Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Airgun Fayre/Classic airgun shoot

Airgun Fayre/Classic airgun shoot

Date of Event - 14 September

UPDATE - (9.9.08) Start time 9.30-10 am. would be a good time to arrive and set up.

Selling and shooting can then start at 10.30 which is not too early for those who have quite far to travel

UPDATE - (5.8.2008) Link for flyer Airgun Fayre flier (http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c.../FlyerJPEG.jpg)

(IMPORTANT - Click on image to zoom in, it's much easier to read!!)

UPDATE (10/08/2008) - Map (http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...geLocation.jpg)

Below in green, is a post that I put on Gareths thread regarding the possibility of running an Airgun Fayre/Shooting Comp at my local club near Leicester

The latest information from the Leics. Firearms Department is that, people attending can hire a table for the day to sell airguns(below the legal energy limits) and spares/memorabilia, if they have not done this in the past on a regular basis.
    Otherwise a dealers certificate would be required to sell on the day

I need 2 pieces of information at this stage
    INFORMATION REQUIRED:

1 Taking into consideration the above restriction/requirement, could anyone who feels that they may wish to hire a table for the day to sell airguns/spares please post an interest on this thread and advise which size table(for date please see 2)

The cost would be:

£24** for a full size table (approx 3 ftx7ft)

£12** for a half table.

**This charge would include the £4 green fee and also include an entry to a 20 yard shooting competition (with vintage gun/open sights)

2 It is hoped that the Fayre would take place on a Sunday in early September. Can anyone advise whether there are any Game Fairs or similar on a weekend in early September

DATE FOR EVENT IS I4 SEPTEMBER

Many thanks
    John

[COLOR="Lime"]About a year ago, I gave some thought about running a shooting competition at my club near Leics. (just off M1)for older airguns, pre and post war, with the emphasis on open sight competitions up to and including 50 yards.

There was some interest, but not sufficient to disrupt the clubs Sunday shooting activities by tying up the ranges for the day

However, since hearing from Gareth about the cancellation of his Arms Fayre, I have given consideration to running the competions in conjunction with a Arms fair for airguns on our club ranges

Gareth and myself have already discussed this via pms and taking Gareth's advice, the ball is now in my court to get clearance for the 'sales side' of things with Leics. Police Firearms Dept. (with whom we have good relations)

The Clubs Captain and Treasurer have already given their blessing and the occasion would hopefully raise sufficient funds for us to top soil and seed our new 50 metre rimfire range(due for completion in August)

We have numerous ranges , indoor and outdoor and our 100 yard range could also field an archery competition/fun shoot on the day

I hope to get agreement from Leics Police over the next week or two, and from other Committee members who will have an input

We have a number of tables for sales of guns/parts; we have adequate toilet facilities but limited kitchen facilities due to no running water. Our water supplies are from rainwater from roofs of our ranges/ storage tanks/pumping equipment.
    We could cater for camping and BBQ's and there is a Chippy just down the road

If the Police say Ok then i will update on a new thread and make enquiries re. who wants to come

Price-wise, I will keep things as cheap as I can and obviously let you know ASAP
    Date-wise, the event would be on a Sunday - early/mid September and this date will be published very soon

It would be a splendid occasion if many of those attending would compete in the competitions as well as buying/selling. These competitions will be geared to beginners and low tech older guns as well as to the more experienced shooters. A 20 yard spring pistol shoot would be included. Entry fees would be low to encourage people to have a go

We could even have a Field Target Shoot (max range say 35 yards) with the targets clearly visible - Open Sights.
    But what i will need are club members to commit themselves to help on the day. So please leave it with me and i will do my best
    john[/CO
    LOR]
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 09-09-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: update added
    hold me back !!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Good call John, hope you have better luck than I did, and if all goes to plan I look forward to meeting you in person on the day (should be a great day out ). Atb: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    I may be interested in a full-size table...
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

John, as mentioned on a previous post, Weston park is on in September, but not too sure of the date. Could be around the middle of the month. Atb.

Midland Game Fair is 20th & 21st Sept 2008 at Weston Park.

Best of luck with the Airgun Fayre, I would hope to attend, but not as a stall holder. ( It's a little nearer than Gareth's)

Proposed date

The proposed date for this Fayre/Shoot is Sunday 14 September

However, for the Fayre/Shoot to go ahead I now need sufficient sellers to attract the buyers

Although the costs of running an event like this are low, the event will tie up the ranges for the day and require some of our members to give up a day of their time to help run the shooting ranges. However I am sure I can convince sufficient members to help, if they can see that it will be in the interests of the club. The intention is to use funds raised to help complete our new 50 metre range that is under construction

The charges for hiring tables are shown earlier in the thread and tables can be shared to reduce costs even further

For those attending to buy/shoot, there will be a £5 charge which will include/cover:

Club green fee normally £4 and shooting insurance for the day
    Entry to one of the shooting competitions on the day
    Free tea or coffee during the day

Again with regard to selling, the information from the Leics. Firearms Department is that, people attending can hire a table for the day to sell airguns(below the legal energy limits) and spares/memorabilia, if they have not done this in the past on a regular basis.
    Otherwise a dealers certificate would be required to sell on the day

Taking this requirement into consideration, could those wishing to sell on the day please pm me, expressing their intention to attend (or with any questions)
    Thanks
    John
    hold me back !!

john if thers any one near to me that could pick me up im glad to help out on the day.

Airgun Fayre

To the top

Sellers wanted
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    To the top

Sellers wanted
    I'm still keen, but need to be a little careful about arranging a table this far ahead as I may not be in the country on the day...

bring and buy

The following suggestion has come from Ray(dogsbody) and is another good idea that we could include if we do not get the number of sellers that we want

It crossed my mind that a lot of people visiting an event like the above may have the odd item of equipment, spare part or gun that they would like to sell. I have seen at other types of fairs etc, a stall run by the local club, I think it was called a bring and buy stall where people were able to leave the items they wanted to sell for display. I think a small fee or percent commission was charged for club funds or to pay the Fayre expenses.

Ray aka dogsbody
    Forward Message

Thanks Ray

John
    hold me back !!

Sellers wanted

Latest Progress

So far no-one has yet definately requested to sell on the day.

I have 2 possible sellers only and a suggestion to allow 'bring and buy' with our club responsible for the selling.

However without firm requests to sell on the day, then the venue would look very unattractive to those who may wish to come and buy.

If I can get a minimum of 6 tables booked for selling in addition to the bring and buy table, then I will go ahead with the next step of enquiring about numbers coming to buy and/or shoot in the classic gun competitions

If it helps, we could also put on archery as well as rifle/pistol competitions.

As well as trading guns and parts etc. this really is a great opportunity to meet and compete with other like minded members, and if successful it could become an annual event.

Please consider supporting the event and let me know if you wish to sell on the day. I will wait another 2 weeks for sellers to come forward with a firm commitment to attend. But if there is not sufficient interest then I cannot justify to the clubs committee holding the event which really would be a shame and a missed opportunity.

Many thanks to those who have shown support to date
    John
    hold me back !!

OK - I understand your situation 100% and would like to support the event - I'd hate to see the opportunity missed a second time due to a lack of support. In order to do so, I will make a firm commitment now (whether I am actually able to turn up on the day or not!). I would therefore like to book a full-size table, please! If you'd be so kind as to let me know how to pay, I will send you the funds forthwith.

Latest Progress So far no-one has yet definitely requested to sell on the day ... if there is not sufficient interest then I cannot justify to the clubs committee holding the event which really would be a shame and a missed opportunity.
    Exactly the same reasons I pulled the plug on the East Anglian Airgun Fare on the eve of having to pay up the £400 booking and £200 insurance fees following three months of promotional activity. Good luck with it though John, and hope you do have better luck than me. As you don't have the venue hire fees and insurance I faced to contend with however (the joys of hosting it at your club), that at least is one less hurdle to overcome ... And if it all goes ahead I look forward to adding my support by attending . Atb: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thanks

Many thanks Paddy and Gareth for your support

With regard to payment Paddy, let us wait the 2 weeks and then if I have sufficient sellers, I will contact you all to arrange payment.

Ray (dogsbody) has suggested inviting other sellers not on this forum including dealers/gunsmiths. I will initially talk to local gunsmiths but i would imagine they may want some guarantees of numbers attending. (not easy to give at this stage)

ATBest
    John
    hold me back !!

Ray (dogsbody) has suggested inviting other sellers not on this forum including dealers/gunsmiths. I will initially talk to local gunsmiths but I would imagine they may want some guarantees of numbers attending. (not easy to give at this stage)
    Hi John, careful . As I told you, I looked at this too but dropped it as each dealer attending by law would have to be an RFD post VCR, and being an RFD, they will need a special licence from their local FAO to operate/trade outside their usual business address -- hornets nest matey, hornets nest so would let that one drop as in theory if you have it licensed for RFDs, it may mean all who want to trade/sell air guns will have to be RFDs too ... Could get a few folk selling clothing and sundries to boost trade stall numbers I suppose but would it be worth their while ? ... Atb: Gareth W-B.