Thread: Rilfe I.D please

Rilfe I.D please

My dads mate found this is his shed when he moved to a new house, just wondering what it is and perhaps a rough estimation on the value. its in fairly poor condition with rust and chips to the stock. its in .22 and the only bit of writing on it are sone numbers: S19315. ive got some pics. its doing about 7.7ftp. think it would be any good for ratting? it is fairly accurate at 15yards with open sights.
    Any help would be great
    thanks adam

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    I'm pretty sure it's a BSA, Ther'es a few similar models but possibly a Model D or a lincoln jefferys? they're quite collectable and appears to be in good order for it's age.

It should be ok for ratting at close quarters but you'd be better off getting something a little shorter and more modern.

The collectors will be all over this post soon with some deffinate answers, I'm just begining to start my collecting career and know not a lot about these things?

ATB, PAUL ps nice find

on google it says 1904 model d bsa so your on the money pal by looks of it
    master of mischief

cheers any idea on price?

jonballs is offline born to shoot, shoot to hunt, hunt to eat
    bsa standard is my opinion around 1930`s
    cheers
    jon
    jon barber

touch wood i`ve never had a bad sale on the bbs

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    It looks like a BSA standard from the late 1930's. It is a fine rifle, strip & clean it and relube it properly and it will out shoot most new rifles today.
    It should run close to the legal limit with ease, enjoy it!

appears to be a 1924 bsa standard model value wise by what I see £100 to £130 .

Was at a shop today and he showed me one virtually identical to this which he had just got in. Only difference immediately obvious is that his one had "BSA" in the grip checkering.

Really solid and heavy.

Yep ,it is a BSA 'Standard' Air Rifle made in the early twenties - like 'BIGRAY's' earlier post said.

They first made this model in 1919, and it went on until 1936. The later ones from 1931 onwards has the letters BSA Impressed into the checkering of the stock.
    The name BSA standard would have been lightly photo-etched into the cylinder, however that often is very faint or missing altogether as it soon wore off with frequent use.
    You will almost certainly find that yours needs a relube, and possibly would also benefit from a replacement piston washer and new spring.
    Once that is done it should push out around 10.5 ft/lbs. they are really accurate guns and with practice you should be able to put pellet on pellet at twenty yards.
    Value about £80-120 in the condition it is in now. I would recommend a rub down with '00' grade wire wool and plenty of oil. That will improve the looks of the gun no end, and may push the value up to £130-150. Then use it and enjoy it. Great Guns!!!

Lakey

Trigger pull can be ajusted by slackening off the rear screw (marked 'Lock') and then moving the same screw on the opposite side (marked 'H and L') then once the trigger is where you want it dont forget to re-tighten the lock screw.

thanks for the information gents, very helpful, i may try and do it up slightly and perhaps sell it on after that not decided yet but thanks again for all your help.
    Regards adam

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    as they say, "every day's a school day" thanks for the info!

What then is the 'lincoln jefferys' model? is it quite similar to this model?

(education required)

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272654

1924 BSA Standard as I posted 5 mins after the original thread was posted.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!