Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

I'd want / I want one!

I looked at the blog, though just briefly. If you're legally prohibited from owning a cartridge revolver or auto pistol, this is not at all a bad substitute, I think. It's not an air pistol, and it's not blackpowder, so you don't have to wait for the smoke to clear between shots.

I didn't catch the cost from the video. (?)

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I've seen Ian shooting that one Jim. Heres managing 3" grouping at 25m which is about on par with his other stuff over iron sights.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by ALLAN114 View Post
    Before the ban I used to shoot both and ended up with a 6 inch 686 S&W revolver and a single shot flintlock and percussion BP pistols. I found the single shot a bit easier t get on with. I used to have a Rogers & Spencer revoler but I had trouble with the caps coming off because of recoil and then it chain fired despite caking it in grease. I used to end up covered in muck as well compared to the cleaner single shot machines.

Just my observations.

Allan
    Do you shoot these muzzleloaders in competitions, Allan? What do they call them: Cominazzo (flint) and Kruchenreuter (or something like that) with the percussion?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    I've seen Ian shooting that one Jim. Heres managing 3" grouping at 25m which is about on par with his other stuff over iron sights.
    Good hearing from you, SC!

Yes, unless the cost is prohibitive...it seems a near ideal choice under the circumstances: a powder burner, a NITRO powder burner, 6 shots, not too noisy, low recoil, super accurate: other than the work involved in reloading, which really doesn't seem worse than a percussion revolver, and the need to manually recock it for each shot: I'm surprised they aren't a hot seller in the UK.

Jim

If you can find one, a used example is I'd reckon in the 850 ballpark. But as smokeless said, 3 inches at 35 yards, I'd want a lot more for the money!My .36 Uberti Navy will do that and it cost 70 quid! And the Rogers & Spencer is also on par for a couple of hundred quid!

That being said, none of the alternatives to "proper" handguns have really taken off. The fact is, some of this stuff is just a poor second. Long barrel revolvers by Taurus and Ruger will sub 2" with work and the right load and the long barreled Browning Buckmark is a target pistol. But with a 12" barrel and an steel rod over hang to take the length to 24", it's not the same as slamming a mag into a 1911, racking the slide and storming "El Presidente"!

In fact Morini made a dedicated .22lr free pistol to conform to UIT, but again at 1200 pound plus, they obviously wouldn't get many takers for such a dedicated piece of kit.

I said Ian is doing 3" groups and that is par for him with his other stuff over iron sights. Hes only had it a couple of weeks but it is very popular down the club and he generously allows other to use it, something he cant do with his Taurus or Buckmark.

My best with cap n ball is 4" but my eyes only allow 3" over iron so the Patriot is not doing too bad.

They've stop production of the Patriot with intention to bring it out later in .38. The .32 is a bit feeble, breech pressures have to be kept down with smaller calibers, it only uses one grain of Bullseye.

I think people are reluctant to buy LBP LBR or the Patriot in case the Home Office get shirty about them. Its a lot of money that could be lost as they say there would be no compensation if they decide to disallow ownership.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

I understand that there is a clause regarding any future legislation against the long barreled revolvers and pistols, but why with the Patriot? I thought as far as classification was concerned, it's a bog standard M/l pistol?

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

If only

If they repealed the handgun ban tomorrow I'd be back on cartridge pistols in a heartbeat. When the ban came along I had a smallish collection of firearms with which I could be lethal at about 50yds and dangerous to probably a couple of hundred given the capabilities of the average handgun cartridge. I now have a safe full of firearms that I can be lethal with at close to a mile and dangerous with at even longer range. If the ban were repealed there's no way I'd get rid of the rifle collection I now have, but I would restart my pistol collection.
    Lost:
    Dan Wesson 357 pistol pack with 2.5", 4", 6" + 8" brls,
    4" P08,
    Browning GP35,
    Beretta M1934,
    Zastava .32ACP,
    Mauser C96 (red 9)
    Gained
    LE SMLE MkIII*,
    LE SMLE MkV,
    LE No4 Mk1/2
    LE No5 Mk1
    LE L39
    Rem P14
    Sauer 202
    BSA Sportsman 15
    MH MkII
    .32 H&H rook rifle
    But I'm now much less of a threat to society because my mind isn't being poisoned by proximity to pistols.
    I never took up BP as it would only ever have been a substitute for what I had to give up. I saw rifles as a whole new venture.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Haddington...via Mackemland, born in Yorkshire
    Shot (but never owned) quite a few BP revolvers prior to the ban

Now have a .36 which I love to shoot & have fun with...

YES - I'd still use them though, as well as getting a few modern breechloaders of whatever type, I'd also invest in a repro cartridge conversion cylinder to add to the versatility of the BP design...

Besides - the 1861 is too CUTE to not shoot
    .22 BRNO Mod 2 & 511, .22 SGC V-22, .223 (Armalon), .30-06 M1903A4 & Win 70, .36 Colt Navy 1861, .45 Win 94, .455 New Service. 410 Webley b/a, 12ga: Ithaca 37DSPS & FN A5 & Rem 870 & Win 1897, 10ga "Greylag"

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    When the ban came along I had a smallish collection of firearms with which I could be lethal at about 50yds and dangerous to probably a couple of hundred given the capabilities of the average handgun cartridge. I now have a safe full of firearms that I can be lethal with at close to a mile and dangerous with at even longer range. If the ban were repealed there's no way I'd get rid of the rifle collection I now have, but I would restart my pistol collection.
    But I'm now much less of a threat to society because my mind isn't being poisoned by proximity to pistols.
    I never took up BP as it would only ever have been a substitute for what I had to give up. I saw rifles as a whole new venture.
    I could say that was funny, if it weren't so sad, Harry.

It looks as though you found a good way to compensate, though.

Jim

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Ooooh yes, there's nothing quite like working up a sweat trying to achieve 20 rds a minute with a SMLE. Makes you grin..A lot.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Croydon, Surrey, England, Earth, The Milky Way...
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    When the ban came along I had a smallish collection of firearms with which I could be lethal at about 50yds and dangerous to probably a couple of hundred given the capabilities of the average handgun cartridge. I now have a safe full of firearms that I can be lethal with at close to a mile and dangerous with at even longer range.
    EXACTLY!!

Friggin daft isn't it, and even pistol calibres like .22, .357 and .44 generate more MV and ftlbs out of 12" barrel than they ever did from a 4" or 6" barrel.

FTR, I'd still use my front stuffers, my ROA is probably my most accurate pistol and my Freedom Arms Mini revolver is just so dam cute it would rude not too
    Don’t knock vegetarians…. Some of my best meals have been vegetarians…

I don't shoot B.P. pistols. But I do shoot B.P. Rifles, as well as shooting several Nitro Rifles and Shotguns. I am seriously considering a B.P. Shotgun.

So I suppose that if I had shot Pistols, and now shot B.P. Pistols and a ban was lifted. I would still shoot B.P. Pistols. Reason being? I like Black Powder.
    Robin

Talking

Cartridge guns (and not just pistols) and muzzleloaders = Blondes and brunettes.

What's to dislike in either case?

Good hunting, gentlemen!
    The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

When the ban came along I had a smallish collection of firearms with which I could be lethal at about 50yds and dangerous to probably a couple of hundred given the capabilities of the average handgun cartridge. I now have a safe full of firearms that I can be lethal with at close to a mile and dangerous with at even longer range. If the ban were repealed there's no way I'd get rid of the rifle collection I now have, but I would restart my pistol collection.
    I never took up BP as it would only ever have been a substitute for what I had to give up. I saw rifles as a whole new venture

Lethal?? Interesting turn of phrase. Did that go down on the application as reason to own??