Thread: BSA rifles id and dates help please with pic's

BSA rifles id and dates help please with pic's

Hi Guys.I have these three old BSA rifles and would like to date them and find out exactly what they are.Info from the guns from top down.

TOP 45.5" Approx long marked as a BSA standard .22 no T7021

Middle 39 3/4" Approx long no L13363

Bottom 39" Approx long no 19227 improved model D [Has Lincoln Jeffries patent 8761704 on the under lever.]

Any info would be great thank you.

A superb trio of BSA underlevers you have there.

The top gun is known by Collectors as a 'T pattern' because of the letter prefix on the serial number. these were made between 1936 and 1939. They followed on from the S prefix .22 Standard Models and they had a total length of 45.5 inches. they were the very last .22 BSA Standard underlevers made ( the first being made in 1919).The stock is the last style they made with the letters BSA heat impressed into the stock with the chequering.

The second gun is a .177 Light or Ladies Pattern (denoted by the 'L' prefix to the serial number. Your gun is a fairly early one around 1920(ish). It has the two hole trigger block so the tigger pull was set at the factory. If you look on the underside of the stock next to the trigger guard, you may be able to make out a mark, which would be the trigger weight, which was stamped into the stock.(normally about 4lb) It has the second style stock, with the indistinct semi pistol grip which ran from 1919 to 1933.These guns were designed to be lighter than the .22 standard, and were made to appeal to ladies and boys etc.

The final gun you have is a very early improved Model D in the 39" light or ladies size. BSA introduced this size after the guns inventor Mr george Lincoln Jeffries thought that a lighter gun made for ladies would boost his flagging sales (BSA pinched the idea) It was at the time of the womens sufferage movement, and anything designed for women had a ready made market!!.
    From the serial number Mr John knibbs dates your gun as manufactured between Nov 1907 and Feb 1908. It is amongst the first of the Improved Model D's which eventually went to serial Number 80,000.

Hope that info helps.

All together a great trio of Iconic guns from the one of the greatest of English Airgun makers.

Lakey

Should you ever think about selling the improved model D please drop me a PM. As I had a couple a few years ago and would like another.

Thank you Lakey for the info and for the time it has taken you to type the detailed information on my BSA'S.

This pic is from the stock of the improved Model D I suppose this is where it was sold new.

I wonder if 7459 was there old tele no. I bought this off a chap in brighton 20yrs ago looks like it might of stayed local most of its life.