Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom-stick View Post
    EXACTLY!!

Friggin daft isn't it, and even pistol calibres like .22, .357 and .44 generate more MV and ftlbs out of 12" barrel than they ever did from a 4" or 6" barrel.

FTR, I'd still use my front stuffers, my ROA is probably my most accurate pistol and my Freedom Arms Mini revolver is just so dam cute it would rude not too
    I have a cartridge version. A neat little pistol, but a bugger to try to hit anything with!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    I'd also invest in a repro cartridge conversion cylinder to add to the versatility of the BP design...
    I have one for my Uberti Remington 1858.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Is that rubbing our noses in it Jim?
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Is that rubbing our noses in it Jim?
    If so, it's not meant to, Smokeless. My apologies.

Jim

My fault Jim I should have stuck a smiley at the end.

Not too hot with this forum posting malarky, I need to practice and post more often.

I really appreciate the posts from our American friends on this and other forums. It highlights what we are missing and what we all need to fight for.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thanks. Smokeless.

I do often sense from my UK friends that my mentioning cartridge pistols isn't a good idea.

In any case...yes, you do need to post more often!

Jim

What about Allan Westlakes conversion of the Taurus to a .357 muzzle loader with 5 inch barrel its quite expensive but has a modern look to it....

Whats everyones thoughts on these, there is a good write up in Target Shooter this month.

Its supposed to shoot and handle just like the real thing

Simon

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    If so, it's not meant to, Smokeless. My apologies.

Jim
    Hi Jim, I heard that the authorities undertook wholesale confiscation of firearms in the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans. Is this correct, and if so what was the outcome of it all?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Oh and just out of sheer jealousy; I hope it made your pistols rusty
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Hi Jim, I heard that the authorities undertook wholesale confiscation of firearms in the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans. Is this correct, and if so what was the outcome of it all?
    I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know all the details on this, Harry: I'm not sure how it all worked out in the end.

First of all, the New Orleans Police Department has a VERY bad reputation for corruption: VERY bad! Cases in the news involving them over the past several years have included;

- a couple of rapes committed by on-duty officers:

- an off-duty officer working as a security guard at a restaurant who also worked as an accomplice to a holdup at the same restaurant, and shot and killed the restaurant owners:

- a ring of officers working as enforcers for a local drug gang:

- an officer who contracted with a drug dealer to murder someone who had testified against him in a police brutality trial...

...With that sort of track record, we tend not to put much trust in our men in blue! (Or women either: the officer in the restaurant hold-up was female).

My wife and I were here for Katrina from the time it arrived Sunday night, until the following Saturday. The floodwaters stopped about a mille away from our house, and we are grateful that we have no personal horror stories to tell. However, we learned later that beginning the next week, the police began practically forcing everyone to leave the city.

I DO know that police confiscated guns from many law-abiding people, which they had no right to do. We attended an event later, sponsored by the NRA, where we watched a video tape of several NOPD officers wrestling a gun away from an old woman. She had not threated anyone with the pistol, nor was it against the law for her to own it.

The police had gone to her house, ostensibly to see if she was OK, and to urge her to evacuate. She told them that her house hadn't flooded, that she had plenty of drinking water and canned food - and her Dad's old revolver for protection - and had no intentions of leaving.

When she showed them the revolver, they attacked her to get it away from her. I believe that they broke her wrist in the process of prying it loose. All of this was caught on videotape!

The NRA launched a lawsuit to get all confiscated guns returned. As I recall, the city at first stated that they no longer had the guns: then admitted that they did. I believe that they have been returned - at least, for the most part - to their rightful ownere: but let me check on that, because you've whetted my curiousity!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Oh and just out of sheer jealousy; I hope it made your pistols rusty
    No, they all stayed dry.

Jim