Thread: What Scope

Question What Scope

Hi,
    What scope should i get for FT shooting? I will be fitting it to a Daystate MK4 .177. I am a beginner at FT shooting but dont want to buy a scope and then wish i'd bought better, one scope i had in mind was MTC Viper 8 x 32 x60 what do you think? also should i get illuminate reticule?
    Tincan

10-50 nikko ....

Depends how much you want to spend - or how much you feel the need to spend.

Big BSAs/Nikkos and Custom Shops/Debens can be had quite cheap and are proven tools.

I recently bought a 8-40 x 56 Custom Shop from the 'bay for £87. I would be happy to bolt it to my Dominator and use it in competition tomorrow.

I've got a Burris RA, boosted Leupold MK4, I've had Baush and Lombs, lots of other Leupolds, Big BSAs etc.

My favourite FT scope is the Hakko made Deben 10-50 x 56, I've got two early non-illuminated ones. I find the rangfinding to be perfect in all conditions, the turrets are great and on 20 power (which I shoot on) the optics are good and the reticule is a very well-defined mil-dot.

I do love comp series Leupolds but the standard ret is super fine and I don't like shooting on such high mag.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    Depends how much you want to spend - or how much you feel the need to spend.

Big BSAs/Nikkos and Custom Shops/Debens can be had quite cheap and are proven tools.

I recently bought a 8-40 x 56 Custom Shop from the 'bay for £87. I would be happy to bolt it to my Dominator and use it in competition tomorrow.

I've got a Burris RA, boosted Leupold MK4, I've had Baush and Lombs, lots of other Leupolds, Big BSAs etc.

My favourite FT scope is the Hakko made Deben 10-50 x 56, I've got two early non-illuminated ones. I find the rangfinding to be perfect in all conditions, the turrets are great and on 20 power (which I shoot on) the optics are good and the reticule is a very well-defined mil-dot.

I do love comp series Leupolds but the standard ret is super fine and I don't like shooting on such high mag.
    Hi
    Thanks Simona
    Tincan
    Last edited by Tincan; 15-09-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: edit (spelling)

It's just a personal perspective, I'm sure you will end up with your own favourite in time.

Lots of people use Big Nikkos in preference to anything else regardless of price, and a few use Custom Shops / Debens.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Tincan if you come over to quarry rifles (near Blackwood) a week Wednesday you can have a look at/through
    1: Leupold 20/50 mag
    2: Deben 10/50 mag
    3:Bushnell 8/32 mag

Gary
    ISP Airstream mk3 March F 2.5/25mml. Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 leupold 20/50 Steyr 2014 hft March x 5/50 MTR3 ISP Airstream MK3 March x 8-80 silver, fx impact m3 element helix Ripley AR4 blue Burris 8/32 Steyr 2014 hot all .177

Big Nikko
    http://www.redfearnsftc.co.uk
    AA EV2 + Leupold x 40 Comp

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsmatch View Post
    Tincan if you come over to quarry rifles (near Blackwood) a week Wednesday you can have a look at/through
    1: Leupold 20/50 mag
    2: Deben 10/50 mag
    3:Bushnell 8/32 mag

Gary
    Hi Gary,
    I'll take you up on that, Wed 24th is it? I'm not sure how to find it, i know my way to Blackwood. Would it be possible to meet you on my way? also what time.
    regards Mark

Hi Mark

yes the 24th will be going just after 12 the Chippy opens at 12
    I'll work out the best place to meet and pm you my mobile number

Gary
    ISP Airstream mk3 March F 2.5/25mml. Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 leupold 20/50 Steyr 2014 hft March x 5/50 MTR3 ISP Airstream MK3 March x 8-80 silver, fx impact m3 element helix Ripley AR4 blue Burris 8/32 Steyr 2014 hot all .177

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsmatch View Post
    Hi Mark

yes the 24th will be going just after 12 the Chippy opens at 12
    I'll work out the best place to meet and pm you my mobile number

Gary
    Hi Gary
    Excellent, i'll look forward to that.
    Mark

i'd go for the mtc 8-32x60..in fact thats my next thing on my buy list.

you could also pop along to the welsh masters on sunday at Blaina Gwent. There should be a good selection of scopes covering all budgets there to have a look at.

the new big niko is supposed to be very good.
    Ostler Ev2 in Warren Edwards off set (Pope) + Prem ret x45 Comp Series luepold
    Oaktree FTC
    Air Arms XTi50 Test Pilot