Thread: power or consistancy?

power or consistancy?

I plan on buying a Theoben MFR. The problem is I need to come up with the right power level for my airgunsmith to set the gun to. I need to balance power and consistancy. Obviosuly the lower the power, the higher the shot count per charge, and therefore better shot-to-shot consistancy.

I'd like to go as low as possible with out being too low, so my lowest limit would be 18 ft lbs. The highest I'd like to go is 24 ft lbs.

Now this is where it gets long range... I go to a range and would like to try out 100 yard shooting. Most of my shots will be within 50 yards for any kind of practical use, it's just something I'd like to give a go and see how it does.

So basically, between 18 and 24 ft lbs, what would you choose for 100 yard accuracy?

i dont think there is serious difference between 18 and 24. the real deal starts about +40 ft/lbs with the heaviest pellets you can shoot the most accurate! 21grain for anything less than 40ft/lbs. 25 grain for anything more powerful. first check for accuracy, then velocity to check consistancy for so many number of shots.

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
    I plan on buying a Theoben MFR. The problem is I need to come up with the right power level for my airgunsmith to set the gun to. I need to balance power and consistancy. Obviosuly the lower the power, the higher the shot count per charge, and therefore better shot-to-shot consistancy.

I'd like to go as low as possible with out being too low, so my lowest limit would be 18 ft lbs. The highest I'd like to go is 24 ft lbs.

Now this is where it gets long range... I go to a range and would like to try out 100 yard shooting. Most of my shots will be within 50 yards for any kind of practical use, it's just something I'd like to give a go and see how it does.

So basically, between 18 and 24 ft lbs, what would you choose for 100 yard accuracy?

You dont state what cali it is so i will give you some info on a few.
    If its a .177 then 18ftlb with JSB's 10.3gr are superb.
    If its a .20 then 24ftlb is great with JSB's .20.
    .22 then 32-34ftlb with bis mags 21.3gr is the way to go.

My MFR is running at 32ftlb in .22 , but it had some modifications done ie. it has a L/W barrel and a awt silencer , it has no shrouded barrel took it off as the rifle was too long with that set up and 16ins so shot count was poor but with this set up it has a 19ins barrel and gives me 50 full power shots. Also re-worked reg and trigger but its well worth it.

Hi Nickorette, I see you found the forum

Quote Originally Posted by nickorette View Post

and section well enough without me posting the link on the Yellow Forum as I was responding via Blackberry at the time.

Here's my take, if you want to be serious at 100yards, you're going to want that MFR shooting super consistent on every shot. It will be more critical the lower the Muzzle Velocity is in terms of changes in POI related to the velocity fluctuations alone. IIRC, you're having AZ build up your gun, see if he can tighten up the extreme spread to 10fps or less.

Have you decided on .20 vs. .22 yet? Historically, AZ always preferred .20 up until the big Crosman Scare of dropping production of the .20 Premiers which were the pellet of choice for most of the AZ Rapids.

Is he suggesting .22 now as the better distance caliber?

Good luck with deciding the new rig!

REgards,

Tony

Yeah, sorry folks, I forgot to mention that it would be in .22 caliber

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan1994 View Post
    IIRC, you're having AZ build up your gun, see if he can tighten up the extreme spread to 10fps or less.
    Thanks for the advice. That's my rational of thinking, that it has more to do with consistancy than velocity.

I did talk to AZ before, and I'm planning on putting in the extended regulator, so that should help things in the consistancy department.