S is my favourite and cant think of anything that i would replace it with. Easy to load, cheap to run, more accurate than i am and just plain old fun to use.
    BUT.. If i could have a .357/44 with 6" barrel and no wrist brace would i still shoot charcoal burners.. Yep! Just more fun to shoot.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Yes

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes,
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch