Thread: lightweight sporting rifle air rifle?

lightweight sporting rifle air rifle?

Hi can anyone tell me if it permitted to use a 0.177 air rifle for lightweight sporting rifle competitions at 25m? I know that this is usually done with a 0.22 rimfire but I would like to be able to do this and 10m air rifle by just swopping telescopic sights for diopter ones.

Thanks

Lsr

The NSRA and Regional small bore associations run LSR leagues in which you can use air rifle up to and including .22
    It is however a Sporting Rifle Competition and not a Target Rifle Competition
    The distance is 20 yards using the old 25m (PL)free pistol target.

However, there are limitations on the air rifle/rimfire rifle used

They must NOT be purpose made target rifles and there are maximum weight limits, that include the scope and glove (4.5Kgm)

Trigger pressure MUST exceed 500grm
    Adjustable palm rests are not allowed. Shooting jackets/shooting trousers/ shooting boots are not allowed

10 metre recoiless air rifles are not allowed as they were not manufactured as sporting rifles and they also usually exceed the max. weight allowed

I hope this helps

For a full set of rules e-mail the NSRA Competitions Dept

John
    hold me back !!

Hi Colin, I shoot LSR in the Hendon league, Surrey league and the NSRA/Eley comp.
    Air rifle ,.177 or .22 is fine as long as it comes within the rules, Have a look on the Hendon website for those. Competions are for open/iron sites and "any" sights ie scopes. I use an old Walther LG55 with a diopter sight for both. I would imagine that most of the current pcps would qualify and something like an AA S400 would be pretty competitive.
    LSR basically replaced some of the pistol competitions when pistols were banned , so there are also time based variants, again the Hendon website will explain.
    PL14 is the NSRA target number
    I really enjoy LSR, it is a bit more "fun" than 10 metre. Where do you do your shooting?
    Hope this has helped, Norm

thanks John that does help a lot actually. Would i therefore be able to use an Air Arms S200 with a telescopic sight?

Thanks again Colin

hi norm

i have just re-joined romford rifle & pistol club after an break of 10 years when the Government took away the .22 rimfire pistols I used to shoot.

I have started an LSR course and intend to get my FAC back and probably buy a Ruger rimfire but i want to be able let my son shoot air rifle too (he's also joined and likes LSR) without getting different ones for different disciplines. I know i asking a lot out the equipment but I will get it in the neck from my wife if I buy too many guns!!

thanks Colin

Quote Originally Posted by colinm View Post
    thanks John that does help a lot actually. Would i therefore be able to use an Air Arms S200 with a telescopic sight?

Thanks again Colin
    Should be ok as long as the trigger is more than 1lb/500g.

One of the leading shooters in surrey uses air rifle.

pennineway.fswo, I think the old pistol targets are PL15 and they were used to start with but as the standard has improved they have moved to the tighter PL14s. And as things have improved further we now use two PL14 centres with 5 shots on each as people were getting too many bulls to count I've had a 99 once. Average is 93.

Enjoy.

I have shot LWSR with an S200 (diopter sight) and a Lightning XL (with scope). It is a fun competition for which you can use all kinds of sporting air rifle or .22LR rifle that would otherwise be of little use in other comps. An old chap I know uses a .22 Mk2 Airsporter.

Dr Bob Guest
    I shoot in two Yorkshire bench rest leagues with an FWB P70 .177 a guy in my club shoots with a s200.

Bob