Thread: "Nitro cylinder for BP..." : interesting Thread!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

"Nitro cylinder for BP..." : interesting Thread!

Check that one out mates: "Nitro Cylinder for BP" thread, in our Forum's Rimfire / Centerfire / Shotguns forum. Interesting read, about a type of UK-legal nitro pistol! Most current posts are from today.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Why ?

Someone in our club has one and I've had a go on it, all the faff and none of the fun. It's a half way house solution with all the draw backs and none of the advantages, can't see the point.

Just for the hell of it

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    Someone in our club has one and I've had a go on it, all the faff and none of the fun. It's a half way house solution with all the draw backs and none of the advantages, can't see the point.
    Some UK shooters may think there's no legal way to own a functioning nitro pistol of any sort, other than the historical pieces and the LBRs. I thought that.

I agree with your point, though: I doubt that I would want one, they just seem more trouble than they are worth.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

You can shoot them at an indoor range that cant handle black powder
    No need for extra black powder certificates
    Easier to clean the gun
    Different shooting experence
    More suited to target work (?)
    Close to the feel of modern cartrige pistols

That seems a reasonable number of pro's to me, what are the cons?
    Support All Shooting Sports!

Take just along if not longer to load, have to remove cylinder and use special rig to load. Not that easy to clean, if you use Triple 7 in a black powder gun you can clean it with hot water not chemicals and you don't need another certificate to use it. I didn't see any great improvement in accuracy with it.

I think the most telling is I've seen it once at the range while his other muzzle loading pistols I see all the time.

These are good points

Quote Originally Posted by joecuba View Post
    You can shoot them at an indoor range that cant handle black powder
    No need for extra black powder certificates
    Easier to clean the gun
    Different shooting experence
    More suited to target work (?)
    Close to the feel of modern cartrige pistols

That seems a reasonable number of pro's to me, what are the cons?
    These are good points here, mate.

Jim

These too

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    Take just along if not longer to load, have to remove cylinder and use special rig to load. Not that easy to clean, if you use Triple 7 in a black powder gun you can clean it with hot water not chemicals and you don't need another certificate to use it. I didn't see any great improvement in accuracy with it.

I think the most telling is I've seen it once at the range while his other muzzle loading pistols I see all the time.
    These are also good points!

Jim