Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
    Well i followed your advise when i asked for a .44 target load and am well pleased,i actually use a little less than the 6.6 you use.But the results so far have been pretty good.
    I'm glad to be of service, to be honest I've been thinking of dropping the powder load a bit (to save on powder)

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    to be honest I've been thinking of dropping the powder load a bit (to save on powder)
    A man after my own miserly heart!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thumbs up BP pistols

went down to the range Sunday, shot 50 rounds .36 BP MAGIC, and I wasn`t the only one shooting BP, Cheers Tezz

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Something about those Navy Colts that catches my eye.

Jim
    Agreed! ... here is a pic of mine just after a full strip down and clean

I would still shoot BP ... my Dragoon has just arrived at Kranks and I can't wait to make some smoke!
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    I'm tempted by a .357 LBR, could probably still hit paper with it. The .44 is a lot of gun, but to control the beast takes more of a body than I have got,

I tried a .357 LBR from a fellow shooter at the range the other day and tried to be a ‘cool dude’ and shoot it one handed with the other in my pocket – big mistake!!! … Really hurt my wrist.

Shot it two handed after that which was better and it was ‘on the money’ at 25 yards!
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

I have a .357 LBR and a .36 rem and a .44 rem black powder - I love them all but to me loading 2 boxes of .357 for a nights fun is more of a drag than loading / shooting and cleaning the BP pistols - am I weird ??

We had a open night not so long back and I took down the .44 BP - one guy jumped so far out of his skin when he let it off I nearly wet myself ... You can't beat them....

Regards

Corrie

Just back from the club, newbie night, rushed off my feet looking after them. Did manage one go on the firing line, my choice .44 bp revolver.

Crud grouping but karma level set up for the week ahead.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Smile Good on you, Smokeless!

Or we say in the States, good for you! Both for helping the newbies, and for getting yourself "set" to do some serious damage to those targets, next time! Let us know how you did!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Issue resolved!

You mates have answered my question: shooting those ML's must be just too much fun to replace them with anything as prosaic as a smokeless cartridge pistol!

Jim

Well said Jim.

It is a matter of personal likes. M/L is not everyones cup of tea.
    Its a love it or hate it thing, a bit like marmite (thats gone right over Jim's head).

But as you like your cannons Jim I'm sure you would like their little brother.

A boom rather than a bang, smoke instead of none, a big grin instead of a smug "I hit the paper".
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

You're right!

You're right, SC. Much of the shooting world has gotten too technical and high-precision to be really fun.

You mentioned BP cannon: yes, I've fired BP pistols and muskets, just a couple of times: and been around the firing of them, on a number of occasions: but the roar and smoke of that six-pounder cannon, even with a puny 8 or 12 ounce charge...well, it's a rush, for sure!

Of course, we aren't actually firing any projectiles from the cannon, and that's where the smaller BP pieces interest me. I like to HIT something when I shoot: even if only occasionally!

As far as marmite: you're right again, there! I've hear it mentioned before on the BBS: but what IS it?

Jim

She's pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Calibre44 View Post
    Agreed! ... here is a pic of mine just after a full strip down and clean

I would still shoot BP ... my Dragoon has just arrived at Kranks and I can't wait to make some smoke!

As the Irish say: "Sure, and 'tis a beauty!"

Jim

Marmite is a sort of yeast extract.

It was a by product of the brewing industry. Sort of the scum you get on top as beer brews.

Yeast is good for you, so some bright spark decided to market the stuff.

It has a strong taste, a taste that you either love or hate.

Thinly spread on bread and butter or toast.

You're over here soon so perhaps you should put it on your things to do list .