Thread: Worthy successor to ELEY Wasp 5.56 pellets

Worthy successor to ELEY Wasp 5.56 pellets

Evening all,

Ever since the demise of the true ELEY Wasp pellets, I have been at a bit of a loss.
    My .22 BSA underlevers are English No.2 Bore guns, and as such function much better on a 5.56mm pellet as opposed to the ordinary smaller 5.55mm ones which are commonly available.

I have just come across these 'Queen Bee' pellets in 5.56mm and wondered if they would be the next best thing to the old ELEY wasp pellets .

Has anybody tried these? They are manufactured by LC Cammell,whom I know has had 'Mixed Reviews' in the past for some of his pellets.

I compared them with both old and new Wasp pellets in 5.56mm and they seem to be a compromise shape between both. I have not tried them yet, so am falling on the collective wisdom of the other BBS'ers to give me some info

Here are a couple of pictures

First are the tins

L-R New 'Wasp' Pellets , Old ELEY Wasp Pellets , Champion Queen Bee

Then the pellets themselves

L-R New 'Wasp' Pellets , Old ELEY Wasp Pellets , Champion Queen Bee

What do you think ??

ATB

Lakey

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    They don't look as precisely made nor as short and symmetrical as the old Wasps. But if they fit the bore of older British rifles well, then jolly good! The correct test of pellets in the old days is neither power nor accuracy but whether they can 'shoot through a metal dustbin'. Dustbins are made of plastic now so you will never find out ...

wasps

I find the new Wasps work just as well as the old Eley wasps, even though there have been production problems in the change over.These are the only pellets I use in older 5.6mm BSA barrels as most 5.5mm pellets available seem to seat further down the bore. I have compared both old and new Wasps for both power and accuracy in quite a few guns and found no real difference in them. In my BSAs I have also noticed that Wasps give a lower recoil than any other pellet I've tried, this is probably the reason why BSA pellets used to be Eley Wasps in a different tin. Don't think I'm just wasp mad, I'm not, its just a case of them being the best I've found in my particular BSAs, they could be crap in yours!
    Sometimes when chronoing with Wasps the odd pellet produces a different noise on discharge and slightly more recoil but no less velocity, i can only put this down to a slightly undersize pellet. In FAC tune Venom used to recomend Eley wasps in the HW77, I find this cuts 2ftlbs of power but gives the tightest groups.
    All the best Mick
    PS I also like Hobby's, Napiers, Bisleys,etc, etc, etc but not in my old BSAs

Guys.

I have a couple of old BSA's and Webleys and despite all the fancy new pellets that came along I always thiught very highly of Eley Wasp.

I spend so much time powder burning thesedays the airguns take a bit of a back seat.

I noticed a price tag on that phot of £4.99 is this the price of pellets these days?

Are these "Queen Bee" pellets available in .177?

And what sor of price are 500 .22 or .177's thses days (its been a while since I bought some)

Thanks,

English
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Some people rubbish Milbro Pellets but I find that Milbro Select 22 go very well in my old Webleys and BSAs, including my BSA Super 10!