Thread: Can anyone tell me anything about this pistol?

Can anyone tell me anything about this pistol?

Hi!

I have an old air pistol, it's a single-shot, with a cocking lever on the right side that extends from the muzzle to the breech. You cock it by uinlocking the lever and swingin it out to the right of the gun toward the front. You load projectiles from the breech, which is exposed when the cocking lever is forward. looks to be .177 cal.

markings are, on left side of grip:

"Monogram
    Abercrombie & Fitch Co.
    New York
    Made in England"

On the right side:

"F. Clarke's Patent Nos.
    . 351268
    U.S.A. 538057"

It was my late father's when he was a boy. It seems functional (it shoots .177 pellets across my basement pretty straight), but I'd like to take it apart and clean it up.

I searched Google patents and found nothing. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!!

pistol

Looks like a:

'Warrier' by Accles and Shelvoke Ltd Birmingham 1930 - 1938
    sold in the USA!

Regards.

Mike.
    Michael Bridgewood
    For Sale: Webley Service Series 3, Pre War BSA.
    Wanted: Webley Service MK11 Series 1 & 2

Interested in selling it?

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    A warrior pistol, it looks to be in excellent condition. They are not common and export versions with rebadged names will be very rare.
    As to value ropey ones have sold at auction for £85 and good ones for £150 upwards, try using the search facility on here there is quite a bit of information on them.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen. It is indeed in very good condition, just a few spots of light rust on the outside. It still has most of it's bluing and the grips are still smooth and shiny.

It takes quite an effort to cock it, so I'm guessing the seals and what not are still in pretty good shape. I don't have much experience with air guns, though.

I am keeping this to pass on to my son, but it's nice to know it has some value.

I will search for more info, but if anyone can point to a manual for it, that would be most appreciated. It doesn't seem easy to "take down" for any kind of maintenance, so I suppose doing so isn't recommended?

Thanks again!

I don't suppose this will be the slightest help, but according to Hiller's book, it was covered in Guns Review, April 1980, and Airgun World, Sept 1981.

You never know, someone may have the articles?

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    A warrior was the first air pistol i owned back in the 70's and boy did i have some fun with it! To strip one you unscrew the foresight bead, drift out the cocking lever pivot pin and the front block unscrews like a webley.
    It has a concentric piston with an inner seal and an outer piston washer. The designs achilles heel is that the piston washer is held on with a steel washer that is fitted over a central part of the piston that springs outwards to hold the washer on. This lead to the steel piston smashing into the end of the cylinder and segments of the piston end are prone to breaking of. Despite this they are quite pokey but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired.
    I wish i stil had my old one!

If the patent is any use to you, you can try:

http://gb.espacenet.com/search97cgi/...ed.hts&REF=yes

If you want any more info regards Accles and Shelvoke, PM me and I'll forward what I have found out. I have the original prototypes for the other Accles and Shelvoke air pistol, the Acvoke. They were designed by John Arrowsmith who worked closely with Frank Clarke.

Quick search has found this:

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=E...X=GB351268&F=0

If you are searching for patents remember to add GB in front of number for UK patents.