Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20

Quote Originally Posted by bullet boy View Post
    Cant see a BSA Supersport wrecking a WTC scope tho-can you,if it can take the recoil off a 30-06??
    I wouldn't put money on it either way, airguns can do some strange things sometimes

have to agree totaly# gents. it is a great little bit of kit, mine sits on my fwb127 sport mark2 and it totaly changed my view on scopes, allways thought you needed great big lenses for low light. Not any more, if you dont have one then get one , and you wont regret it.

best ratting scope for price there is
    cozzy

best close range scope ever
    The best things come to those who wait !

The WTC is FAC rated cos this guy in Sporting Rifle Aug`08 mag,has got a WTC scope on his Benelli 30-06 for shooting Wild Boar!!So if you say your air-rifle wrecked your scope,then i doubt it very much!If this WTC can withstand the recoil of a 30-06 then its certainly gonna take a slight nudge off your popgun!!!!

I'm no expert but i believe that the recoil of a spring piston air rifle is much more damaging to scopes than a firearm due to the nature of the recoil in an air rifle. i think its something to do with "piston bounce".

To date I've owned no less than 3 Simmons 1.5-5x20's, I don't like high mag scopes.

The one I have now I've owned for about 9 years, in that time it has been mounted on various recoiling air rifles including a Fenman, a Sirocco, a HW85, and a HW80 amongst others. It's currently sat on a very twangy HW97 and is still performing like it did when new!

Best little scope available for the money, IMHO
    blah blah

Cant see a BSA Supersport wrecking a WTC scope tho-can you,if it can take the recoil off a 30-06??
    Read Oddbob's post above. He's right. The absolute recoil displacement of the 3006 is obviously much greater, as is the recoil velocity it reaches. But it's the g-force, the violence with which it accelerates, that shocks the optics. In some springers this can exceed magnum firearms - especially because it changes direction when the piston bottoms.

It may be that the little WTC is OK with a springer, but a 3006'll never prove it so.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    It may be that the little WTC is OK with a springer, but a 3006'll never prove it so.
    Regards,
    MikB
    Send one over to me and I'll pop it on a .50cal. and prove it for you

John

Just put one on a HW77 it's a smashing little scope. It gives a clear image even at extremely short distances, just what I needed for my tiny attic range. As a bonus, the granite finish looks superb.

On the question of 'airgun rated' it is true that the action of a springer or rammer is more damaging than from a centrefire rifle but I would still claim on the warranty if anything went wrong. It never has with me using any quality scope even on the Eliminator which is the most scope-unfriendly rifle I own. On that particular rifle I use the Simmons Pro Air 6-18x40 but a lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty and will be honoured providing you can produce the documentation that originally came with the scope. The problem of course is that the Simmons Pro Air and WTC ranges have been discontinued so lord knows what scope they would give you if you did claim.
    As far as the 1.5-5x20 is concerned it is a fantastic little scope but sadly doesn't have enough mag for me so I use the Simmons WTC 3.5-10x40- which is quite a bit smaller and lighter than its big brother the 3.5-10x50-when compact size and weight is required. As I said in a previous post, I reckon the absolute best of the current generation of compact scopes is probably the Bushnell Elite 2-7x32 mildot. Lots out there to choose from so there should be something to suit us all!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

paddy11 Guest

WTC 1.5 5 20

thinking about one of these for ratting but heard a couple of people havin trouble with the barrel or silencer getting in the way of the sight pic with them been so short .have eney of you had this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by paddy11 View Post
    thinking about one of these for ratting but heard a couple of people havin trouble with the barrel or silencer getting in the way of the sight pic with them been so short .have eney of you had this problem.
    I can see the foresight/barrel of my HW77 when the scopes on minimum mag. It was distracting at first but I got used to it very quickly - I actually like it now as bu making sure the foresight is in line with the vertical crosshair I can be sure I am looking down the centre of the scope and avoid parallax error. After doing this for a while I found that I started mounting the rifle much more consistantly (still a cr@p shot though).

ATB,
    Craig

Brilliant little scope with bright crisp optics. Love the way it looks on my ultra, cant beat this combo a real nice compact hunting setup

I use mine for rats, squidges and woodies because most of that type of shooting for me is pretty close range and a higher mag would be pointless. With the whitetail's wide field of view it makes target aquisition a hell of alot easier too.

I do however swap scopes when Im after rabbits, prefering higher mag and mildots for those long range headshots but saying that, if a bunny hopped into my sights at around 30 yds or less I would have no hesitation planting a lead present in its bonce while using the whitetail

Real shame simmons have stopped making em now... gits. Its a sweet compact cracking little scope, well worth the money imo.
    Some kind of high powered mutant prototype never considered for mass production
    Good deals: clicky.....

forgot to add: I can also see my silencer when the scope is set to lower mag. Anything below x3 and my ret looks like the view from a first person shooter
    It doesnt interfere at all with your overall view.... I quite like it lol
    Some kind of high powered mutant prototype never considered for mass production
    Good deals: clicky.....

It is a great little scope and to be honest I'll probably regret selling mine.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune