Thread: Advice needed: Rifle for 10m and LSR?

Question Advice needed: Rifle for 10m and LSR?

Hi all,

I would like some advice in choosing a rifle. I’m interested in shooting 10m target rifle and LSR at 20 yards.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight rifle that would be suitable for both? (so that I can shoot one discipline for a month or two and then switch back to the other.)

I had looked at the Air Arms S200 but have read that 12ftlbs is too high for 10m, I know they offer a 5-6ftlb target option but don’t know if this would be sufficient to shoot paper targets reliably at 20 yards?

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

Luke

Pistol is shot at 20 yards with <=6ft/lbs so you should be ok. I wouldn't use flat heads for LSR as not as great balistically past 10M (at least that is what I read in an air rifle mag once). But if you are going to have to rezero between distances no reason you can't change pellets too.

Is there a rule stopping 12ft/lbs for 10M?

Any 10m target rifle that's up to job should be OK for 20 yards indoors or outdoors in moderate wind conditions. A FWB 300s rifle would be up to the job, as would a number of other springers in it's class and the same also goes for PCP 10m target rifles. A member at our club put diopter sights on a HW100k scope rail a tunnel foresight on a barrel shroud to try 10m. What we didn't do was turn the power down but it worked well. I have an LP50 pistol that will easily group within the 10 ring of a 10m ISSF pistol target at 20 yards from a bench-rest and that's set at 5.5 foot pounds.

Power is not so much the issue, it's the quality of engineering and inherent accuracy of the gun.

Then you've got to do your bit

Hope whatever you try works well for you.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for the advice, Bullbarrell and Mick.

Both of your posts re-assure me greatly that 5.5ftlbs is likely going to be more than accurate enough at 20 yards for me at this stage - I expect it will be a lot of practice before the rifle holds me back from improvement!

As to Bullbarrells question about 12ft/lbs being disallowed at 10metres - I haven't seen anything on this either way other than the odd post saying some clubs don't like to inflict shots of that power on their targets that where designed for lower powered guns - If anyone has a definitive answer that would be great.

Any other comments are still very welcome.

You'll struggle to shoot a springer in LSR but couldn't tell you what the exact weight limit is.

You have two issues that need addressing:

a. The 4.5kg weight limit (including scope and glove) for LSR
    b. the 500g minimum trigger weight for LSR

(NSRA Rules 8.3.3.1-2)

Most of the standard 10m rifles weigh around 4.2-4.4kg and that would leave you pretty tight for the scope and glove. 10m trigger weights are typically below 100g, so trying to shoot with a 500g trigger is a significant disadvantage. Now you could of course adjust the trigger for different disciplines and take bits off to lighten the rifle for LSR. Clearly neither would be satisfactory. To try to use a single rifle for both disciplines could end up like trying to play football with a rugby ball.

Rutty

Went down this road last week mainly with the SLR for my daughter, all the chaps at our club use scopes and not a dioptre and all of our postal comps only allow .22.
    The rugby ball analogy made me smile!!! so two dedicated rifles.

good luck, and feed back how it pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    all of our postal comps only allow .22.
    NSRA rules for LSR say any calibre UP TO .22/5.56mm? Might be worth getting someone to check the rules

Unless its a special postal league where they set their own rules.