Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leica Ultravid 8X42BR.

Leica Ultravid 8X42BR.

Just purchased the aforementioned bino's second-hand.

Took them out last night for a test as the light faded. Findings below:

Initial thoughts in normal light are extremely good. Brilliant, sharp image that is very true in colour. Very high definition.

Continued to test as light faded and was very impressed with my findings, light was gathered very well which allowed me to see while aided long after my naked eye gave up. Compared the image to my two Zeiss scopes.... Was better than the Conquest which surprised me and maybe the merest smidge better than my Victory Diavari?

It is easy to conclude that these optics are absolutely superb, well worth finding a second-hand pair in good condition that will impress and give years of service.

Hope this helps?

Kind Regards
    Peter

I have a pair I bought new, and I agree: They are breathtakingly good.

maximus otter
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

i have read up about these the cheapest supplier i can find in the uk is binoculars uk. however it takes 3 weeks from placing the order to them landing on your door.

sorry guys i think they are over rated....

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1971 View Post
    ...the cheapest supplier i can find in the uk is binoculars uk...
    I did some serious Googling when I bought mine ~2 years ago, and the best deal then was from Sherwoods Photo in Warks.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/leica...oculars_fs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by nice one
    sorry guys i think they are over rated....
    I have before me the review of the 8 x 42 Ultravid in Bird Watching of November 2003:

Design & build rating: 9.5 out of 10

Optical rating: 9.5 out of 10

Mechanical rating: 9.5 out of 10

I'll settle for that...

maximus otter
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

7x42 Trinovid
    Been using mine for 14 years.
    Truly excellent performance.
    You have to pay for quality with binoculars.
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

i have used them side by side with ace avian and they pi$$ al over them you dont have to pay big money for quality unless your a snob .....

Nowhere near Stowmarket Suffolk thank god
    I was reading some reports on the Avian bino's and although they said they were optically very good they said that the poor field of view spoilt them.

Quote Originally Posted by nice one View Post
    i have used them side by side with ace avian and they pi$$ al over them you dont have to pay big money for quality unless your a snob .....
    Yep, Trabants are just as good as Mercedes, and only a snob would think otherwise.

That's why people like Bill Oddie - who depend professionally on their kit, and can use whatever they want - all choose Ace Avians.

Oh wait! Bill chooses Leica!

maximus otter

ace avians ARE BETTER leicas are ok for looking at bird tables 30 feet away

Quote Originally Posted by nice one View Post
    I too have a pair of Ace Avian F 8 x 42. I have compared them to pair of expensive similar spec Leica's (Trinovid BN iirc) and a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42 and there was nothing in it in repect of optical quality. The Ace Avian F 8 X 42 is a top quality bargain. I compared them with the Swarovski's in a retailers and the guy in the shop had a look at the Avians and agreed they were top quality for a very reasonable price.

Geoff.

its true aceavians take some beating i have a pair of nikon 700 new and the ace avians are opticaly just the same .......

Aha! A thread about binoculars - excellent. I use binoculars professionally and also for leisure pursuits and received a pair of 8x32 Leica Trinovids for my 50th birthday. I also have a pair of the little travel-sized Ultravids, 8x20 or thereabouts. I've used Opticrons for around 20 years at work and now have several pairs, the 8x30 Verano being my overall favourites. Recently, after a trip to an Essex Wildlife reserve, I added a pair of Swift 8x42 Horizons to my collection, having donated a few old pairs to their appeal.

So, where's this heading? Well, the Leicas are undeniably fine optics, although rather heavy for their size. The Trinovids have a nice-smelling leather strap and case. They also have a focussing wheel that feels as if it's been fashioned out of an old bleach bottle top, really unpleasant to use unless you're wearing gloves. The Veranos have excellent optics as well as a very smooth focussing wheel which lacks the stiffness of the Leicas and the "lost motion" of the rather quirky Swifts.

The big eye-opener was the Hawke range. Whilst at Hanningfield, I tried almost every pair of binoculars in the display case and I have to say that these Chinese Hawkes are excellent optics and astonishing value for money. The same goes for their scopes: I use Bausch & Lomb and Leupold but it's hard to fault these Hawkes. Again, value for money is amazing. Take a look at these things before you cough up for costly German or Austrian glass.

Finally to Bill Oddie. If you were watching closely during the last Springwatch series, you'll have noted that the famous Leicas were not in evidence. Bill kept his binox hidden under his arm for the most part but they looked like Swarovskis to me!
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

ahhhhhhhhhhhh another sees the light .......

I take on-board the comments above and respect them accordingly.

Honestly, I would not have shelled out alot of dosh for optics that could be purchased cheaper in a different brand name.

Whilst at the CLA this year I looked through numerous pairs of Bino's and concluded the Swarovski and Leica suited my eyes best and gave un-surpassed optic quality (get my eyes tested every year and have 20/20+).
    Bino's certainly fall into the same category as scopes..... Optics all look pretty good until the light starts to fade and then you sort the men out from the boys!

My only agenda was to source the best optics for deer stalking in early morning first light that could give me 100% accurate colour representation/clarity and best low light transmission. I think that the Leica fit the bill perfectly, allbeit at a higher than average price!

Snob I am not, buyer of the best equipment I can afford and aspire to own; guilty.

Kind Regards

Peter